back to article Anti-Scientology crusader vaporized from YouTube

YouTube has vaporized a popular user account dedicated to criticizing The Church of Scientology. Last Thursday, the world's most popular video sharer removed the 10,000-subscriber-strong "Xenutv1" channel run by Mark Bunker, a television journalist/well-known Scientology naysayer. Earlier in the week, Bunker posted a teaser …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I'm Spartacus!

""They said that because my first account was canceled, I was never supposed to have a second account," Bunker explained. "I was supposed to be banned for life.""

The obvious solution is to ask a friend to host all the stuff on his behalf, and post as e.g. Xenutv2. Alternatively, and just in case that falls under a rule banning meatpuppets, ask for volunteers; if hundreds of people upload the videos perhaps Youtube will back down. It's a lot of free publicity for Mr Xenutv and hardly makes Scientology look kind and gentle.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Trolls of the world unite...

...and take over!

I wouldn't go as far as calling Anonymous a movement, as much as another meme from the #chans. They protest against scientology by real-life Rick-rolling, for gods sake. Still, it's people power at its very best.

Anon posting ftw!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vimeo

Vimeo seems to be a much better service for anything not recorded on a cellphone. Higher quality and longer video time.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Anonymous a portest movement?

"an internet protest movement known as Anonymous - which sprung up after YouTube erased the Cruise clip from its entire site"

Never laughed so hard in my life!

Anonymous are a bunch of soul-less geeks that spend most of their lives insulting each other, only occasionally uniting to try and take down anyone that thought they were bigger and better. They're made up of black hats and asshats. The beef with scientology was firmly because they took down the funny video of tom cruise, and their initial reaction (DDOS, prank calls, nuisance faxes, death threats) was far more in line with their modus operandi than the new "legit" protestors.

Still, anyone that wants to take a chunk of scientology is alright by me.

5. Steve
    Thumb Up

I'm Spartacus! too...

yep lets all host it, where can I get a copy?

6. Zohar Lee

Help me Stephen Colbert

Given that youtube is owned by google and is based out of america, could bunker not argue that the removal of non-copyrighted information was in itself an infringement of his right to free speech and as such sue the parent companies for this, thus gaining a higher profile for his cause?

7. saatmarket
    Thumb Up

respect other religous beliefs

I recommend to follow human rights and respecting others beliefs. Scientologists i met are nicest people on the planet!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Better yet...

... get lots of YouTubers to upload a trailer directing viewers to the new hosts.

Will YouTube cancel all these users' accounts and drive them to the competion, or will they crumble and reinstate the Mark Bunker's account...?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

@Anonymous a portest movement

Asshat - you need to trademark that term.

I vote asshat the Reg Word of the Week.

Anonymous in support of all the other asshats out there.

The penguin because it's the choice of asshats everywhere.

10. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Anonymous a portest movement

Hey, I've been using 'asshat' for years.

Assbag.

11. Ros

If you want to avoid censorship

Host it on your own domain, backed up by a host that won't bow to unfounded legal threats.

User-generated content is always going to be a legal minefield, and there are costs to moderating it. I can see why Google don't want the hassle.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Account policy

So, you infringe copyright once and you can never post on PooToob again? Because they won't let you comply with the takedown notice, so the notice remains in force. Catch-22 anyone?

13. Elmer Phud
    Alien

Respek

Which planet would that be?

14. DirkGently
    Thumb Up

@Ros

"If you want to avoid censorship"???

No! If you want publicity, you need to court censorship! Public interest rises as the battle hots up. Kudos to YouTube for bringing this to the wider public view by banning it.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

re: Anonymous

It's quite true that the whole protest movement started out as yet another raid by the #chans, but things changed once Mark Bunker put a video on his Youtube channel saying "Er, guys, knock off the DDoS BS, you're not helping": it happened and led to the movement dispersing, setting up new bases of operation and joining forces with established anti-Scientology voices. In fact the majority of posts on the subject within the #chans now rubbish the whole idea, as it's gone mainstream and thus doesn't fit the "l33t haxx0rz on steroids" image the more pimply-faced, daylight-averse posters like to project. Anonymous is now an entity distinct from the #chans, but irretrievably entwined with them.

