back to article HP Chromebook 11 quietly slips back on Google Play shelves... but where's the FIRE?

HP and Google have returned their long-absent Chromebook 11 to the Play Store. The £229 cloud-centric notebook is in stock and ready to be “dispatched from warehouse in 1 - 2 business days”, the site says. HP Chromebook 11 is back HP launched the Chromebook 11 back in October 2013, in particular pitching the laptop’s ability …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Habel

Can I:

a) Install Windows 7 on it?

b) Does it play Crysis?

1. Kleykenb

Real trolls love it

No , it does almost everything Trolls love to do exceptionally well ... except for Uber-gameing.

But I still think you can fit one next to the gameing rig your dad bought you.

Then again, maybe it's time you got a job, or ask yourself the question how well the browser works on your PSP4.

2. James 51

Waiting for one of these with a touchscreen, 4gb of ram and a 2.5" ssd. Or even just the ability to upgrade to those specs.

1. Gordon 10

Might be worth a look at the Acer 270. Not sure how upgradable it is but it has a proper haswell processor instead of the Arm jobbie in the HP.

Touchscreen I suspect you wont be seeing any time soon at these prices.

1. James 51

The ram is solidered onto the motherboard. There is a 4gb version but I haven't seen it for sale in the uk. touch screen would be a nice to have in case for some crazy reason I had to install windows 8 at some point.

1. Gordon 10

And a helpful suggestion warranted a down vote?

1. oolor

>And a helpful suggestion warranted a down vote?

Wasn't me, but it would be more helpful if you got the model number right. The machine you are suggesting is the Acer 720 line.

1. Roger Greenwood

Just got a C720 - nice bit of kit, about 8 to 10 hours battery. Apparently an Acer with a touch screen is coming soon.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't see why anyone other than geeks would want a Gnomebook.

Full computers need a full OS, not some toy OS designed to lock you into Google services.

Talk about out of the frying pan (M$) into the fire (Google).

1. Adrian 4

You don't have to keep the spyware.

http://www.geek.com/apps/hps-chromebook-11-is-even-better-with-ubuntu-installed-1574172/

1. ColonelDare

I agree wholeheartedly about putting Ubuntu on it! I used the 'How to' below on my HP11 and it worked straight out of the box - brilliant!

http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

One thing, I did initially install Ubuntu 13.10 (as per my day-to-day desktop, which I like), but I found the screen sluggish - much slower that the native ChromeOS, so I re-installed with Lubuntu 13.10 and its light weight desktop and it flys. I love it, 6-7hrs battery life, 100% stable and with LibreOffice, Gimp, Thunderbird, UbuntuOne etc it's all good.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
          Windows

"One thing, I did initially install Ubuntu 13.10 (as per my day-to-day desktop, which I like), but I found the screen sluggish - much slower that the native ChromeOS, so I re-installed with Lubuntu 13.10 and its light weight desktop and it flys."

Interesting: what video adaptor do these things have? (lshw?) I'm wondering if the full Ubuntu's use of 3d/composited desktop is causing the slowdown. I know little about ARM based machines.

2. Tom 7

You're not locked in

you can install a thing called crouton and run a full blown linux on it apparently.

I'm waiting for the Dell the reg reported would be out next month for £125 tho...

1. Tom 7

Re: You're not locked in

oops - seems its abit more than that - possibly the same price as the HP

3. Bill the Sys Admin

as oppose being locked into MS? The OS serves a purpose to consume media quickly and easily on the interwebz. If anything its safer for the tech illiterate than windows

1. ratfox
        Happy

^ this

Schools apparently enjoy very much the idea that they don't need to worry about viruses in whatever the student downloaded. Lack of features as a feature!

4. LS650

I have both a Chromebook -and- a Windows laptop. Does that make me a semi-geek?

1. Snips

Makes you enlightened, some would say.

5. Joe Montana

Full OS?

You have it backwards, only geeks need a full OS...

For the average user, a minimal system controlled by someone else (ie someone actually technically literate to manage a computer) is what they need. End users don't want the complexity or risks involved with a full blown OS, they just want to get stuff done. This is also why ipads and games consoles are popular.

What we do need however, are alternatives to chromebooks which aren't controlled by google (but are still controlled by someone, since most end users are not capable of managing their own internet connected computers).

6. Snips

Get with the programme.

Presumably, AC, you've never used a Chromebook yet feel qualified to add polemic and prejudice.

Chromebooks are personal notebooks for cloud use. There's a clue in the name. They are useful tools, just like Macs and PC's; smart terminals onto a big world which co-operate with your 'other' machine.

They don't do some things but they do others very well; document collaboration in enterprise and education, synchronisation of personal documents across Windows, OSx, and Linux machines, Cloud printing, electronic document creation and exchange, and 'casting' of almost everything to a screen equipped with a Chromecast dongle. There's built in RDP to connect to your 'other' computer', and free Google Office Apps. Chromebooks also work with free MS Online Apps. They don't cost Surface or MacBook prices.

Users, after the shock of being de-OS'd tend to find the clean Chrome environment refreshing. They just get on with creating instead of moaning about the OS. Chromebook users tend to talk about what the machine can do, instead of what it can't.

Chromebooks make users more productive, especially as an adjunct to their 'other' computer' and the current Haswell machines are fast and cheap. Chromebooks also work offline. They enable more keyboardly creativity than tablets, especially for writers.and academics. The Chrome environment is under daily development. Updates are frequent and usually beneficial. The user experience, even with 2Gb ram and 16Gb of store is fluid and pleasant. The machines are light and portable. They come with 100Gb of online store. They connect to networked NAS boxes and removable drives. And so on.

Spreading prejudices around in the form of commentardly FUD is pointless, other than for the self-satisfaction of Cowardly trolling. No-one is compelling you to use one, though this post came from one.

1. Trooper_ID

Re: Get with the programme.

But will it work on my weekly transatlantic flights to while away the frustratingly non productive time?

4. Sporkinum

Apparently you can't use play credit at the play store for hardware. So people of have gotten credit through promotions or deals are stuck using it on programs.

5. Gordon 10

Interestingly

The play store lists neither the screen res or the cpu speed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interestingly

"The play store lists neither the screen res or the cpu speed."

You could go to a library, and look them up in a copy of PC Pro? Or ask a knowledgeable friend to look it up on the internet for you?

1. PJI

>> You could go to a library, and look them up in a copy of PC Pro? Or ask a knowledgeable friend to look it up on the internet for you?

I assume you are taking the piss, out of the sales web site of course as you would never mock a buyer for expecting the seller to provide some information.

Or perhaps you are just displaying the common, smug ignorance of so many of we commenters.

On the other hand, perhaps you are a chromebook fan ….

2. Alan 6

1366 x 768

1.7Ghz Samsung Exynos 5 Dual Core ARM cpu

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1303084/hp-chromebook-11/specifications

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To late! Too late! Cried the man from Acer

Who's Haswell based offering has well and truly stolen HP's thunder.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would anyone buy anything from HP?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like