back to article Boffins measure 27 quantum states of light

One of the key tenets of quantum mechanics, that it's impossible to measure a quantum state without collapsing the wave function, has taken an arrow to the knee, courtesy of a University of Rochester experiment. Building on work carried out in 2011 at the National Research Council of Canada, the UoR researchers say they've …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Allan George Dyer
    Facepalm

Improve quantum-based secure communications systems?

Doesn't it break them instead? The whole point of quantum crypto is that observing the communication breaks it, but this says you can make a weak measurement and not change the state. Or am I missing something?

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Improve quantum-based secure communications systems?

From the Rochester page:

"It does, however¬, give partial information on the health of the cat, which when repeated many times can lead to near certain information as to whether the cat is alive or dead."

I look it as taking many blood samples and looking, for instance, at the oxygenation of the blood to determine if it's probably alive before opening the box and stabbing it in the brain with a volt meter to measure electrical activity. Sure, with each blood sample the cat's health may change but we'll still be able to measure something else when it comes time to burn the last bridge, or something like that.

1. Charles Manning

Better not take a change

Give the cat another few whacks with the cricket bat/

2. Denarius
    Thumb Up

27 rings a bell

irrelevant ? dunno. One theory of everything starts with 27 dimensions. Any connection ? At least it was not 42

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: 27 rings a bell

No, it is just the size of a teeny tweeny Hilbert space.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

off topicish

Ross Anderson (if you don't like him don't bother reading further) et al have set the cat among the pigeons with this: http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2014/01/20/why-bouncing-droplets-are-a-pretty-good-model-of-quantum-mechanics/

Some pretty pissed quantum mechanics out there!

Re: off topicish

> /why-bouncing-droplets-are-a-pretty-good-model-of-quantum-mechanics

No.

4. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I understood every word of that.

The actual sentences, on the other hand...

5. Jedit Silver badge

You must have seen the movie, you must have read the book

Did it never occur to Schrodinger that the cat was an observer?

1. Matthew 25

Re: You must have seen the movie, you must have read the book

Potentially

6. AceRimmer1980

27 States?

3 cats may have been harmed during the course of this experiment.

7. All names Taken
    Happy

The quanta were aware of a nomenclature scheme based on 26 letter alphabet and thought they would play a joke on the researchers no?

1. Colin Wilson 2

Maybe they were Spanish?

8. mark 58
    FAIL

[quote]You can only view the cat as alive or dead [quote] - eerr... what the heck are you on about Mr Fry ? Famously misunderstood seems to apply to your article as well. Not a big fan of it, but check out the wikipedia entry for at least a coherent explaination.

9. myhandler

I read a book ages ago where Russian physicist Lazar Mayants said that QM theory was a result of misinterpreting the maths and that it was misleading.. he was described as 'fringe'.. but maybe he was closer. (Just think what this could do for the climate debate..)

This discussion has been had and was buried dead.

1. Tom 13

Just because you buried one box doesn't mean both cats are dead.

IIRC, the box had an independent oxygen supply for the trip through space, just to ensure the wave form didn't collapse before the box was opened.

10. Nessalc
    Boffin

Nobody understands...

"I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics." - Richard Feynman

11. agricola
    Boffin

All It Takes is a Galaxy-Sized Computer. The NSA Could Do It if They Had Spare Time

Was there ever any salmon of doubt?

Poor Heisenberg; Poor Physics Discipline; Poor Physicists; Poor Physics Students:

now , instead of not knowing which of two states (I know, I know: at the same time) is the correct one, now we don't know which of twenty-seven states, at the same time, is the correct one.

But this is great news for all the "quantum physics pseudoscientists": more fodder for their artificial intelligence.

****************************************************************************

"Aachh!"--one can almost hear him exclaim--"This [(quantum physics) paper/hypothesis] is so bad, it's not even wrong."--Wolfgang Pauli

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics"--Richard Feynman

Facepalm

Re: All It Takes is a Galaxy-Sized Computer. The NSA Could Do It if They Had Spare Time

Oh God, why?

12. Pascal Monett Silver badge

27 Dimensions ????

We can barely measure 4 properly, what on God's Green Earth makes them think they can measure 27 ?

"Dimension" must not have the meaning I think it has.

Re: 27 Dimensions ????

Dimension = free variable.

In classical space at time "t", 3 real-valued coordinates suffice to describe the position of a "mass point".

With two particles, you need 6 real-valued coordinates. The space of two particles has 6 dimensions! (Why 3 + 3 instead of 3 x 3? Dunno, lol!)

etc..

Same here: 27 complex values => 27 dimensions.

13. Schultz

Many measurements --> more classical physics

A weak measurement will never determine whether Schroedinger's cat is alive. It can only determine the average probability of cats in Copenhagen (or at some large cat-containing place of your choice) being black or white. Spoiler alert: the answer is grey, unless you prepared the cats to be spotted, in which case the answer may be white with 17 grey spots.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so Shrodinger is driving down the road and gets pulled over by a cop

cop searches car: "I see there's a dead cat in the boot"

"well there is now!" says Shrodinger

This topic is closed for new posts.