While the Rickrolling (also now gone mainstream, but that's a matter for a different post) and meme-shouting do feature at the protests, these seem to have taken on the mantle of acting as a unifying force for what is, basically, a bunch of people wearing masks to protect their identity who do not know one another to get behind and hang their protest off, and there is some pretty creative work being done in welding these into actual protest slogans, activities and chants. In any event, it doesn't seem to matter what's actually being said, as long as it's legal and noisy enough to attract the attention of passers-by, who are engaged by legions of leaflet-wielding protesters who are passionate and articulate about the cause. It seems to work, though the jury's out as to how this is going to pan out in the long term.

If nothing else, the whole thing is a remarkable insight into how the power of the Internets can be harnessed to rapidly create and deploy a huge body of people who are prepared to engage in mass peaceful protest which is at the same time completely without a hierarchical structure.

16. David Cornes

Monopoly?

What's the big deal?? Is YouTube the *only* video/sharing host on the t'Internweb? If they won't take your custom then plenty of others will. After all it's just a different domain name in any links you post, not exactly a big deal for viewers?!

Also being pedantic, but if the clips were previews of the guy's OWN videoed interview, won't they be subject to HIS copyright, not non-copyrighted per se?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hair piece

I only wear my asshat when my poupée's being repaired.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

@Ros

Post it on Pirate Bay. Arrr.

19. Gav
    Alert

Free Speech

Zohar Lee; "removal of non-copyrighted information was in itself an infringement of his right to free speech"

The American constitution says that the Government cannot limit American citizens right to free speech. As Google is not the American government, his right to free speech is irrelevant. Google, and hence YouTube, can decide who gets to say what on their websites and can remove whatever they wish for whatever reason they like.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ Sarah Bee

As in the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Sarah Bee? or is u justa poser? If'in u is the real deal den mista Bunker be in like flintstone.

Posting Anon because most of the rest of you are. And I just don't feel very much like a salmon today, need more coffee first. Need to go find some new Verity she makes me laugh BoFH is good to.

@Account policy

Just tell them you want to keep flying and they will think you are nuts and let you out.

Was that a run on? Kinda wuz darn I need more coffee. And why do I keep thinking of comedians spawning right now?

Grumbles while looking for the peruvian high grown.

21. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @ Sarah Bee

That's Samantha Bee you're thinking of. But yes, I am just a poser. I changed my name especially.

I kind of lost interest in your comment after that.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Re: @Anonymous a portest movement

Not sure if it's the first use of asshat but it certainly is the funniest I've seen:

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/2008/02/heere-bigynneth.html

23. dervheid
    Paris Hilton

Coyright Content?

On youtube?

Never.

Well, who've guessed it?

Paris?

Bound to be in there somewhere!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ saatmarket

'Scientologists i met are nicest people on the planet!'

But *which* planet???

25. Mark

Re: Free Speech

However, since the need to remove material was via DMCA, enforced BY THE GOVERNMENT, that is, it has the force of government power behind it, the government ARE most definitely involved and so this IS a free speech issue.

Otherwise, would we be allowed to take Youtube et al to court for deleting our stuff? No. Because they have to do this because of the conditions of the DMCA and the government will enforce it.

26. Steve

Re: @ Sarah Bee

Shouldn't you be sipping "gin 'n' juice" somewhere?

Or finishing school?.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Saatmarket

You know someone who admits to being a Scientologist? Then you're probably a Scientologist. And it's not a religion, it's a con-trick, designed to make money for the organisation.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@saatmarket

Scientology isn't a religion, it's a cult. Scientologists might be nice people, but the cult itself is purely designed to make those at the top rich and to fleece little people out of their cash. The fact that the founder is on record as saying that starting a religion is the best get-rich quick scheme around helps for sure. It is interesting that the US is pretty much the only country on the planet that accepts it as a religion, most rational countries class it as a cult. Of course, the US classes certain countries (Germany for example) as being intolerant of religion because of the cult classification of scientology, but in this I would support Germany - it is clearly a cult.

Now just wait for the black helicopters to get me.

