back to article Tech City UK boss legs it, dumps project in lap of BlackBerry exec

Joanna Shields has jacked in her £115,000 job as CEO of Tech City UK to join the London Stock Exchange Group. She will be replaced by Gerard Grech, who currently heads up global marketing at BlackBerry World. Shields was awarded an OBE last year for trying to turn Old Street Roundabout into a gleaming hub of tech …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aiming high

"She will be replaced by Gerard Grech, who currently heads up global marketing at BlackBerry World."

So the deciding criteria is "prior fat cat position" rather than "can do, dynamic, straight talking, hard working type with history of success"? (1)

Why can't I secure fat cat six-figure-for-doing- jack-shit gigs? I could (if so minded) focus on the failures of my previous employers - admittedly never as epic as Bungleberry. I'd be willing to toe whatever political line of dogshit that was required, to free-lunch, to attend meetings with DCMS (and to attend them with a whole host of disempowered lackeys, as the snivel service seem to require).

Who appoints numpties to these sinecures? I am available! My principles and beliefs can be hired or put aside as the appointment demands. I promise I shall not associate myself with actually doing anything, and I shall forbid the lackeys from doing anything other than massaging statistics to prove success. Hire me!

(1) No, that's not me either. I'm just railing against the injustice that he's sucking on the taxpayer funded teat, and I'm not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Aiming high

I think these people get their jobs due to the people they know. You don't need to know how to do anything if you can get people to do things for you.

Jimmy Saville was the perfect example of someone who had a lot of connections and was able to use them to his advantage. What was he in reality? a DJ, TV presenter and pervert. Hardly someone you would expect to be powerful.

1. John Styles

Sounds like a joke... a DJ, a TV personality and a pervert walked into a bar

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
          Pint

. . . and he ordered a beer.

2. Jock in a Frock
    Coat

A Roman walks into a bar...

... holds up two fingers, and says "five pints please, barman"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you guys shouldn't talk about tech city until you've seen it in action

I have, and it's disgusting.

Every morning the most useless web developers in London gather around the Old St roundabout, pull their pants down, grab the junk of the person to the right and have one big circle jerk while telling each other how they're better than the real tech areas around Oxford and Cambridge.

There's other IT kling-ons there too; qango executives, project managers, analysts and token google and facebook staff, but not even the web developers will touch theirs.

This topic is closed for new posts.