Slide out 'More from the register' overlay

This topic was created by Benny .

1. Benny

Slide out 'More from the register' overlay

What's up with this sliding out overlay that seems to have appeared on articles?

Kinda annoying having to move the page up and down to be able to read the last bit of the article.

http://p.lui.li/img-40121_slideoverlay_p-r-full.png

Could you put a close button on it so at least I can make it go away?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slide out 'More from the register' overlay

Doing some A-B testing on a "teaser" unit with three variants, each shown to 10 per cent of readers. This one is least popular and has earned a couple of complaints.

1. Benny

Re: Slide out 'More from the register' overlay

Ahh gotcha!

2. maffski

I seem to have been co-opted into this test group, and had to register on the boards as I couldn't see any other way of giving feed back.

It's bad. I don't mean to be rude, but it makes Facebook look well designed.

The first time I used it wasn't the first time I noticed it - I scrolled to the bottom of a story and clicked on the Reader Comments button, but the overlay beat me so I instead went to some random story with no idea of what had happened.

Now when I reach the end of a story I have to try and make sure I'm at just the right height for the overlay to be below the Reader Comments button.

3. LarsG

Most annoying, though it appears the slidie outie thing has finally stopped.

Please let me know whose idea it was so that I can stand outside their house at 2am and play the Birdie song to them on a continuous loop.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

The Birdie Song? You're a generous man. I was more thinking The Crazy Frog. Or perhaps Axl Rose's best impression of a Dalek on helium, doing his version of Live and Let Die.

4. Christine Hedley Silver badge
    Unhappy

Oh God, it's come back! Please kill it repeatedly until it remains dead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't know what happened there. But it was definitely killed this morning UK time and it is never coming back.

1. Christine Hedley Silver badge

Hurrah! Thank you. :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon