back to article Apple punts patches for holes in Pages and OS X, Windows iTunes

Apple has issued updates to squash vulnerabilities in the OS X and Windows versions of iTunes and the word-processor app Pages. The iTunes 11.1.4 update will also patch security bugs in the Safari application and in underlying software such as the WebKit browser engine and a pair of library components. Users running iTunes on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A maliciously crafted Microsoft Word document that attacks a Mac?

Very sneaky.

Now that is despicable!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iTunes

A horribly crafted piece of software that attacks Windows PC's. Ridiculous that you need such a crap application to give a mobile device features that are a given on every other platform.

1. Quantum Leaper

Re: iTunes

It would be nice if they make iTunes fast, but I guess that will never happen. Even my friend who like Apple iTunes won't use it on Windows, even though he uses Windows quite a bit.

1. dougal83

"It would be nice if they make iTunes fast, but I guess that will never happen. Even my friend who like Apple iTunes won't use it on Windows, even though he uses Windows quite a bit."

A friend of mine lamented the fact it took over 3 hours to update the music on his iDevice. Funny how Sharepod software did it in 20 minutes. Apple software... it's just not my cup of tea.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep - iTunes can't even cope with syncing with more than one PC!

I note that OS-X is now up to 2,066 known vulnerabilities. That's nearly up there with a Linux distribution!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

This site http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-49/product_id-156/cvssscoremin-2/cvssscoremax-2.99/Apple-Mac-Os-X.html

Indicates 76 vunerabilities.

Would you care to share where you got your figures from? I am sure we'd all like to know so that we can make our own mind up.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

See here: http://secunia.com/advisories/product/96/

Affected By 2066 Vulnerabilities

Although I'm not sure why you are asking as you are clearly clueless - The page that you link to that says 76 clearly states that it is the total of vulnerabilities just with a CVE rating of 2.00 - 2.99.

1. Mike Bell

@AC 19:45

The page you cite lists OS X vulnerabilities that were patched a long long time ago.

As does the other.

Whilst I'm sure OS X has vulnerabilities, linking to bogus lists like this does not help.

3. ThomH

Can you name one feature that iTunes gives a mobile device that the device doesn't inherently have in and of itself? You're obviously not thinking of iOS devices since they don't require iTunes for anything. I think the second part of your gripe may not be entirely up to date.

So it's a shame the first part remains so valid. iTunes on Windows was immediately came into my mind when Jobs wrote about the perils of cross-platform development in his Thoughts on Flash.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: iTunes @ Tomh

Try getting music (or any files) on and off an ipad without iTunes in bulk, it's a complete pain in the arse. If the IOS ecosystem had anything like ES filemanager (without jailbreak) I may not kick it so hard but I would still give it a kicking for crap native codec support.. Android has it's faults but shifting data around is so much easier and codec support is light years ahead.

1. ThomH

Re: iTunes @ Tomh (@rm -rf /)

What you're referring to is a slightly more specific than that: it's music the user has ripped themselves, and which they don't want to use a music locker service for. You can even use Google's if you want — it's free and it works across Android, iOS and the web.

So if you bought the music through iTunes you can download it again from Apple directly onto the device. If you ripped your own library to iTunes then you picked iTunes in the first place but you can just grab the MP3/AACs and take them elsewhere if you want. If you ripped it elsewhere you can use iTunes or you can use a music locker. Google's is free.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: iTunes @ Tomh (@rm -rf /) @Tomh

"If you ripped your own library to iTunes then you picked iTunes"

Exactly my point. With WP8, RT, W8 and Android you don't need to.

Jail-broken IOS works x1000 better. Apple puts those locks and bars there for Apple's convenience, not mine.

2. heyrick Silver badge

"Can you name one feature that iTunes gives a mobile device that the device doesn't inherently have in and of itself?" - loads. Try getting an iPad Mini to talk to a Windows machine (no, I don't have a Mac) without iTunes.

"You're obviously not thinking of iOS devices since they don't require iTunes for anything." - huh? iPad Mini iOS7. Please explain how to plug it into my PC to copy across my music (not ripped with iTunes, but need to be put into iTunes to put 'em on the iPad). Then please explain how to plug the same into the PC and give video files to VLC without going through iTunes.

And no, sending them via the network is no good. It'll run at around 300K/sec, a fraction of the speed USB can run at. Been there, tried that (VLC has a built in server).

About the only thing the iPad can talk to is WIA. I can get photos off the device without going through iTunes.

Now, all I need is a light, tight, nippy sync utility that can discard with all the iTunes bloat and just let me drop files into the expected places... [sort of like you can do with practically any Android device with no special software required]

4. clebin

> Ridiculous that you need such a crap application to give a mobile device features that are a given on every other platform.

Such as?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iTunes on any platform is pretty grim

Apple can't seem to get it right here.

1. MrT

Re: iTunes on any platform is pretty grim

...fails to install here (Win 7). On further investigation, it gets just about all the way through then fails to call 'a C runtime library properly'. Upgrade tool, individual MSI, repair install or uninstall and reinstall from fresh download - now Upgrade tells me it's the latest version, if I ignore the error, but trying to run the app tells me the installation failed. Happens on both the iTunes.msi and MobileDevice support MSI, but not the other sections.

Not been the first time upgrading iTunes has borked either, but instead of just letting me drop them the error nunbers Apple try to get one of their support genies involved.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: iTunes on any platform is pretty grim

The fix is to uninstall each component of the iTunes virus one by one, then reboot and install the latest version after downloading a new copy.

Nasty, and why it takes 100MB+ download I can't imagine.

4. Alan Denman

Pawned for how long?

I recall that Google Pawn prize was given for a hole in Webkit which Google fixed a month or so later.

Apple waited near 12 months so how long this time?

I sometimes assume its because the 'good guys', that being security services are a main user of exploits.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pawned for how long?

That's because Google refused to upstream the fixes despite webkit being under the GPL.

Blame Linux not OSX

5. Brian Souder 1

iTunes Update Issues - MSVCR80.dll

The new iTunes update hoses your current install of iTunes. You have to uninstall all apple applications, and then reinstall.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24633790#24633790

1. MrT

Re: iTunes Update Issues - MSVCR80.dll

Yup... that's what I found. But then got stuck in the uninstall loop for the MobileDevice service - kept rewinding at about 99% complete. Answer to that was to select 'Change' and then 'Repair' (Repair on its own didn't work), which still failed due to incorrectly calling that C Runtime, but repaired it enough to let me uninstall it straight after.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like