back to article Twitter shares tank as blabbergasm implodes in full glare of unforgiving investors

Twitter shares fell sharply on Wall Street today, wiping out about a quarter of the value of the micro-blogging site within minutes of trading opening in New York. The precipitous fall came after the company reported disappointing results in its first quarterly finance call since taking Twitter public last year. It's been a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. g e

Great Googly Moogly

Who'd have thought that Twitter could be a crap investment?

Blimey.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Looks like they timed the IPO perfectly then!

Actually according to the figures I saw somewhere, they actually did turn a tiny profit last quarter, for the first time ever. If you strip out the one-time IPO costs. So who knows, they may actually start making small amounts of cash. At which point they'll move to the ludicrously over-valued group, along with Facebook - for companies that make money but nowhere near as much as their share price demands. But that's better than being in the outrageously over-valued group of dead-beats, along with Zynga and Groupon...

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Twitter shares tank? Probably with sharks!

El Reg, please insert stock chart graphics.

Twitter shares fell sharply on Wall Street today, wiping out about a quarter of the value of the micro-blogging site within minutes of trading opening in New York.

Such things can quickly transform into the next stock market bubble pop, followed by woeful crackle and snaps. Then admonitions of "no-one could have foreseen..." and Paul Krugman flaming out in the NYT. Better be careful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Oh, this strange language of ours!

I clicked on the article to find out who or what Twitter was sharing a tank with.

Now I'm embarrassed.

1. DropBear
        Joke

Re: Oh, this strange language of ours!

Oh, who cares who else is in it - but is it a Panzer? An Abrams? Maybe a T-10...?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Pint

Re: Oh, this strange language of ours!

For You!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PSA: Remember that when investing in a business using the model of "I dunno, maybe we can throw some advertising in there; that hasn't had the arse completely thrashed out of it yet" your investment can go down as well as up.

1. DiViDeD

"..your investment can go down as well as .."

plummet

There. FTFY

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

"..your investment can go down as well as .."

plummet

To be fair, it's conceivable Twitter shares could have been a profitable investment for someone. It's possible to ride a bubble up and get out before it bursts. If stock prices don't reflect some underlying value of the company, then it's untenable to reject them are speculative instruments simply because the underlying value of the company is poor.

I personally don't buy stock in the likes of Twitter, but if I did, it'd be for just this purpose - to profit from ungrounded speculation and hype. (I don't partly because it seems rather tasteless, and partly because I'm too lazy anyway.) And I suspect that's true of many of the people who did buy Twitter.

5. Darryl
    Facepalm

But, but, it's Techno Stuff! And the yoofs use it, so it must be worth billions!

1. Elmer Phud

Erm, you sure?

"But, but, it's Techno Stuff! And the yoofs use it, so it must be worth billions!"

Nah, it was the escape for those who deemed themselves 'too old', 'too grown up' or just plain 'ol 'FB hater bandwagon'.

FB was only for stupid kids and lonely people posting cat oics -- remeber?

Twatter was for the grown-ups, the intelligensia, 'proper people', movers annd shakers'.

6. Turtle

"Blabbergasm"

Nice!

7. IT Hack

Money for old rope

As an ex fish I stand by my title.

Also "suckers born every x minutes".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Long may their downward spiral continue

until their stock price hits $0.00

9. W.O.Frobozz

As above, so below

This is the secret of the Dot Bomb. I don't know why anyone seriously thought they could do a re-play of 1999 and get away with it. Oh right "Web 2.0" and all that rot, that made it all better.

1. BongoJoe
      Facepalm

Re: As above, so below

The funny thing is that in the investment community the analysts are always saying "It will be different this time".

And guess what?

1. Elmer Phud

Re: As above, so below

" in the investment community the analysts are always saying "It will be different this time"."

Well, they have to - there is no other way to justify thier existence.

10. Mage Silver badge

Also

Would BBC & RTE etc PLEASE stop promoting them? They are irrelevant. People can use email if they don't like writing letters.

1. dan1980

Re: Also

@Mage

Hey - why wouldn't you want to "join the conversation"?

Actually, that reminds me of a skit by The Chaser team here in Australia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMayQpEl6bk

11. dssf

"No one could have foreseen"?

I foreseauood... Hahaha

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2014/02/06/twitter_data_grants/

I think...

12. JRBobDobbs
    Black Helicopters

Don't worry

They can always sell all the data they collect on their users.

1. asdf

Re: Don't worry

The NSA doesn't pay fair market value though.

1. solo

Re: Don't worry

You stole my tweet :)

13. Stevie

Bah!

Hashtagaiee!

14. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

Now where did I put my violin?

I'd better find my loupe to play it with.

15. psychonaut

shocker

No shit. Really? Company that has never made a profit ever isnt worth billions? Fuck me sideways.

16. Howard Hanek
    Headmaster

I Love New Words

I can't WAIT to see the meaning of the word blabbergasm in a forthcoming dictionary. A state of sheer ecstasy while engaging in social media resulting in a flood of effluent. Usually after using a controlled substance. A condition common to Twitter users.

17. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Half a billion dollar loss in a quarter

An average of a $5.7 million loss per day. That is pretty impressive, and I tip my hat to them.

18. Sultitan

blabbergasm.com

Who's up for it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like