back to article Jolla entices hardware hackers with free device development kit

Upstart Finnish smartphone company Jolla has released a developer kit that enables independent tinkerers to create devices for The Other Half (TOH), Jolla's exclusive, snap-on peripheral system. TOH devices look like phone covers, and they snap onto the back of Jolla handsets like covers, but they contain electronics that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

The solar panel other half looks interesting. Just someone hobby protect but all the plans are put there.

2. Mage Silver badge

Very good.

Some other companies should follow their licence example.

3. Jon Green
    Coffee/keyboard

Let's get this right...

...they're kindly and considerately giving you the right to produce any compatible hardware you like, at your own cost...so long as you give it away?

Open Source is great, and all that, but if they want anyone serious (i.e. commercial grade) to develop, they're going to have to find a different model. It's not exactly a well-known brand outside of Finland, and they'll have to work a lot harder if they're to change that.

Development for this platform isn't going to be cheap. I'm sure as hell not going to invest a ton of time and effort, and spin up a 3D printer, and buy a Jolla phone, and buy an NFC devkit, just because I've been offered a patent-free SDK. I'm struggling to think of anyone I know who would.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let's get this right...

If you produce and sell backs for the phone then they want a cut...that seems reasonable enough on the surface. They've invested time, effort and money on the ecosystem without which there would be no 3rd-party market. Meanwhile, hobbyists are free to bugger about with it and it won't cost a penny.

Those people who are interested in producing commercial parts will be able to get to the prototype stage much faster thanks to the developer kit and it all counts as hobbyist until you go into production and start charging. Providing the licensing terms aren't too onerous it all seems pretty sensible and fair to me.

4. grantmasterflash

Having just received my Jolla I'm already scheming up Other-Halves for it. If nothing else make one that isn't so slippery.

5. Rodney

NFC interference?

Wouldn't the NFC tag permanently attached to the handset interfere with other uses?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like