29. Ign R. Amis
    Alien

@saatmarket

Assuming you're not a CO$ shill, while it may be true that you have met nice Scientologists, the organization as a whole is clearly a dangerous cult that uses hypnotic techniques to control its followers. I suggest you check yourself before you wreck yourself, amigo.

Hail Xenu!

30. Mark

Re: respect other religous beliefs

Why when CoS show NO respect whatsoever to anyone else.

They aren't even a religion. At best they are a pyramid scam. At worst a cult (with all the negative connotations thereof).

Why? A short and very much incomplete list:

1) Pay to play. You're stuck at level 1 unless you pay

2) Indoctrination. You're kept from anyone who may persuade you you're not doing the right thing

3) Rabid Attack Lawyers. This is a case in point. The lawyers probably required the immediate takedown of the *account*, which isn't part of DMCA

4) Rabid snoopers. They make Maureen O Gara look like Mother Theresa when they send their shithounds out to destroy socially those who left (or have laughed at them). Even down to physical assault

5) Playing to the crowd. They fake attacks on their property or slander on their people (and then disappear when evidence showing it was faked) so that they can tell the media that anyone talking them down is a nasty piece of work

31. Richard Cross
    Unhappy

@ saatmarket

Well that would be the main point of argument wouldn't it? ("follow human rights and respect people").

I'm all for religious tolerance and blossoming spirituality that go along with those high ideals you pointed out. I just can't reconcile that with the persistent strong-armed aggression of "The Church" of Scientology. If I thought long and hard about their organisational profile and methods, I'd say they had more in common with organised crime than with a church.

They rely on everyone else's ignorance about what they do and fear of standing up to them. All bullys like you to fear them, which is why I am am NOT posting anonymously. I'm reminded of the saying that "Evil prospers when good [wo]men do nothing".

32. tim
    Coat

Put it on Flickr

then you can annoy a whole load of other people too

33. Jason Harvey
    Alert

Scientology

nicest people? They say ignorance is bliss... and considering most people can't afford to pay their way in deep enough to know ANYTHING... I'd say they're ignorant and thus blissfully unaware of how they're being duped... so yeah... they're probably real nice. wait until the truth comes to light about the pyramid scheme ala religion and they'll be not so nice people cause they'll all be pissed about being duped out of money. Probably be pissed at the pub too.

as for asshat?... been used in junior high playgrounds for decades at least.

*goes off to set up another mirror of the interview*

34. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Scientologists...

Surely if the beliefs of Scientology could stand up to scrutiny they should not really have any problems if people did investigate them. It is because they don't that they want to silence everyo.....

<Silence as this anonymous coward gets dragged away from his keyboard and threatened with a good auditing...>

35. preethi
    Coat

It's High Time

The REG (Al Reg) started putting up Scientology busting and Paris ****ing Videos.

ALL vote for AL REG

Mine with the devil pasted on the back.

36. Frank Bough
    Stop

It's not a religion it's a con-trick?

Best oxymoron I've seen all day.

37. PM
    Paris Hilton

Copyright takedown

There are legal reasons for using copyrighted material.

Namely:

1. Mocking

2. Quoting

Which the authors clips likely fall under. If you let fair use slip by...you wont be getting it back. The author should reply with his own notice. Both to Viacom and Youtube

Paris, cuz even she's not stooopid enough to give her bread to Sciento.

38. Spleen

On the nicety of Scientology

There is a huge difference between being polite and being nice. Scientologists are, it is true, generally polite - so are Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and most evangelicals. But nice they are not, something you'd quickly find out if you tried to expose the nastier aspects of their religion. Their "niceness" takes the form of a rote-learnt sales pitch delivered with a glassy-eyed lack of doubt.

The fact is that non-Scientologists rarely meet Scientologists at anything other than the very early stages of their indoctrination. With the few I have met it was difficult to look them in the eye and not think "the lights are on but no-one's home".

39. StopthePropaganda
    Stop

I'll worry about "respecting" scientology on youtube

when youtube starts taking down inflammatory or derisive content about catholics, jews, or any other christianity-based religion.

Instead, it promotes these videos while removing anything -even if it's completely factual-that might offend followers of Mohammed or Hubbard.

Censorship, pure and simple. With the added evil of propaganda. Remove all content that ridicules or harasses all religious beliefs, or remove none of it. Anything else is media manipulation.

