back to article Microsoft veep Satya Nadella now frontrunner in race for CEO spot

Multiple sources say a decision on the new CEO is expected in the next week or so, and Microsoft's VP of cloud and enterprise Satya Nadella is emerging as the favorite. Nadella, a 22-year veteran of Redmond, isn't the most charismatic of leaders but he does have the knowledge and experience to take Microsoft away from pure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not looking good is it? I think most sensible people see it as mission impossible with a huge price for failure.

2. Eddy Ito

You have to admit, it is a novel method of choosing a new CEO. Assemble a list of 'n' potential candidates and let them self select out until one remains that will do it - repeat as necessary. It's certainly hopefully better than putting ads on Craigslist and Monster.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Yes, like having a big bag of cherries and removing all the good ones until all that is left is the rotten, worm eaten, acrid tasting blob of mush that no-one wants.

A lot of existing CEOs in other multinationals must have a pretty negative idea of where Microsoft is going and therefore don't want to be associated.... it would be like jumping on a burning wagon...

3. Stoke the atom furnaces

Go on Microsoft, choose Stephen Elop for CEO. What is the Finnish for Schadenfreude ?

1. Mikel

Elop for CEO

I too am holding out hope that he will be selected. He is just the guy they need to take them to the next level.

2. Levente Szileszky

He's a beancounter FFS, with no relevant experience whatsoever, don't confuse his Trojan hitjob at Nokia with actually running a monster like MSFT.

1. Mikel

Perhaps you mistook me

I have no doubt Mr. Elop would be able to drive Microsoft to "the next level".

4. T. F. M. Reader

Ballmer as basketball coach?

Do they play with chairs now?

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Ballmer as basketball coach?

Why not chairleader.

5. Nick Ryan Silver badge

If the MS head of cloud gets to be the head of MS... how that does look for the future?

Doubtless more focus on cloud - cloud - cloud - sharepoint - cloud- subscription - cloud - 360 - cloud and no worthwhile development, innovation or anything for anything else.

6. Levente Szileszky

If no clean hand is available from outside then Nadella SHOULD get it...

...I was saying it from the beginning - server business is booming, far more advanced than any other, shamefully amateur, broken, crappy business Sinofsky and his ilks left behind (eg Windows, Office); I am pretty sure he probably hated the retarded touch-oriented UI that was forced onto his baby (Touch GIU, on a f'n server OS, seriously?) and he more or less was able to deliver on time and on target (sans the utter mess called System Center and its 1+ year compatibility lag behind new Windows Server versions...)

7. Pat 4

Microsoft's VP of cloud

Microsoft's VP of cloud, AKA Microsoft's VP of most successful meaningless buzz word in history.

1. Mikel

Re: Microsoft's VP of cloud

But wait. For a long time he was also boss of Online Services Division (OSD, AKA Bing and Hotmail). As in, the money-losingest operation they have. Surely that counts for something. The man has tons of experience tilting at windmills. That will be helpful in his new role.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pity abouit the charisma thing

What Microsoft needs is a General Patton to take charge and lead them. No charisma?????

9. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Isn't the most charismatic of leaders?" What?!> Please, spend some time a room with the man. Lack of charisma is emphatically not his problem. In fact, other than being shackled by Ballmer and Gates on the board, I don't see him having all htat many problems at all. Nadella would make a hell of a CEO for Microsoft. I really hope he gets the gig.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like