back to article 'That was quick!': AT&T ends $450 T-Mobile poaching promotion

Less than a month after launching a scheme to lure customers away from T-Mobile by paying off termination fees up to $450, AT&T has cut the program and changed course. Multiple reports note that the company is no longer pitching customers on the plan, in which users who opted to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T could have their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DryBones

Well...

You do have to give him points for non-infantile use of taunting. In this age of political overcorrectness, damn refreshing to see.

2. E_Nigma
    Paris Hilton

Not Bribe

I wouldn't consider covering the cancellation fee "bribe" because, unless you actually preferred the AT&T network, the scheme didn't offer you any incentive to switch (and even in that case, the only thing you actually ended up with was simply the service you thought was better, not any money or goodies).

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Not Bribe

No you are missing the point :) at$t are so evil it must be considered a bribe yet when tmo pay people is them being all helpful and nice and not to be considered bribery.

3. Mikel

This t-mo CEO is rude and unprofessional

I would switch, but he already has my business. I love it!

1. asdf

Re: This t-mo CEO is rude and unprofessional

Yeah if GSM coverage wasn't garbage (especially indoors) in my city (and from my experience many other cities in the western US away at least away from the coast) I would be a t-mo customer as well.

1. Rampant Spaniel

At$T's gsm is fine add they have low dial spectrum which is better for building penetration, that and they generally have a better built out network so gsm is not really to blame. Tmo is making advances with mimo which will help plus it purchased some 700 MHz lower A block spectrum from Verizon but it comes with issues (channel 51 interference in some markets for a while, not nationwide, needs new rru's and antenna at every site, will mean a move away from sharing handset design with at&t potentially = higher cpe costs). Right now sprint (when its network vision rollout completes and there's nation wide triband lte) and Verizon have the brightest future although upcoming auctions (aws & 600MHz) could change.

Legere is just creepy though. I challenge anyone to find a picture of him smiling normally. Time will tell if he can build the network he is selling, right now it's sub par.

1. asdf

Yes yes I have heard it all before about GSM being equal but the fact is at work I get four bars from Verizon's network (long live resellers so I don't have to sign Verizon contract and pay their ridiculous fees) but when I tried to go with either AT&T or T-Mobile I would go hours without being able to even send SMSs. I also work in the middle of metro area of millions of people near a very large university so its not like I am in BFE Oklahoma or something. GSM from a customer standpoint is inherently better as you are not tied to the carrier necessarily (plus phones from Google directly only come in GSM) and I loved it when I lived in Europe but it works much better in densely populated areas. The American west is all spread out to hell (even the large cities are very very spread out by western Europe standards) and it requires a lot more GSM base stations for the same coverage quality.

1. asdf

Of course once voice over LTE becomes commonly available in the US then Verizon will be GSMy as well. That will be nice especially when the handsets that can do LTE well without heating up and burning down the battery are cheap on Ebay lol.

2. MondoMan

TMob vs Sprint//////Crawl

All I know is that TMob's HSPA+ beats the pants off my old Sprint, even with WiMax. Plus, it's actually widely available here in Seattle,

1. asdf

Re: TMob vs Sprint//////Crawl

And Seattle is a bit more dense than say a Denver or a Phoenix. On the coasts GSM is great.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

best-in-class network

Best in Reception class?

5. cs94njw

It's lucky I'm not cynical.

Otherwise, I'd wonder if AT&T is doing Sprint a favour, so they can buy T-Mobile US with a few more existing customers and better PR.

What else is a cartel for?

6. User McUser
    Unhappy

Pot to Kettle: You are Black

Because AT&T offering to pay your ETFs is a bribe where as T-Mobile offering to pay your ETFs[1] is just... er, being nice I guess?

[1] http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switch-carriers-no-early-termination-fee.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like