40. yeah, right.

censorship

Seems to me that censorship is alive and well in the USA. With DMCA takedown notices being so easy to make, and there being no real appeals process, and providers falling over themselves to be first to comply with any and all DMCA notices, it seems to be used as just another scare tactic to get material taken down. It also completely ignores supposed "fair use" sections of copyright law, as well as "innocent until proven guilty", as well as "due process".

Perhaps it's time for services outside the USA to fill that gap? Or are there any countries left that haven't fallen victim to the US lobbying for insane copyright laws?

41. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Scientology Books For Free

Rather than pay to become a Level 10 Intergalactic Thetan ... or whatever it is ... just download the Scientology 'bible' from WikiLeaks.

It is mainly complete and utter gibberish but was quite interesting seeing what suckers are paying thousands of dollars for.

Download now while the CoS lawyers are still preparing the goat.

"It's a blast"

(Posting anon because I don't want any wackos torching my house)

42. pastamasta
    Coat

The Darwinian approach

Surely, Scientology is one of the finest methods ever dreamed up by man (or indeed ancient spacefaring alien) of fleecing the terminally gullible of large amounts of cash, thus contributing subtly to their decline and therefore the gradual improvement of homo sapiens as a species? As such, we should welcome its effect on the likes of Messieurs Cruise, Travolta et al, who would doubtless otherwise squander their millions on wooing impressionable young ladies and procreating like a bunny with a really big basket of carrots in a field full of impressionable young lady bunnies.

Mine's the one with the tinfoil-lined hood and the army surplus label.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Religion is BAD

No matter witch religion you beveilve in. If it censore its critics, it has something to hide and should be banned. Look arround you. Religion is reponSible for the majority of pain and suffering of human kind. Religion Censor, Religion go to wars, religion kill innocent, religion enslave, Religon is BAD.

Imagine a world without religion, imagne the peace......

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey I'm nice too...

...C'mon, I made all this kool-aid for everybody and everything...

/gets no wub.

Screw you Scientology. That is all.

45. Bob

@ Zohar Lee

Youtube is not public property so they can censor whatever they want to on their site.

46. CSQuake

Scientology has infiltrated YouTube

YouTube is Scientology!!

Mark Bunker needs to post that 3 hour interview on PirateBay ...

47. heystoopid
    Alien

Or how some prefer

Or how some like Saatmarket with coloured beliefs prefer to very conveniently overlook and put their heads in the sand the many big and continuing very questionable and some rather illegal doings this CO$ organisation has been up to from the first day of foundation , by a failed penny dreadful SF writer at the instigation another that fateful day in 1948 or so we have been told and his continuation man's abuse of the laws against those who expose the truth of that he prefers the world not to see beyond that which is acceptable in any normal society !

Perhaps some people would see more clearly now , if they removed those rose coloured blinkers and come back to live in the real world instead of the fantasy one leaching off society for the fast tax free buck ?

One can only live in hope ?

48. system

RE: Re: Free Speech (by Mark)

"However, since the need to remove material was via DMCA, enforced BY THE GOVERNMENT, that is, it has the force of government power behind it, the government ARE most definitely involved and so this IS a free speech issue."

No it isn't, unless free speech allows you to use copyright material without permission. The DMCA takedown was for copyrighted material, subsequent takedowns of none-copyrighted videos were at youtubes discretion and not covered by the DMCA request.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Believe

I don't see why people have such a big problem with the CoS, at least their "beliefs" have a higher probability of being true compared to some other religions like Christianity and its numerous spinoff's.

50. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Scientology IS just another religion - that's the problem

All you guys slagging Co$ for being a Ponzie scheme or a cult are off the mark. Of course Co$ is a Ponzie scheme. That's an inherent feature of any religion. The purpose of any religion is to divert wealth from those that produce it and power from those that have it. All the lies about Shamash, Osiris, Baal, Zeus, Jupiter, Xenu or various versions of the InvisibleSkyDaddy are meant to distract one from feeling the strange hand on your wallet.

The Co$ is just another religion. Those screwy Co$ texts are no more silly than any other religious text. The litigious and harassing aspects of Scientology are just the modern versions of fatwas, the Inquisition, and witch hunts.

