back to article HP's hiring: UK jobs for, er, UK workers.... maybe

HP has refused to rule out making roles redundant in the UK and shifting them to parts of Europe where average salaries are lower. Cost cutting HP last week entered into consultation with the works council and yesterday engaged with union types over plans to slash 7,100 roles across the region, the last tranche of 34k job cuts …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Khaptain Silver badge

Everybody or Nobody

When the upper echelons make these kinds of decisions I believe that it would only be fair if everyone on the board had to relocate to these "cheap" countries and that their salaries/bonus/fees were readjusted on a prorata basis.

If the lower workers can be replaced, then why not replace the entire company.

I wonder if their decisions would remain the same ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Everybody or Nobody

As John Kenneth Galbraith was pointing out as long ago as the 1950s, modern corporations are run overwhelmingly in the interests of their managers - not the shareholders (owners), customers, employees or anyone else, and most certainly not society as a whole.

2. LarsG

Re: Everybody or Nobody

If any of these big businesses cut jobs here and then replace them with jobs abroad they should be completely cut out of all Government contracts.

No business that does this should be allowed to profit from public contracts.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

"our priorities of cloud, big data, security and mobility"

Aren't everybody's? I have heard this mantra from a few companies. This is what it appears to mean:

cloud = any (rack in a) remote data centre hosting VMs

big data = any database too big to run under MS Access

security = the only staff who can get onto the servers are the penetration testers

mobile = apps are still the thing, aren't they?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

boosting employment in Eastern Europe?

Well, yes, as a side-effect, and temporarily. The true (and only) reason is to "optimize the employment costs", aka, employ folks in Poland (for that much less than their UK counterparts) and keep the difference. Good old capitalism, eh?

I'm sure HP would be _delighted_ if the Ukraine were allowed into the EU, the sooner the better. And then.... I don't know, where else do they pay less? Moldova? Scotland?

4. Mr Paranoid

Elbonians

HP Elbonians, I always wondered where Dilbert worked.

5. Cthulhu
    Meh

When I was working for HP around 200 their Ultruim tape drive manufacuter was swapped from the UK (Bristol) to somewhere in Hungary were wages were significantly cheaper. I was lovely being forced to train the people who eventually took our jobs.

1. Mpeler
      Flame

Hungary

I guess that's why they call it Hung(a)ry....they move your job there and leave you hungry....

Graffito from the 1970s (!) - "Watch out for that low-paid person you're training - they'll have your job in a few months". This sort of stuff has been happening in the Silicon Valley, at least, since the '70s.

Maybe like in that Dilbert cartoon, eventually they'll end up outsourcing back to us, as we'll be a third- (fourth?) world country before long....

P.S. No offense to folks in Hungary, someday you'll see the same thing, unfortunately....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Corporate PR - that's a good job

They never seem to offshore that, do they?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I guess this Loxley is not related to that other British Loxley...

The one with the arrows, successfully privatized the tax refund process, championed the common man, etc.

Mine's the green jerkin with the feathered cap...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like