back to article How bad WAS the parking situation in Middelfart* in 2013?

The European Commission has flung £6m at a new digital archive for storing public and private sector data generated by European nations. Dubbed E-ARK, which stands for European Archival Records and Knowledge Preservation, the new system will set a "gold standard" for the hoarding of old and new information. E-ARK is a future- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. psychonaut

the year is two thousand and 1984

Minitruth is established.

1. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face
      Big Brother

Re: the year is two thousand and 1984

Now then "Citizen" careful what you say here...

2. Torben Mogensen

Middelfart

I can't see how that name is unfortunate. In Danish the meaning is roughly "Middle seafaring" and alludes to the fact that there used to be ferry services from Middelfart to Jutland. Now there's a bridge, but you do pass Middelfart if you go from the island Fyn to Jutland. "Fart" can also mean movement or speed in general, so there is a joke that goes like this: "Q: Why are there so many speeding tickets between Odense and Fredericia? A: Because you have to go over Middelfart." (middle speed).

By the same reasoning you call Middelfart unfortunate, Middlesex is downright disastrous.

1. JudeKay (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Middelfart

If there were an English town called By Af Prutter you'd find that amusing, not so? I agree with you about Middlesex too... I should probably grow up, but IMHO sex is funny, and so are farts.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

It amuses Germans to wish their English guests a safe journey: "gute Fahrt".

1. big_D Silver badge

No, they just find it embarassing when drunk Z-List celebs come on German chat shows and make Fahrt jokes (yes, I'm looking at you Pink!)

She was totally wasted and it was the first time I've seen a presenter (Stefan Raab) looking at the floor producer with a begging look for him to jump to commercial.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I should probably grow up, but IMHO sex is funny, and so are farts."

Not if you're in the same room.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You could try a few British locations

Brown Willy

Great Cockup

Crapstone

Happy Bottom

Scratchy Bottom

Shitterton

and many, many more.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've been up Brown Willy. Part of me hoped no-one would see me.

2. JudeKay (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Middelfart

Heehee... Backside in Aberdeenshire....

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

May I contribute to the degradation of Jude's Friday productivity with Wangqing and Fuxing ... both towns in Jilin Province?

1. big_D Silver badge
            Pint

You are forgetting the village of F*cking in Austria, which is getting tired of juvenile tourists stealing the village sign!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> You are forgetting the village of F*cking in Austria

Last I checked it was spelled with an 'u'.

3. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Obligatory HHGTTG reference

What happened to A-ARK to D-ARK?

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Obligatory HHGTTG reference

Hopefully they are filling up the B-Ark with bankers at the moment...

1. Rukario

Re: Obligatory HHGTTG reference

Not really, we can leave Jamie Dimon and Lloyd Blankfein to be eaten by the enormous mutant star goat.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Jim 59

Data

We can still read ancient Egyptian scrolls after thousands of years. Because a scroll can just sit in a cave all that time. Not so digital data. It requires a digital infrastructure to exist always, and constant trans-coding due to technology advances. Even if you just lobbed a thumb drive into a tomb, would the machines to read it be around after 1000 yrs?

1. I Am Spartacus

Re: Data

Jim 59 raises a very interesting issue. 30+ years ago I was archiving stuff on to 1600 BPI tape. Two years ago I found my old tapes and attempted to read them The best I could do was pay a data recovery company a small fortune. Frankly, my old Fortran and PL/1 code was not worth that so I junked them.

20 years ago I was installed DEC kit with SCSI arrays using 2GB disks. Top of the range then. Now I could not even boot Windows on to 2GB. I would struggle to find an interface card to to read handle DEC's specific implementation these days.

Disks don't last forever, even tapes have to be refreshed.

I wonder how long they think the e-Ark will last?

6. Scroticus Canis
    Coat

And I thought Middelfart was...

...the explosive decoupling of a turd into turd-turd.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nominative Determinism

Spokesperson for a continent-spanning project to future-proof data mining : Dr Delve.

8. Piro Silver badge

Similarly, if you know any Danish..

Grimsby becomes a description the inhabitants may not appreciate.

("Grim by" being ugly town). That said, it was apparently founded by a man from Denmark called Grim. Being called ugly is even more unfortunate.

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"Dr Delve?"

You can't make this up.

10. Torben Mogensen

REALLY unfortunate Danish town names

There are some towns in Denmark that even the locals find embarrassing: Tarm (intestine, though originally used for any long and narrow passage), Hørmested (smelly place, origin probably from "horn"), Bøvl (trouble, originally "bend"), and Lem (member, originally "barrow place").

Then there are some that are just mildly funny, such as Sengeløse (without beds), Springforbi (jump past), Tappernøje (taps liquid precisely), Bagsværd (back sword, though originally back sward) and Middelfart (middle speed, originally middle ferry passage), though we can see why some English speakers find that name a bit embarrassing.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would be better, and possible more accurate, if it was called the Knowledge Records Archive, and Preservation In Europe, or KRAPIE for short.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like