back to article Android holds steady as iOS and Windows Phone slip in Kantar reports

The closing months of 2013 saw Android gain ground on rivals in much of Europe and the US, as iOS and Windows Phone saw mixed results in the global market. Research firm Kantar Worldpanel reported that Android grew its market share in key countries in Europe, as well as the US and China, in 2012. Amongst the 'EU5' group of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Just wondering

What are the projections for when just about everybody in the world will have a featurephone or a smartphone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just wondering

I think the NSA have ensured that many will never own a mobile, never mind one that talks to the Internet.

1. ratfox

Re: Just wondering

I saw an old beggar woman in India pull out a feature phone from her purse. We're practically there already.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The issue is phones are now smartphones - where someone would have bought a simple candy bar style phone a few years ago they buy a smartphone (even if not for smart features).

So the smartphone market has rocketed and of course much of the growth is at the cheap / low end (no profit) of the market - where Apple does not play.

Suspect if you consider the market for mobiles phones (all types) to be 1000 phones per year - it will have increased but the split between smart and simple phones will have shifted significantly towards smart phones. So Apple sell more and more iPhones (beating previous records) but clearly much of the smartphone growth is not in areas they service.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

I don't know about that

Apple has 18.5 % of the market in "Rich Europe" and 43.9 % in the US. Your explanation doesn't hold water.

1. Rufus McDufus

Re: I don't know about that

Spain, France & Italy aren't terribly rich at the moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And Europe has over 500 million mobile subscribers versus a much lower number in the Colonies...

2. Philip Lewis

"Spain, France & Italy aren't terribly rich at the moment."

Actually, I think all the EEGs should be in the 'not terribly rich' bucket

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The US market is dominated by carriers who link expensive phones with expensive contracts and don't offer much in fairly priced alternatives. Unless ATT and Verizon attempt some real competition or regulatory authorities intervene, its likely a slow move to the more competitive market we have in Europe.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Well T-Mobile is kicking some ass and changing that situation.

3. Hellcat

Difficult to get a clear view of what is happening with so many different time scales quoted. The Windows phone is since 2011, Android I think is since 2012 and with no dates shown I'm left to assume all Apple figures are for just 2013? For Blackberry's sake I hope that decline is over a couple of years else they might not even figure on next years report.

4. Bob Vistakin
    Linux

It's amazing how much press Microsoft phones get

Considering how clearly irrelevant and unused they are. Why, it's almost as if Microsoft know they have a crap product but think they can market it down everyones throat just by spending money on ads and paid shills, rather than spending it on improving quality.

Oh, wait...

1. RyokuMas
      Paris Hilton

Re: It's amazing how much press Microsoft phones get

Almost as amazing as your predictability. It's almost as if you can't think of any advantages of your chosen platform, so instead you resort to mudslinging at the opposition. You're not a politician by any chance?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

You're not a politician by any chance?

Nah, he's just a bit of a troll.

Although I've not seen him banging on about Windows Phone for a while. Perhaps he was worried when the sales and market-share started going up? They seem to have hit a bit of a peak recently, with the new super-cheap Androids sending it zooming up again. Perhaps that's persuaded him out of his bunker...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well it seems to work for Samsung and Maldroid...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Big_Ted

Nokia 10% hmmmmm

Cut out the great value for money Lumia 520 and see how many others sold.....

Its simply because they are so cheap for what you get that people are buying them, its the same for the Nexus 4 and 5, not the best phone out there but most buy it because its a lot of phone for the price when compared with others.

Microsoft have a big problem, they can't sale without cutting the price and that will make them a budget phone maker. Lose Lose either way.

1. IGnatius T Foobar

Re: Nokia 10% hmmmmm

No worries ... Microsoft will simply use its old trick of referring to "mobile revenue" rather than units sold ... conveniently hiding the fact that 99% of its "mobile revenue" comes from extorting Android for patent protection racket money.

1. Philip Lewis
        Facepalm

Re: Nokia 10% hmmmmm

'... the fact that 99% of its "mobile revenue" '

Do you have an authoritative citation for this assertion?

I suspect you meant to refer to profitability rather than revenue, as patent and licensing revenues have fairly low ongoing costs, while selling HW & SW does require some heft expenditures.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Phone

dead, as everyone already knows.

Why buy a smartphone without any apps? It doesn't take a genius to work out when you watch the adverts on telly, that apps are only showing for iTunes and Android...

7. 404

FYI Apple stocks

Took a hit yesterday with profit/shipments lower than expectations.

Other than that, I still want the Blackberry Z30...

;)

Ya'll have a great day!

8. All names Taken

Dear El Reg: I wonder if there is any mileage in listing ups n downs of savage fortunes on a country by country basis?

Speculative intuition hints developing countries of the up n up with emerging middle class wage slaves and increasingly more peeps with disposable income might favour Apple side of things while nations experiencing economic economy nose dives might favout another flavour.

(Jus' thinkin' really)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

10. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    FAIL

With the usual pinch of salt

Nokia reports dismal sales which is why it dumped the handset business.

Kantar on the other hand, reports "stable" market share for Windows phone with numbers, at least in Germany, that do not in any way reflect casual observations - such observations are about as valid as Kantar's survey-based numbers.

The weird thing is that comTech, the parent company of Kantar, has access to pretty reasonable browser stats. Wonder when Mr Sunnebo is going to have to get a new job.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like