back to article Honda android to conduct symphony orchestra

Detroit Symphony Orchestra conductor Thomas Wilkins could be getting worried, because the US classical music ensemble has orchestrated plans to replace him - temporarily at least - with a Honda robot. Next month, the car manufacturer’s Asimo - which stands for Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility, apparently - will conduct the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

If Actors can be wooden

... I supposed a plastic-conductor is OK (and interesting electrically?)

JDM

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Music focus today?

It's gonna go like this - Foo Bah-Bah-dun dun Bah-Baaah dun Yo-Yo Ma - aaarrrgh!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

RoTM! RoTM!

If it's the 1812 overture, the "surprise" is traditionally done with the accompaniment of cannon.

Grapeshot anyone?

Dont bother with the coat dear, just my running shoes please.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

You what?

Shouldn't that be 'FU BAR-BAR-BAR-BARRR'?

5. A J Stiles
    Paris Hilton

What I want now .....

What I want now is an entire orchestra composed (though, to be brutally honest, I'd settle for a string quartet) of robots equipped traditional instruments, which can be controlled via MIDI (each robot mapped onto a MIDI voice).

6. Lars Silver badge
    Coat

Can-can bye robots

Bye very sexy and very stripped (original fashion) girl robots. Comming soon, perhaps but I wont be there.

Then again perhaps all that fuss infront of the orchestra, arse towards paying customers, has been unnecessary all these years.

Sorry that was unnecessary, but so was this story on on, where the hell am I anyway.

7. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Re: Can-can robots

Sorry, lost i dreams, lost my point, would that be a harware or a software patent.

8. Simon Harris

@A J Stiles...

Wonder whatever happened to the Wabot II ?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Player Piano

I believe (and this is completely hunch based) that a human conductor does more than just wave his/her hands (and other body parts) based on the notes.

This is just another one of those things... Like when Deep Blue won Kasparov, all the retards thought that AI is here, finally.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wish...

...Honda would hurry up and get these on the market. I want to have one follow me around and beat up people who annoy me - slow walkers, chavs, loud children and so on. Then I can just blame the robot "got a mind of his own guv".

Not conducting FFS, what use is that to anyone?

This topic is closed for new posts.