51. Shabble

Fight for your right....

The everyday freedoms that we in the West currently enjoy were hard won, often bloodily, and generally against the wishes of the politicians and lawmakers in charge at the time. So it will be with the internet. If we want a guaranteed right to privacy and a guaranteed right to freedom of speech on the internet, then we are going to have to fight for them.

The first stage of the fight is to go through the normal channels. There actually are politicians out there who care about the people they represent - if you live in a country that deals with YouTube (eg, in the UK the BBC has done a deal with YouTube) then you should write to your local MP saying something along the lines of 'how can we justify handing over British tax-payer's money to a media organisation that censors so readily'. If enough people make a fuss, the more independent and less toadying members of the political classes will start to rock the boat.

52. Graham Lockley
    Coat

@AC

>Imagine a world without religion, imagne the peace......

No way ! If there was no religion then all the bun fights between Intel/AMD fans, the Windoze/Linux sniping etc. would all become more important ! Face it, no matter how hard we try we just love to argue and bitch :)

Mind you, certain peoples devotion to the Church of Jobs would mean that the CoS would have an instant replacement :D

Mines the one with the asbestos lining and the buttons made from Trolls teeth

53. Alexander
    Paris Hilton

scientology is not a cult

scientology is not a cult ...to right it is not a cult becasue cult's have set ideals they follow, scientoloy just gets made up as it goes along just like it's hefty bank balance but the crux of what it is is based on who founded it and that man L .Ron was a nutcase 150% , so what he wrote books! but the man spent his life biting bricks he was totally out to lunch at all times the only thing he was "CLEAR" of was sanitiy.

But the whole sickener about this band of halfwitted gullable fool's is the crap the say about the holocaust... and here is me thinking holocaust denails or preaching falsehoods about the holocaust are a crime! cant be thought since the cheif inspector of the met opened the london branch of the CoS ( church of saps).

Paris: because even she wouldn't swallow that

54. Ole Juul

YouTube needs parental guidance

I honestly can't see Scientology as being any kind of an issue. People will always claim to know something others don't in order to be one up. The fact that they're a pyramid scheme just makes them even less interesting. Bunker's story is worth looking at, but not because of Scientology.

The story here is really about YouTube. Time and again they show themselves as being immature and spineless. Pathetic, really. They could use a little help from someone who has been around the block and who has developed some real principles ... an adult perhaps.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Mark Bunker is a hero

Thanks for covering this El Reg ;)

Mark Bunker was standing up to these guys before it was "safer" to do so as it seems these days. Anyone who doesn't know the darkside of this "church" may not think that is a big deal. He's suffered a lot for it though but kept at it. I respect this man greatly and I was shocked and saddened when YouTube took his stuff down.

Welcome to the new age of Xenu.

56. Andy Worth

Are you sure they are spineless?

Perhaps someone within the upper-hierarchy of Youtube actually belongs to the cult, which would explain why they are so willing to remove users who post videos with non-copyrighted material about it. Every time I hear about Scientology it reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons where they get brainwashed into a cult. I don't know why, but it probably explains why I can't take it seriously.

I love the way people will defend it so completely, as if it is something they have believed all of their life, rather than something made up by a con-man in order to extort money from people. Still, fair play to "the creator", he managed to find yet another gap in the market for the extortion of stupid people.

57. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YouTube .... immature and spineless.

I think you should get them in perspective, it's not a political activism site. It's a site for teenagers to stick their "mobe vids" online.

This is like complaining about the political content of the beano.

It's good to see that he's found alternate video hosting though.

Anyone contemplating involvement in scientology should take a look round his site first www.xenutv.com. They're a weird bunch.

>Perhaps someone within the upper-hierarchy...

ooooh they're everywhere they're all powerful, QUICK! To the tinfoil hats!

58. Mark

Re: RE: Re: Free Speec (by system)

Copyright controls only those actions copyright is concerned with. So you have the right to make a copy for critique, parody, teaching and so forth. Just because what you're saying is copyrighted (this message here is copyrighted...) even if by someone else doesn't mean it isn't speech and must be sileced to the "God Of IP".

Basically, you're wrong.

