back to article Tim Cook dangles 'new product categories' carrot over $14bn Apple share buyback

Tim Cook has embarked on a massive $14bn share buyback in a bid to calm the nerves of tetchy Apple shareholders. Shares dropped by eight per cent last week after Apple announced its quarterly results, which predicted a a slow down in revenue this quarter. To reassure investors like Carl Icahn, who wants Apple to launch a $ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frankee Llonnygog

Fruity fuhrer

Wow - Godwinned even before the first comment!

2. Only me!
    Trollface

Buy Back

I am sure some investors would prefer an annual dividend, but that might be asking a little too much!

3. Hud Dunlap
    Facepalm

Sounds like he caved to Icahn

Dividends are more important to investors who want to be in for the long term.

4. frank ly

I don't understand any of this

If Apple buys back shares from the shareholders, does the board exercise the voting rights of those shares or do the remaining shareholders get proportional rights over the votes of the Apple-held shares?

If investors want to sell their shares, surely they can do so in the open market, if that is what they want.

What is Icahn's rationale in 'demanding' a $50bn buy back, by Apple?

1. Tom 35

Re: I don't understand any of this

"What is Icahn's rationale in 'demanding' a $50bn buy back, by Apple?"

He wants more money.

I think the next new product should be an app controlled, wearable, enhanced cattle prod.

Give the first one to iCahn and make the app free in the app store.

1. frank ly

"He wants more money." - So why doesn't he just sell his shares, like ordinary mortals do?

1. asdf

>So why doesn't he just sell his shares, like ordinary mortals do?

He does eventually but only after he has stripped the assets and doomed the company long term all for a quick payday. TWA anyone?

2. justincormack

surely?

Basically when the shares get bought back they get cancelled.

3. Fatman

If Apple buys back shares from the shareholders, does the board exercise the voting rights of those shares or do the remaining shareholders get proportional rights over the votes of the Apple-held shares?

In a nutshell, when a company buys back its shares, they are added to the pool of authorized, but unissued stock shares[1]. While in this pool, NO ONE has the voting rights for that stock. They can be subsequently sold in the future by the company if more 'investment' is required.

------------

[1] Example: Fuster Cluck Co, has authorized the issuance of 1 million shares of common stock, but has sold only 800,000 shares. That means that there is still 200,000 shares available to sell if the company needs more capital if it ever becomes necessary. Until those shares are actually sold, they have no voting rights.

Now, contrast that with this example, Fuster Cluck Co, has sold all one million shares, and still needs capital. It might persuade the current stockholders to authorize the issuance of more shares, at the prospect of diluting the ownership percentage one share represents. With 1 million shares authorized, each share represents 1/1,000,000th of the company. If the stockholders authorize another million, then one share represents 1/2,000,000th of the company. Also, stock in the authorized, but unissued pool do not receive dividends, those dividends are paid only to those who own qualifying shares. One last thing, not all shares in some companies are created equal. There are various classes of stock with differing rights (such as 'Common' vs 'Preferred').

5. Frumious Bandersnatch

or a digital payment system, which should probably be dubbed iWant.

Wanty wanty no getty and getty getty no wanty.

6. Steve Todd

The $14bn was part of a package

That had already been agreed. When prices fell the board authorised the spend while they could buy cheaply and it is now done.

To answer some of the points above, firstly shares that are bought back are added back in to the pile that are authorised but not issued. Only about half of authorised shared are currently issued. No, the board can't vote these shares.

Secondly Apple do pay a dividend, currently of about 2.4% of the stock price (for comparison IBM pay out 2.2% and Oracle 1.3%), buying back shares reduces the cost to the company of a dividend and lets them increase it.

7. Jah

sony

Buy Sony and have an Android offering for low value end of the market.

1. Enrico Vanni

Re: sony

and to think there was a time when Sony were thinking of buying Apple!

Buying Sony as a going concern today makes no sense for anyone. The Chinese will one day pick up the brand as part of a fire sale no doubt.

1. Lars Silver badge
        Pint

Re: sony

"to think there was a time". Nokia had a chance too, to by Apple, but If Sony or Nokia or somebody else had bought Apple, Apple would hardly be Apple so this "thinking" is more or less "if pigs could fly".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like