back to article China forces users to upload videos under their real names

Any Chinese netizens who want to post videos to Chinese sites online will have to do so under their real names from now on, the official regulator has said. China's State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television said on its website that the requirement is designed to "prevent vulgar content, base art …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

In china?

A Mr Zhang has uploaded a video critical to the government - go and arrest him.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I hear

I hear Ed Miliband has taken this on board to woo the middle classes and mumsnet as one of Labours flagship policies for the next election, so that they can get their Union friends at Unite to identify and picket anyone disagreeing with him.

Ed is of course the same man who met President Holland, congratulating him on his win and his new economic policies of spend and taxation as the way forward and what Britain must emulate.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: I hear

That would be like emulating a pink-painted Death Star.

Surely there must be a new hope?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seeing as your online access is followed by NSA et al, no one in the west is being treated any differently than Communist China.

Eye opener that.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finally China catches up

I believe that Google and Facebook at least require this as well. Admittedly its not a legal requirement but I believe it is a term of use that your account is in your real name.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought "vulgar content, base art forms, exaggerated violence and sexual content" were the entire point of the internet. Just me? Oh.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Yes, just you.

5. Mark 85

Google and Facebook?

Require real names? I'm sure they do but how are they enforcing it? Unless some form of ID is presented to whoever, there's never a guarantee that anyone is who they say they are on the Interwebs. Dogbert said it best: "On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog".

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Also, time to re-read True Names.

In the once upon a time days of the First Age of Magic, the prudent sorcerer regarded his own true name as his most valued possession but also the greatest threat to his continued good health, for - the stories go - once an enemy, even a weak unskilled enemy, learned the sorcerer's true name, then routine and widely known spells could destroy or enslave even the most powerful. As times passed, and we graduated to the Age of Reason and thence to the first and second industrial revolutions, such notions were discredited. Now it seems that the Wheel has turned full circle (even if there never really was a First Age) and we are back to worrying about true names again:

The first hint Mr. Slippery had that his own True Name might be known - and, for that matter, known to the Great Enemy - came with the appearance of two black Lincolns humming up the long dirt driveway that stretched through the dripping pine forest down to Road 29. Roger Pollack was in his garden weeding, had been there nearly the whole morning, enjoying the barely perceptible drizzle and the overcast, and trying to find the initiative to go inside and do work that actually makes money. He looked up the moment the intruders turned, wheels squealing, into his driveway. Thirty seconds passed, and the cars came out of the third-generation forest to pull up beside and behind Pollack's Honda. Four heavyset men and a hard-looking female piled out, started purposefully across his well-tended cabbage patch, crushing tender young plants with a disregard which told Roger that this was no social call.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasn't this also an idea brought up by our own (UK) government at one point?

Don't we also have rule/regulation where by sim cards are supposed to be registered with real names....

Don't Google force you to use your real name publicly if you want to use their Google+ services?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So too in the U.S.

Recent reports have cited large numbers of web-sites now wanting to eliminate anonymous posting for the same excuses given by China.

8. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Black Helicopters

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=XAU4aZVrYv4C&pg=PA470&lpg=PA470&dq=Eric+Laithwaite+defies+Newton&source=bl&ots=ROtmWVCPqq&sig=daKKO7vlABUdZ9Eocd_KVwF9Xf0&hl=en&ei=wIzITeSuDYnpOe-G8dQH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=white%20paper%20data%20banks%20lord%20harris&f=false

A google morass but second paragraph down on the article:

White paper for the TV-less.

"While most other highly computerised countries have seen the need to impose strict legislative controls on data banks, Britain is so wonderful that no such legislation will be needed here"

The article goes on to discuss the agency that has my name on its data base and uses it to send me threatening letters regularly. It has also opened overt and covert investigations on me.

It is the BBC license data bank.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like