59. Mark

@Bob

So you maintain that Youtube can post 4-yo sex videos? Post pictures of your wife?

You DID say they could do whatever they wanted on their site.

And you're so very obviously wrong.

60. Tim Roberts
    Coat

Spare web address

I have a spare (free) web address that I'm willing to donate to the anti-scientology crew. Free as in beer.

61. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Saatmarket Re: nice Scientologists

I once met a couple of ex-members of the old South African apartheid government's Security Police (secret police) socially. They too were really nice individuals and the salt of the earth. That doesn't escape the fact that as an organization the Security Police were a bunch of vicious scary murderous bastards. In other words, you can't judge the organization by the individual.

62. alphaxion

youtube and CoS

I babbled on about scientology after encountering them here in Leeds..

http://www.alphaxion.com/news.php?readmore=94

63. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Scientology Is False Religion

The only true religion is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (may you be blessed by his noodly appendage), as any fule know!

(The Black Helicopter is as close as I could get to the FSM)

64. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tolerance

I'm all for patience, but I'm not very tolerant.

I am intolerant of organisations that are con jobs just as I am intolerant of people that are con men.

If someone poses as a gas worker come to check your meter and instead nicks your purse, I see no point in being tolerant.

I think many people confuse being tolerant with being understanding or patient.

65. JohnG
    Happy

I like rutube.ru

They aren't likely to care about any take down notices from anyone outside the Kremlin. You can usually find anything that was taken off of Youtube and the like.

66. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

every time...

...you people speak 'bout the holy C./P.o.S, I find myself inundated with dear memories of mashing the Cult of Sirius in X-COM.

Say, could this be a reason for the demise of the real X-COM series?

Alien, 'cause I miss the flying lemons.

67. StopthePropaganda
    Stop

@ JonB

it's a "political activism site" as soon as Al Gore and the DNC start putting policy change and candidate videos up on it. Which has already been done.

Political forces deliberately create youtube commercials to advertise their policies and people. At that point it is a media channel and a "political activism site".

This would be akin to youtube deciding to remove any and all pro-Obama video or pro-Clinton video depending on their upper executives choosing to enforce their personal bias. Youtube has gotten to where it is by claiming some sort of egalitarian ideals and needs to be exposed, just as Wikipedia has been.

So unless youtube eliminates *everything* but jackass style mobile phone shots and underage girl's bedroom webcam vids, then it becomes de facto an advertising venue, a political outlet, and bears a responsibility the same as any samizdat publication or university printed socialist rag or Old Press weekend newspaper.

68. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Do some research next time

"Thanks to some heavy publicity from an internet protest movement known as Anonymous - which sprung up after YouTube erased the Cruise clip from its entire site"

Nope, not even slightly. Anonymous has been around for quite a while and it is not "an internet protest movement". If you check its Wiki article you'll find out its an internet hate machine, a collection of hackers on steroids, and just a term for people who hang out on places like 4chan.org to say mean things about people (and then get misreported on Fox News).

Yeah, a lot of Anonymous are involved in Project Chanology but that doesn't mean that all of Anonymous is.

69. Highlander
    Black Helicopters

Someone says scientologists are nice?? So is the viollage idiot.

Scientology is the biggest load of crap I've ever encountered disguising itself as a 'religion'.

I call BS on the whole group. L Ron Hubbard was a crap author who wrote mildly entertaining (to some, I found them boring as hell) science fiction stories. He once made a statement to the effect that if a man wanted to be rich, he should start his own religion.

Strangely enough, he later did start his own religion, and then backed it up with pseudo-psycho-babble and B-grade pulp science fiction. Utter BS. Oh but we're supposed to be tolerant of others beliefs? Screw that you morons. What, as we supposed to respect the beliefs of Star Wars fans trying to start a Jedi academy? Or should we laugh at their fanboy folly? How about Trek fans who believe that one day man will live in a utopian future without need for money? Or better still the ones speaking Klingon. You know that a university in California actually ran a Klingon language course, right? No suprise then that California also provided the tolerant and fertile ground that has allow Hubbard's weak minded followers to prosper with their scam.

