back to article Intel to shutter AppUp app store

Intel has decided to close AppUp, its app store for Windows PCs. Chipzilla's used some magnificent language to announce the store's demise, starting the announcement with news that “At Intel, we’re always thinking about the future, which often means making changes today.” Oooh! The future. That sounds exciting. Except this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vince

I noticed that some Lenovo kit came with that. Recenntly I made an attempt to run the app. It never managed to do anything except have a splash screen. So I have no idea what it contained, but I assume since it doesn't even load, it wasn't much good.

I don't think I'd ever heard of it until then and I have never ever heard of anyone using it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I saw it once, just seemed like a bunch of ads for average looking games and apps. That was it really.

2. Mark Allen
    Flame

Intel crudware creep

I wish Intel would use a different company name for this stuff. In the past, a new computer would come with the odd Intel program pre-installed. I'd leave these in place as they were for graphics or network card tweaking.

The last few laptops I have setup are getting more and more of these oddly named Intel programs pre-installed. And it is getting confusing knowing which to keep and which to bin. It is getting towards too much crudware.

I worry that when then finally rename McAfee they will just stick that Intel badge on it. Leaving us with a big confused heap of crud slowing down the machine. And not really clear as to what should be removed.

1. bigtimehustler

Re: Intel crudware creep

Everything that can be removed from the add/remove programmes, none of those will be required drivers. It's often best to just remove everything including drivers and download the latest ones for the chipset you have directly from the intel website. That way you know you only have the latest drivers and thats all.

2. Xyra

Re: Intel crudware creep

To late I'm afraid, they've already announced it: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/07/intel_ditches_mcafee_brand/

"Intel Security"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stick to building the grizzly chip shit and leave the service and software market to people who aren't monopolists.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like