back to article Angry anti-NSA hackers pwn Angry Birds site after GCHQ data slurp

Anti-NSA hackers defaced ‪Rovio's official Angry Birds website ‬on Tuesday night as a reprisal against revelations that GCHQ and the NSA were feasting on data leaked from the popular smartphone game. Spying Birds: Angry Birds defaced by irritated hackers. Angrybirds.com became "Spying Birds" as a result of the defacement ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keep on popping those NSA piggies

You know where I live.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Keep on popping those NSA piggies

Strange the similarity between the letters NSA and NAZI....

1. Roger Stenning
        FAIL

Didn't take you long to break Godwins Law did it. Naughty web tangler. Go to the corner and put on the Dozy hat, there's a silly boy now.

1. Semtex451
          Headmaster

Sorry the NAZI comparison doesn't break Godwins Law it fulfills it.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Lol, I had never heard of Godwin's law until mentioned above, OK I will put on my numpty hat and go sit in the corner of the barrel.

I never make any comments regarding Nazis, now that I have I fell straight into the well... We learn something new every day.. That's memetics for ya.

2. Michael Habel

Strange the similarity between the letters NSA and NAZI....

If by Nazi you meant the Stassi then yeah...

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Stasi works too.

3. BlinkenLights

"Strange the similarity between the letters NSA and NAZI...."

Equating an organisation that collects all your information with an organisation that rounded up Jews and set up death camps and slave labor factories. Right on!

1. WereWoof

Step1 Collect Data

Step 2 Identify Targets from said data

Step 3 Off to the death camps

Which is what the NAZIs did with the able assistance of IBM.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is horrible - now the NSA knows that my political preference is "none of the above" and "kick the bums out of office".

2. Tom 13

I sympathize with the attackers message,

but condemn their tactics.

And I'd suggest that the general solution is to be less freetard in your app consumption if you want your privacy.

1. Tachikoma

Re: I sympathize with the attackers message,

But that's assuming the paid-for don't also have this or similar code. Looking at the permissions required by even paid apps, you can see they are asking for things that have no relevance to the apps core functionality.

Droidwall + AdFree + ApOps/permissions revoked is about as good as you are going to get as long as you are happy to root.

1. Michael Habel

Droidwall + AdFree + ApOps/permissions revoked is about as good as you are going to get as long as you are happy to root.

You also forgot about LBE Privacy Guard, and AdAway...

1. Tachikoma

You also forgot about LBE Privacy Guard, and AdAway...

The English Play store version of LBE hasn't been updated since 2012, so your options are either the Chinese version from the Play store or the English hack from XDA. Adaway and AdFree are basically the same so doesn't really matter which you choose as long as the hosts are updated.

ApOps isn't perfect but does a decent job in addition to DroidWall in place of LBE.

2. BillG
        Happy

I haven't updated Angry Birds on my phone in over a year and I have it blocked from network access by DroidWall.

Meanwhile I've been told that recent versions of the app won't work if you block network access.

3. Tom 13

Re: Looking at the permissions required by even paid apps

I'm thinking more in terms of long term market transformation, or even initial market formation.

The market as it exists is dominated by Marxist freetards. So the only way for software manufacturers to make money is to put in the advertising. Bifrucating the code to take the marketing code out is easy relative, redoing the needed permissions not so much. So what we wind up with is the flaws generated from the Marxist freetards stuck in the paid apps. If the market were dominated by paid apps, there would at least be the possibility of an incentive to write the code with only the necessary permissions required.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Angry activists?

I think you mean angry winkers

4. adrianww
    Big Brother

Third-party ad scumbags

Don't know about Rovio, but the advertising skanks used by King (yes, Candy Crush et al I'm looking at you) and Supercell (Hay Day, Clash of Clans, similar crap) have a well-established habit of putting Javascript hijacks into their ads that dump you out of your browser and into the app store on iOS devices. I understand that the same thing happens (or used to happen?) on Android too. In some cases, it's easy enough just to avoid using websites that are afflicted with ads from those networks, but they keep popping up all over the place, depending on which ad network(s) a given site is using at any given time (and on which ads are being syndicated through multiple networks).