Why do we tolerate this crap? Why do we apologize for calling it crap? Why are we stupid enough to give these idiots respect by calling them a religion in the first bloody place? Scientology is little more than a group of L Ron Hubbard fanboys who get together on a regular basis to sell trinkets and over priced literature and devices that are as effective as Star Trek props for $$$$. Holy crap, if you've ever been to the big Star Trek or Star Wars conventions you know what I mean. There you'll find 1000s of people willing to use their vacation time to be there and spend hard earned dollars on fiction. Guest appearances take on the air of evangelical meetings. You can buy any amount of literature and garb from the various resellers, not to forget the promotional video materials and any number of prop reproductions, some even with powered internals. Hell, you can buy communicators that are really cell phones and tricorders and phasers with lights and sound effects.

How does any of that differ from the BS that $cientology does? It's all based on science fiction, it's followers (fanboys) give up their time and hard earned dollars to be at meetings. Guest speakers are no doubt treated to enthusiastic welcomes and rapt attention. People pay $1000s for the literature and video material and then even the mystical e-meters, which frankly have nothing to differentiate from a Star Trek tricorder with a set of lights and sound effects.

Yet we give $cientology respect and call it faith? How is it any different to rabid Star Trek fans or Star Wars fans? How? I challenge anyone to show a meaningful or valid difference between slightly unhinged Trek or SW fans, and $cientologists - well apart from the propensity of $scientologists to sue people.

I don't care if someone wants to tell me I'm intolerant, I'm not, but I don't see how or why this group of scam artists and fools is given the status and respect of a religion when it's nothing of the sort. Some claim that it's no different to Christianity. I think you're wrong. Unless you want to compare it to the Catholic church of several hundred years ago that was run for the benefit of the priests and which used tools or persecution to keep opposers silent - typically by declaring them heretics and having them killed. Scientology attempts to do the same thing today only their tools of choice are the courts and laws never intended to protect an organization such as the Fans of Hubbard.

You Tube is obviously full of it, if the guy posted no copyright material on the account they most recently removed, then they have no reason or excuse for removing it. All they're doing is participating in suppressing him and his views. I guess that means that both You Tube and by implication Google are within the grasp to some extent at least of $cientology. Timfoil hats on ladies and gentlemen. Can you imagine if several key figures in Google became $cientologist? Would you really trust that Google would remain as squeaky clean as it claims? Perhaps it's already happening? I don't know, but I do know that You Tube is acting in the best interests of the Fans of Hubbard. Interesting.

70. Steve Bush
    Stop

COS=Darwininan Predator=Good

a very shrewd comment was made about COS strengthening human gene pool by feeding on and presumably eliminating our weaker members. however it must increase the welfare of the leaders of the group and left unrestricted could slowly replace existing social norms.

71. Alex McKenna

"it's not a religion, it's a con-trick"

What IS a religion, if not a con-trick?

Made by goat-herds FOR goat-herds, but we really shouldn't take them too seriously now. Old ladies, the simple minded and small children excepted of course.

72. Ign R. Amis
    Alien

Scientology is *not* like other religions

@anonymous coward:

"at least their 'beliefs' have a higher probability of being true compared to some other religions"

Um, what? I mean, yeah, I don't view the Bible as being true any more than I view the Qu'ran as being true, but to say that Scientology has a "higher probability" of being true is, frankly, insane. The notion that an evil galactic overlord buried millions of enemies in volcanoes and destroyed them with H-bombs, and their wandering souls attach to us, is as likely to be true as the legend of Queztlcoatl. All religious myths are equally ludicrous.

@anonymous coward:

"Of course Co$ is a Ponzie scheme. That's an inherent feature of any religion."

Not quite. You can get a free Bible anywhere. You can attend religious services for any of the actual religions free-of-charge. This is absolutely not the case with Scientology. Scientology has a fee structure, such that the minimum cost to complete the Bridge is in the neighborhood of $300,000, assuming you make it through each course on your first attempt. No other religion does this kind of thing.

Scientology makes it a practice to harass their critics, via litigation and intimidation. They sue people who speak ill of their belief system. No other religion does this, either.

I'm an atheist, and think all religion is bunk, however Scientology goes beyond mere bunkum, crossing the line into outright criminality. Google Lesa McPherson, and read about the numerous people who've lost the lives due to the "Church" of Scientology's actions.

