back to article Nominet goes titsup after update to WHOIS tool

Dot-UK registry Nominet temporarily went titsup on Thursday afternoon, much to the chagrin of its customers. The not-for-profit, Oxford-based company coughed to a technical cockup that knocked some of its services offline for roughly 10 minutes, according to a flurry of complaints from registrars. In a statement to The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mr Anonymous

Nominet has dismissed the accusations as nonsense. ®

Explicitly exclude revenue generated by domain owners protecting existing registrations by registering the .uk version of an existing name from the senior employee performance related pay scheme.

Stop discrimating against charities, non-profits and non-corporates by re-instating first come first served, rather than giving a preference to commercial owners of co.uk domain.

Otherwise, I call out the CEO *70,000 times.

*CEO performance related pay for the monopoly .UK registry Nominet 2012 £70,000.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nominet has dismissed the accusations as nonsense. ®

Is that it? Just £70K for a CEO role?

It's not very much. The CEO isn't there for the money then,at least that much is clear.

2. Anonymous IV
    Thumb Up

Offline for roughly 10 minutes, only?

I think some major banks will soon be contacting Nominet to see how they do things...

1. vagabondo

Re: Offline for roughly 10 minutes, only?

... some major banks <del>will</del>should soon be ...

But somehow I don't think so.

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

How many people?

I'm just curious how many people even noticed this outage? Any outage is bad, but other than a complete Internet outage or DNS outage... there's only a few services I'd think most people would even notice were down for 10 minutes... maybe E-Mail, twitter, or Facebook, where the users expect constant streams of updates shooting onto their phone. I'm quite sure I wouldn't notice if GoDaddy dropped dead for 10 minutes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well I just have to ....

@ac

choose your own reply:-

a) troll why do you even bother posting

b) you are correct, god if it had been windoze it would have been down for days

c) just how many firewalls are built on windows?

AC because you are

5. pacman7de
    Facepalm

Routine manual change to firewall?

An error in a routine manual change to a firewall setting meant some of our services were temporarily unavailable. It was quickly fixed and everything is now working as normal

Why would you need to routinely change a firewall setting if it's not broke already.

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Re: Routine manual change to firewall?

Adding a new system/service to an exception rule, but overwrites so other system are no longer covered. Quite easy to do, quite easy to restore.

From screwing a change up to fixing that problem within 10 minutes is pretty good.

6. Graham Marsden
    Headmaster

"Chagrin"

"Annoyance or distress at having failed or been humiliated."

Why were the customers annoyed or distressed? It wasn't them who had failed or been humiliated.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like