back to article Troll-hunting cases spike in 2012...but remain high

Prosecutions under section 127 of the 2003 Communications Act last year declined dramatically, seemingly after then-DPP Keir Starmer changed guidelines to try to prevent troll-hunting cops from clogging up UK courts, it has been reported. According to the Times (paid subscription needed), which submitted a Freedom of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Semtex451
    Pint

Commentards Beware?

El Reg Beware more like.....

What with all the Fry-baiting and all.

I'l toast your numerous merits, but will everyone?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Commentards Beware?

As long as you would realistically be prepared to repeat what you said in front of a copper/judge/mum etc. then you shouldn't have a problem.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
        Pint

@ Sir Spoon

Your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries! And yes, I'll repeat that to the plod too.

2. ukgnome
    Trollface

Is it still Trolling

If you mean every single word of it?

***Yes, I am trolling ------->

3. Jim 59

Mam test

Best to submit your posts, tweets, and emails to the "would you say this in front of your mam" test, and re-write accordingly.

1. Elmer Phud
      FAIL

Re: Mam test

Me mam's deaf as a post

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Devil

Elmer Phud,

As a member of the post community, I find your comment both distateful and offensive! We posts have been discriminated against for too long! Don't blame me when we go on strike, and all your fences fall down.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Joke

"We posts have been discriminated against for too long!"

eh?

2. AbelSoul
          Pint

> "We posts ..... go on strike, and all your fences fall down."

Bravo! Raised a smile on an otherwise dreary afternoon.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Malicious comments posted on websites such as Facebook and Twitter are now routinely reported as causing offence by other users of such social media."

Whats Facebook?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A nest of men who co-ordinate attacks on women

Seems she was a bit too quick to jump to that conclusion but it was no more than expected from a feminist campaigner. She actually gives feminism a bad name, why do some of them seem to lay the blame for everything immediately at men's feet without proof. These cyberbullies were anonymous, yet she "knew" they were men, they had to be, they were attacking her and women wouldn't do that, would they?

1. Gav

Re: A nest of men who co-ordinate attacks on women

She "knew" they were men because many of them identified as such, mainly through the threat of rape. It turns out one of the nutters was a woman, but she was certainly in the minority.

I find your taken offence bizarre. She was the victim and under an intolerable amount of abuse and pressure. Yet you, on behalf of men everywhere, are picking holes on what she said at the time. As a man, I didn't feel offended by her statement in any way. Mostly because I feel absolutely no connection with the trolls, and our (possibly) shared gender is utterly irrelevant.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There were already real laws in place to deal with threatening behavior and holding this pair of nutters up as justification for this attack on freedom of speech is just a smoke screen.

This law is about limiting the opinions of people who cannot afford to go to court just like the injunctions being thrown around so people in the public eye can quash publication of their sordid activities.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A nest of men who co-ordinate attacks on women @Gav

Do you mean cyberbullies don't lie? They threatened rape so they must be men(*). They said they were men so they must be men. I'm the Queen of England. There you go, I've said so, so I must be.The guy threatening to punch someone out is not a 6 stone weakling who couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag living in his mum's basement, to make such a threat he must be a six foot two ex-marine who works out every day. WAKE UP - the reason behind such threats is because the authors live in a fantasy world of anonymity. To jump to any conclusion says much about that person and nothing about whether I'm offended or not..

(*) Obviously you don't know that a woman can rape another woman.

2. nsld

apart from 50% of the people convicted for it who happened to be female.

But hey ho, why let facts get in the way of a little bit of man hating.

I am sure she was quoted in the Guardian as saying the woman prosecuted must have been corrupted by men.

3. unwarranted triumphalism

How awful, she's hurt your feelings.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd better

Stop trolling the Samesung owners then ;)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd like to mention at this point that you're all ugly; dress funny; and your operating system smells of poo.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

> your operating system smells of poo

more like filthy hobo than poo, apparently

https://discussions.apple.com/message/5025492#5025492

3. teebie

Addressing your concerns in the order they were listed:

So's your face; so does your face; your operating system is *made* or poo.

8. Suricou Raven

"or represented unpopular or unfashionable opinion about serious trivial matters"

Serious trivial matters?

Either a shocking abuse of english, or they know the internet very well.

9. Bob Vistakin
    Headmaster

The trolls I hate the most

Are the hypocrites who use made up names.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: The trolls I hate the most

I'd swear at you, but I'm not qualified to use the Hippocratic oath.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So if you prefix your "trolling" with IMHO..

..then you can say anything you like? or is it a case of having to defended in court your own personal opinions formed from life experience alone?

I would guess that there are some people who are so offended that other people have a different point of view they are hitting the "complain about this post" button maliciously. I hear that the Church of LRON have made themselves very popular with employing these types of measures.

As to Mr Fry, I would guess that the proverb " if you can't stand the heat then you should stay out of the kitchen " applies but again that is just my opinion.

I want to know where the complain about the complainers button is. Surely abuse of the complain button should also be classed as "trolling". What about having any opinion at all? people thinking on their own has got to be a bad thing right?

I try to be tolerant to everyone and take everything I read with a pinch of salt but I would say the people who want to use our very expensive legal system to oppress others are the ones who need to be removed from public forums. I would guess that it would work out well for everyone involved, the first would be happier not having to get worked up when they read something that makes them think and the more tolerant and open minded people can continue to make up their own minds about what they think is true.

Everybody happy and it won't cost a thing

This topic is closed for new posts.