back to article Motorola unplugs Cambridge TTPCom unit

Less than 2 years after paying more than £100 million for Cambridge-based TTPCom Motorola is shutting down the offices and consulting with employees about their futures, the company confirmed in a statement. Half the staff were laid off in January, so the rest will hardly have had time to catch their breath before receiving …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam Williamson
    Thumb Down

Which?

It would really help when writing stories like this to specify whether you mean Cambridge, England or Cambridge, Mass. It's not at all obvious from the story, nor can you reliably guess - both cities are heavily involved in the technology industry.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Poor old ROI

No real surprise there, even the upper echelons at Moto thought it would make a "very poor Return on Investment". Once the Moto management had played musical chairs it was hard to see who would defend TTPCom in Libertyville. Now Moto are stuck with P2K - and they deserve all they get there! There are some very good people there in Melbourn - hopefully some spin-off or other will see them rise from the ashes.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Adam

> specify whether you mean Cambridge, England or Cambridge, Mass

The original, but specifying the country is the way to go. If you specify a town / city, then please add the country rather than just the state. We know it's the US, but other countries do exist and have done so for a tad longer ..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Adam @Anonymous Coward

1. Funnily enough there is a TTP in both, though TTP Com is only in the UK.

2. As anyone who has had to deal with TTPCom code, support, working style and methods, quality assurance and management decisions can testify there is nothing unexpected here. You tell your customers to f*** off one time too many and you get whatever Christmas you deserve.

Me Coat, the one with the TTPCom insignia on the back

5. Paul Norton
    Stop

Dei Gratia Regina Fidei defensor

Our Cambridge was here first, hence there's no need to specify.

And learn to speak and write English properly. Bloody revolting Yanks.

Cup o'tea?

6. caffeine addict

@adam

TTP are/were based in Cambridge, England. Well, Melbourn, which is virtually Hertfordshire.

TTP was pretty big - is this the entire thing or was TTPCom a small spin out?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh the irony.

It's a .co.uk site. Cambridge is Cambridge. What the hell is "Cambridge, Mass" meant to mean to non left-pondians?

8. Paul Bullough

TTPCom.com.co.uk.com

Caffeine addict,

This isn't TTP, just TTPCom which spun-off from of TTP many moons ago.

As far as I know, TTP is still there in Melbourn and doing ok.

9. Fatty Treats
    Stop

I must protest

I find the bandying around of this word intensely distasteful.

Are you not all aware that the C-word is the most offensive in the England language, and it offends ladies deeply?

Disgusting.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Anon

Which customer got told to f*** off then?

If you've got a coat with the TTPCom insignia on the back you must have worked there a good few years ago - Xmas 2001 I think.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Phew-wee

When I was at TTPCom, diligently designing their future software products, they had a company mantra that ended something like "as long as it's still fun".

This happy little phrase must have had a hard time surviving in the face of a fistful of dollars (there you go, that's confused the geography again).

Anyway, I didn't tell you so, and I'm glad I didn't. It was a swell place to work, full of top-notch engineers who I hope will find more loving homes soon.

As for me, I failed to be recognised as someone worthy of a whole coat, but I do regularly parade around my 12th Century cobbled market place wearing my hard-earned and much treasured Danish blue TTPCom t-shirt from the Aalborg days, where we taught them a thing or two, eh lads?

12. Ex-Com

@Expanding Contractor

It was indeed a lot less fun after the buy out. The key problem was that not enough (if any) of the Motorola management had beards - not even small ones. It would have gone tits up about a month later if Motorola hadn't bought the company though.

Many of those top-notch engineers (blushes) have found loving homes already - half of those that hadn't already left got laid off in February (not January as the article said). I hope the local job market can stand another batch of people in three months time.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Thoughts from our 12th Century cobbled market place

Snippets from the Original Press release less than 2 years ago from Motorola:

"Motorola Acquiring World-Class Software Platform (AJAR) ..."

"TTPCom is a leader in wireless software platforms, protocol stacks and semiconductor solutions and is a highly complementary addition to Motorola's technology portfolio," said Ron Garriques, President, Motorola's Mobile Devices business. "We welcome the employees of TTPCom to Motorola and look forward to a quick and seamless integration upon closing.”

Wonder what closing he was talking about :-(

Still have my Dancall Telecom Mug, my Bosch Telecom Sportsbag, my Siemens Mobile Phones Rain Jackets, my TTPCom poloshirts from Spore, Shanghai and Denmark, my Motorola Champions League Jacket. All sweet memories of companies long gone, collected over only 12 years.

Telecom is Tough Business ... but a hell of a ride I wouldn’t have missed!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ Ex-Com

I spose the writing was on the wall when Rob shaved his beard off after many years.

[Paris 'cos she also shaves hers - allegedly ;^) ]

15. Ex-Com

Rob's beard

Surely the writing was at least on the wall (if not yet entirely dry) at that point?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

AJAR no more?

Is this Moto finally stopping spreading it around and reducing the number of mobile platforms they support?

Paris, as she has been known to spread it around

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like