back to article Google helps out utterly underexposed Lego brand with Chrome toy

Obscure Danish toymaker Lego and advertising kingpin Google have together created a block-building distraction for Chrome browser users. The Build With Chrome plugin lets fans to construct and share their creations online, and uses WebGL to render the board and a simulation of fully functional Lego bricks in hardware- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adrian 4
    Trollface

No playmobil, then ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Puh...

Profligate planet's projected productivity plummets precipitously, post popular plastic plug-in plugin's publication; Post perusal, pithy punchline panned per p***-poor P-word performance; Perverse, plenty painful, pinching, plucking procedures planned; "Please!!! Pretty Please!!!!', pleas perturbed pundit, perhaps placating probable punishers. Phew!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not limited to Chrome

It seems to work just fine with Firefox on my Mac. That's my meetings all day tomorrow sorted then.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Obscure and underexposed....

"hardly obscure"

That's the joke.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You see, it was a bit like putting "Conservative, Green, conformist, tech rag, The Register..."

1. FrankAlphaXII

>>You see, it was a bit like putting "Conservative, Green, conformist, tech rag, The Register..."

Don't forget that that the Indy seem to think we're a lesbian rag too.

Seriously.

2. Cliff

Oh bless! You must find The Register so hard to read and so confusing as it is always chock-full of micro-jibes and understatements like this.

3. NotArghGeeCee
      Facepalm

Whoosh!

5. EvilPixieMan
    FAIL

Really?

This is news? The Lego builder thingy for Chrome is YEARS old. What makes it news this January?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is not as good as I'd hoped - on my box it doesn't work, in, err, Chrome.

(or any other browser for that matter)

7. lglethal Silver badge
    WTF?

Wait, what movie?

There's a Lego movie???

How did I miss that???

1. Rob

Re: Wait, what movie?

Being released this Feb in the half term, looks fantastic, I'm really excited (I think my son is too), yes I am a LEGO geek.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: Wait, what movie?

I saw the trailer when I went to see The Hobbit and was p***ing myself laughing and jumping up and down on the chair like a little kid :) It does look seriously awesome!

8. graeme leggett Silver badge

LDD

Lego Digital Designer - a fine programme.

except as my current computer is a old laptop bought back into use i don't have the right video drivers to use it. Bah.

9. GrumpyOldMan

That's my day sorted then. Or days. Weeks. Months. Who knows?

So how about a Mindstorms option then.... ?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Needs moar bricks!

Nice, although unless your graphics capability is up to snuff the user experience is akin to drowning in treacle (case in point: runs like a dog on my iMac at work, but is quite zippy on my ChromeBook)

Really needs a bigger/better selection of bricks though, as well as the ability to use different colours - as any fule no, building stuff with the same coloured bricks is boring.

1. Bluewhelk

Re: Needs moar bricks!

Does different colours, click on the, initially, red square for a selection.

Does need some more brick types though and you can't push things around on the model (eg open the door) as far as I can work out.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah, so it does ... bit slow on the uptake today.

2. Nasty Nick

Which bricks does it have then? the 2x1, 2x2, 2x6's? Those are just the basic ones. And don't forget the flat versions of those either, and then the ones that took wheel axels, oh my, getting all carried away now..

11. Anonymous Crowbar

Lego. The worlds largest tire manufacturer by units produced.

12. BoldMan

Lego is a toy! Meccano is proper engineering!

"the company's plastic block kits are credited with inspiring an entire generation of engineers who have shown their appreciation by building massive monuments and complex structures entirely from Lego bricks."

Whereas Meccano encouraged SEVERAL generations of engineers who built or worked out how to do useful things (such as blowing up German dams, plotting the energy output of atomic bombs, building curling footbridges...)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Lego is a toy! Meccano is proper engineering!

LEGO Technic encouraged my engineering side. Cranes, JCB diggers, cars with gear boxes and suspension, plus electric motors - all good things. Suspension, gearing, chain drives, pneumatics...

The LEGO Mindstorms kits (sensors, motors, programmable logic) look good, but a bit pricey.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its a LEGO iAd !

Arrggg, I can only seem to get it to work in IOS by including it in iAds !

Anyone tell me why it wont work normal like?

14. Richard 8

But will Christy Mack accept digital creations as submissions?

(Don't know what I'm talking about? Google it, but not at work.)

15. Dave 126 Silver badge

Is WebGL still a security risk?

The Reg suggested some time ago that WebGL was a security risk, and since it wasn't used much (at the time) it wasn't a bad idea to disable it.

I can't find any recent news on this topic, though.

16. Alan Denman

Game risk.

WebGL runs OpenGL ES 2.0

So it maybe has as much risk as any game that relies on the GPU, that being nearly all games.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like