73. amanfromMars Silver badge

Mad dogs ........and dumb cowboys do not Presidential material make.

"however Scientology goes beyond mere bunkum, crossing the line into outright criminality. Google Lesa McPherson, and read about the numerous people who've lost the lives due to the "Church" of Scientology's actions.".... By Ign R. Amis

Posted Saturday 26th April 2008 02:36 GMT

Here's a list of lost lives caused by actions on the spoutings of another criminal who has crossed the line In God we Trust bunkum, Ign R. Amis .... http://icasualties.org/oif/ .... but hey, he is voted for [or wangles the vote for there is some real doubt in the last pantomime of an election] and he is afforded protection as a President too, while he destroys everything America seeks to do for the Good of Man. Who's the bigger idiot and where do all the biggest idiots live?

Sue me if you like but the Truth will defeat you. IT never loses for it always wins the popular vote.

Or are we to be told that that is different?

Yeah, right ..... pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

74. FrankR

respect for religion?

People have a right to respect.

Religions dont. They have to earn it.

75. Ign R. Amis
    Alien

The list is long

@amanfromMars:

You'll get no argument from me that the Bush administration isn't a criminal enterprise. I think Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Rice should all be behind bars. If I were to start prioritizing action items in order of importance to humanity at large, taking down Scientology would be somewhat low on the list. So, too, would be the malfeasance of the Bush administration. Impending water and food shortages are at the top, followed by mitigating the effects of the changing climate, and finding workable, non-polluting alternatives to fossil fuels. Regardless, there's no reason whatsoever that this criminal cult should be permitted to keep operating.

76. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

My two cents of euro

"Scientologists i met are nicest people on the planet!"

Until you criticise them. Then they reveal their true personality and "faith" like in vampires' movie.

"I recommend to follow human rights and respecting others beliefs."

Only if they respect the rest. It's stupid and sucidal to respect who doesn't show any respect. Sects can be as dangerous as anything else, if not more.

77. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Well said, Ign R. Amis

"@amanfromMars:

You'll get no argument from me that the Bush administration isn't a criminal enterprise. I think Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Rice should all be behind bars. If I were to start prioritizing action items in order of importance to humanity at large, taking down Scientology would be somewhat low on the list. So, too, would be the malfeasance of the Bush administration. Impending water and food shortages are at the top, followed by mitigating the effects of the changing climate, and finding workable, non-polluting alternatives to fossil fuels. Regardless, there's no reason whatsoever that this criminal cult should be permitted to keep operating." ... By Ign R. Amis Posted Saturday 26th April 2008 15:33 GMT

Some would posit that 42 Fix the Criminalisation of the US Constitution by its Administrative Executives [and there would be any number of them engaged in that Perverse and Subversive Conspiracy to be Top Gun/Dog] would surely cure all Ills, Ign R. Amis.

As you have rightly said, it is all a matter of Prioritizing and dealing with the nastiest little bugs first, and starting Top Down allows for the Poison Flow/Supply to be stopped and Full Body Recovery to Begin Immediately.

MeThinks also there's no reason whatsoever that this criminal cult should be permitted to keep operating...... for it is costing a Nation its Dignity, Wealth and Reputation and Driving it into a Deep and Damaging Depression and Recession.

Where are the Patriots whenever Madness roams the Plains and White Housed Lawns and Dogged Rose Gardens?

78. pctechxp

@stopthepropoganda

Hubbard followers are rich and have attach dog lawyers and the others have bombs and a proportion are nuts which is why there is some much bias toward them.

79. Moss Icely Spaceport

@ Highlander

Well said, that man! The leaders of the Co$ are just plain, pure, evil. It's followers are like junkies, strung out looking ofr their next fix. Sad.

80. gz

@Help me Stephen Colbert

Zohar Lee said:

Given that youtube is owned by google and is based out of america,

So if it's out of America, which country is Google based in then? I'm pretty sure it's just up the road from me in Mt View, CA but I could be wrong.

81. Lu

Scientology with a new breed of flashplayer on Youtube!

This morning Scientology took over youtube.... check this:

youtube.com/churchofscientology

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like