back to article CEO Marissa Mayer puts on brave face as Yahoo! shows another loss

Yahoo! has once again seen revenues slip as CEO Marissa Mayer struggles to get the company back on track. The Purple Palace reported quarterly revenues of $1.27bn, which was down 6 per cent from the same period last year. Full-year revenues also fell 6 per cent, to $4.68bn. Yahoo!'s operating income for the quarter was $174. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Mushroom

X-Spam-Detected: 98.138.233.79

I get about one spam a day that takes advantage of various Yahoo vulnerabilities. When I send a complaint to abuse@yahoo-inc.com, their mail server successfully recognizes Yahoo URLs as spam and refuses it. That is one of the hundreds of moments when Yahoo should have realized that their days of being functional are long gone and closed the doors, yet they continue like a rotting corpse turned zombie.

Oh wait, the animated logo totally fixes it all. Sorry for ranting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Looks like

They will need a round of redundancies to ensure they make a proper profit for their shareholders.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks like

One redundancy will do, followed immediately by the reversal of two pieces of epic stupidity (the abolition of remote working and the introduction of stack ranking).

2. Fihart

Re: X-Spam-Detected: 98.138.233.79

Yup, the final indignity. Yahoo, one of the pioneers of webmail, is sometimes blocked by SpamCop when I send to a regular contact.

Tried to report this to via Yahoo Mail Help and the reporting form kept being rejected. Report that to Yahoo Customer Support Twitter site and no response.

Recently had problems attaching files (both on my phone and desktop computer). And occasionally the service shudders to a near halt.

Until about 12 months ago Yahoo was a reliable service in my experience, one which I have used for over 15 years.

Is that bloody woman still there ?

2. Anonymous Coward 101

Headline is false

In reality, profits are down on last year. In other words, Yahoo are not making a loss.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Headline is false

It's a lot more complicated than that. It's actually worse than turning a loss, you can run a company in the red for a long, long time as long as revenue keeps growing. Lower profits don't really mean much, anything at this scale really, especially for a company trying to turn itself around. You've got to spend profits on yourself to turn things around.

Point is, profits are a function of internal operations and can be adjusted through operational efficiencies; you've got control. Revenue is a function of external activities and you have far less control of those. Revenue keeps a company alive, profit lets a company grow. Revenue is required, profits are nice, but not absolutely necessary, for long periods of time anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Headline is false

Here I thought it was inaccurate because of a misspelling: haemorrhaging would be correct in British English.

3. Tim99 Silver badge
    Alert

New logo

So the "whimsical, yet sophisticated." new exclamation logo hasn't immediately created BEELLIONS of dollars of new profits.

I am surprised. See relevant ICON >------->>

4. russsh

Just make it work properly

The more they fiddle with Yahoo mail (in browser), the less reliable it seems to become. When the connection is not lightning fast (though fast enough for most other browsing) it's almost impossible to follow what's going on with the UI and whether to try clicking on something to make it refresh, or leave it alone for a bit longer. And last time I used it, the Search Mail button searched on the web instead.

BTW good work with the slanted !, but you missed one in the last paragraph.

5. AMBxx Silver badge
    Megaphone

Yahoo?

Are they still going? Why are people complaining about their services - what do they offer that someone else isn't doing better?

1. TonyJ

Re: Yahoo?

Quite. But my own initial reaction to Yahoo! stories is more "but...what do they actually _do_ that makes them money?"

Maybe I should Google them* and stop being a lazy arse. :-)

*See what I did there?

6. Gert Leboski

That is a lot

... of shoes.

7. Drew 11
    FAIL

Yahoo Groups was fine before they screwed aroundxxxxx sorry, "revamped" it. Now it's a piece of crap, all in the name of web 2.0.

Idiots.

8. Rebelyell

Not looking good for poor Marissa

After sacking the COO with a $60M golden parachute, there will probably be another loss making year I reckon. Google was at its inception when she was working there; and she did well. Yahoo is a mature animal and so much harder to turnaround.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Not looking good for poor Marissa

Yahoo! also suffers from late stage morale cancer. There are a lot of people there who would have been in good shape if the acquisition talks a few years had delivered. Now you've got mid/late stage staff nobody wants and they missed their chance of ever getting a big pay out. You could randomly execute one staffer per day and people wouldn't be any less happy.

But you're absolutely correct. Successful startups are more about pure drive and a whole lot of luck. You don't actually have to understand business to take a startup through to an IPO. But after IPO is a different story. It's much more difficult and is a function of planning and execution. That's why Schmidt was brought into Google. Until an IPO, enthusiasm is more important than financials, afterward only financials matter.

It's fairly normal that pre and post IPO leadership are different. Success in a startup isn't indicative of potential for running mature companies, but it earns you a chance to try your hand at it.

9. Robert Grant

Meyer not the person for the job

Her appointment always felt a bit like the logo change. Part of a rebrand that hopes that enough publicity makes revenue. Unfortunately, that only works if you're looking to be bought by Facebook, Google, or, once, Yahoo.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meyer not the person for the job

Can anyone save Yahoo? seems to me they have no visible product. They're not involved in hardware or devices.

2. Don Jefe

Re: Meyer not the person for the job

More than anything, Meyer is a coal mine canary for institutional investors, large shareholders and banks.

There are a lot of shareholders out there that have kept their money in the 'traditional' big name tech companies even through the crappy years following the .com bubble and fairly grim state of global finance. They're hoping those companies can get righted and turn their shares into many small fortunes.

At issue throughout the tech sector are executive management philosophies. It's fairly obvious, that the same Underwear Gnome philosophies that created then burst the .com bubble, aren't viable in today's environment. However there's a severe shortage of executives mature enough to manage multi-billion dollar companies who didn't learn business under the stupid circumstances the bubble created.

Can Meyer, and other post .com tech executives apply traditional, proven, metric driven financial practices to old .com properties and revive them? If not, then Yahoo! won't be the only big name tech names to disappear.

10. DToma

What does Yahoo sell?

The same thing that Facebook sells. Ad Space. But, there are a lot of unhappy and disgruntled Yahoo users who are trying to get restored what was taken away. Yahoo Mail and Groups have both been remodeled. Not for the best, mind you. But, Groups, especially seems to be changing every single day.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like