Thankfully, there appear to be one or two iOS browser alternatives that block this now, but it's high time that Apple did something to block that behaviour entirely. Google too, if Android is still vulnerable to it.

In any case, given their propensity for such irritating behaviour, is it any surprise that these worthless lickspittles would flog anything that they can find to the highest bidder? Or just hand it over to the Government for the merry hell of it.

Scumbags. If Shakespeare had been around today, he'd probably have written "The first thing we do, let's kill all the advertisers..."

1. Tachikoma

Re: Third-party ad scumbags

There's a similar thing on Android for download sites (for custom ROMs) where you either get a "download our app" prompt of death, or it automatically downloads an apk for something you declined to download. Sometimes you can end up with multiples from before/after the "click to download", CAPTCHA and "wait 30s to download" page refreshes. Obviously I don't install them, but it's annoying as hell.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Third-party ad scumbags

Scumbags. If Shakespeare had been around today, he'd probably have written "The first thing we do, let's kill all the advertisers..."

He would have been bard

5. Vimes

Anti-NSA hacker

Whoever they are have a long way to go...

http://xkcd.com/932/

6. Lamont Cranston
    Joke

Angry Birds lets the NSA know my sexual preferences?

I suppose it's no secret that I like birds, but not of the avian variety.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anti-NSA hacker, whoever you are, keep a watchful eye out for black helicopters, they'll be coming for you... you used their official seal... they don't like people who aren't their own doing things with their seal.

8. Ryleh

Online ad industry weakens security and data protection

"The online advertising industry weakens Internet security, and has created pathways for hackers and gov agencies to exploit" ...... so by that he obviously means Google, one of the biggest if not the biggest Online Advertisment companies ever?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Online ad industry weakens security and data protection

But I'm positive I can trust google...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The big red bird does look a little like Keith Alexander!!

And the pigs are obviously a metaphor for exploitable data stored in datacenters, which in turn are represented by the blocks!

Its all so obvious now. We should have known all along!!

10. mickey mouse the fith

Privacy?, I remember that....

On Android, using xprivacy, lbe, pdroid or app-ops combined with adaway and droidwall or avast firewall gets rid of most of this nonsense. I dont care if the app developer looses ad revenue, my privacy is more important than the 0.002p revenue you might get when i accidently click your oh so convieniently placed ad banner instead of a menu option.

We now also know the real reason that most ad networks want fine/course positioning, contact read/write and call log info dont we?. Deliver targeted ads my arse, log your movements in an nsa database more like.

oh, btw nsa, my phone reports im on Christmas island at the moment, and that will change to a random location next reboot, I really hope your taking into account the amount of savvy users that are faking location (and other) data reported to apps and not just logging virtual worldwide frequent fliers like me as `interesting`.

I love the way Rovio try to weasel out of responsibility for the snooping by blaming the ad network. No Rovio, its entirely your doing, you read the ad networks sdk documentation, you knew what they were going to do with those excessive permissions, cowboy the fuck up and admit it, and then fix it. They wont of course, and the fickle great unwashed will have forgotten all this in a few weeks and be back to downloading games like this without a second thought to what has transpired and how their privacy has been violated.

11. Sebastian A

I can't help but think

that the more the members of these entrenched political systems try to suppress information and fight to hold on to their excessive power, the more they hasten the inevitable backlash and, quite possibly, revolution.

1. Rukario
      Big Brother

Re: I can't help but think

> the more they hasten the inevitable backlash and, quite possibly, revolution.

When the revolution comes, just make sure you've got your scuba gear...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/22/police-home-secretary-approve-use-water-cannon-austerity-protest

12. Tomato42
    FAIL

Programmers

"does not share data, collaborate or collude with any government spy agencies such as NSA or GCHQ anywhere in the world,"

yeah, they just employ a bunch of morons that agreed to work for lowest wage, morons that wouldn't be able to tell the difference between AES and double ROT13

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like