back to article Canadian man in Taser trouser inferno shocker

Taser-wielding Canadian police inadvertently caused a horrific underpant conflagration at the weekend, according to reports. In the course of subduing a non-compliant Ontario citizen, the officers - as is nowadays routine practice - fired a miniaturised flying cattleprod module into his body and passed a high voltage current …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cigarette lighter?

Scary.

2. cor
    Coat

Tazippo?

I'm gone already.

3. Solomon Grundy

Special Unit

"special state police unit which handles cases of this type."

What type of case? Taser abuse or pansy police?

4. GrahamT
    Coat

Everyone will soon forget this...

it's just a flash in the pants.

5. Big Al
    Alert

Here we go again?

"The incident is now being investigated by a special state police unit which handles cases of this type."

You mean, cases of this type have happened before? I think we should be told!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

You soppy liberals don't understand

These brave boy's are out there risking your life to save their arse.....

7. cookieMonster Silver badge
    Coat

Back in fashion

HOT Pants !!!

Mines the one that looks like a fire blanket.

8. Jamie
    Paris Hilton

It could work

Take even the most hardened criminal and light his gibbly-bits on fire and he will beg for mercy to help douse the flames.

Paris cause she could douse the flames in my pants anyday.

9. Silas
    Coat

If his pants are on fire

Then he must be some kind of liar, liar.

Coat? Not for me thanks, I'm from Newcastle.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Put fire out

Normally the way to put a fire out that you see on the ground is to stamp on it.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Extreme Flatulence?

Perhaps bought-on by being tazered?

Mines the gas-tight one-piece...

JDM

12. ImaGnuber

State Police?

Sorry but that would be Provincial police or possibly RCMP depending on the problem and circumstances. 'State' police are south of the border.

@Anonymous Coward & "These brave boy's are out there risking your life to save their arse....."

Sigh.

Of course if you were just making fun of the drooling idiots who characterise the police thus then bravo!

13. Ash
    Joke

A use for...

... tin foil underpants?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Wait a minute...

...risking my life to save their arses? Hmm?

Anyway, <3 <3 <3 to Lewis for the writing in that article. His utter glee at the opportunity to have a poke at this story was palpable.

15. Sam

quick-thinking plods managed to stifle or otherwise extinguish his blazing smalls

Don't tell me, they stamped it out.

16. b166er

During the interaction, an officer discharged his Taser

Fnnarrr

Good work Mr Page

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Taze Fried the Stash?

If the taze fires your stash, are you still holding? Or do you get off that charge? Isn't against policy to ignite the stash before it has been entered into the evidence locker?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

>tin foil underpants?

Actually..... Wouldn't a metallised suit block a taser?

*starts gluing old Kit Kat wrappers to jacket*

19. yeah, right.

Not the USA

Actually, that would be "special provincial police unit", not "special state police unit". Which is more accurate in many ways, them being so provincial and all.

20. DAN*tastik
    Paris Hilton

I wanted to save this for an exploding laptop batter or something. Nevermind

Paris - that's hot

21. Anonymous John
    Flame

@ Everyone will soon forget this...

"it's just a flash in the pants."

Damn! I wanted to say that.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Too many baked beans...

...leads to Tazing Saddles (cough)

Mines the one with 57 Varieties on it.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TASER

I keep wondering, do the police change the prods on their TASER gun after use? I was watching a film of someone being shot by one and wondered about the possibilities of cross contamination from the previous person shot if they penetrate the skin.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Excuse me...

...but I've got to go discharge the ol' tazer...

25. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Happy

Poor he Poor he

He got tazered in the lavatory. Someone came and Yanked his chain. And burned his fizzing out remains.

Oi, where's the IT buttaaargh.. no.. donyyyyyzzznngfh

26. StopthePropaganda
    Thumb Up

Shouldn't have had the large burrito before committing crimes

Did the perp yell out "Hey, watch this!" before going for a blue flamer?

yah, shoulda just billy clubbed his @ss. Or as the liberals want, let the guy go because he's only a criminal because of social/political/economic policies...and libs know all about those crippling policies because *they* created them.

Ethanol food shortages, anyone? Who's been pushing for that since the 70's? Not "oil baron" conservatives...but I don't expect any liberals to ever take the responsibility (another non PC concept these days) of their own actions. Especially when there's record of how many so-called "backwards" conservatives warned them explicitly that this sort of situation was *certain* to occur.

27. David
    Stop

"Mine's the one"

I wonder if El Reg could set up comments to automatically turn any sentence starting with "Mine's the one..." into "I'm an arsehole who thinks I'm funny", and any sentence starting "Paris because..." into "I need to get laid" and then printing their full name and address and a request to be shot?

And just to make a point:

mine's the one that paris hilton is wearing!!1!

N.B. I am quite capable of being an arsehole, I am capable of being funny (I don't intend to be on this occasion), and I do in fact need to get laid, but I manage to hold myself back from the most irritating two phrases in existence.

28. Mark Roome
    Flame

Thats hot ...

<---- and thats not!

Where is the 2 icon selection Mr Orlowski has cheekily used before huh?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

www.Excited-Delirium.com

Burning trousers aside, there's a lot of interesting taser information available on the blog at www.Excited-Delirium.com.

By the way, their stock (TASR) tanked about -20% today.

30. Jason Nimz
    Pirate

Dont Taze me BRO!

>poof<

31. Pierre

StopthePropaganda

Why is it that I see you as a 87-yo Texan talking to his dog about all these bloody Latino-Canucko-terrorist-gay commie liberals that should be hung high and short, like we used to do in the good ol'days?

32. Captain DaFt
    Happy

And this kiddies...

Is why you should shell out extra for a sturdy hip flask! Cheap PVC and thin aluminium ones just don't cut it under fire! Use a sturdy stainless steel Flask!

(Takes quick nip while keeping an eye out for Cop-rogers of the 21st century)

33. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Learn to spell

There is no such thing as an "underpant" - the only possible exception being someone who pants under his or her breath!

You don't buy one scissor, one trouser, or one pant. These things come in pairs by definition. And underWEAR is never sold for just one leg.

34. Pierre
    Coat

Mine's the one...

... wich reads "don't taze me, David" on the back.

Paris because she can appreciate a good discharge

Mine is the one... forget it, I'm too hot already. Because of Paris, y'know.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

while in Canada...

The transit police can taser passengers for "non compliance":

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=19396e97-ffe1-4e3b-be72-128d2c136203

Mine is the one with the conductive metal lining...

36. Ishkandar

@David

Looks like that's not the only thing you are holding back. Maybe a bit more fibre in your diet might help. Otherwise, ten pints of lager and a good vindaloo will certainly do the trick !!

Mine's the one that says "I'm retentive but I'm not anal about it !!"

37. Ben
    Flame

The Underpants Of Doom

, this little known but prolific splinter group within the PajHamas organisation , achieve their objectives by snagging the big toe as the victim stands on one leg in the process of dressing. This usually results in overbalance and serious fractured limbs/head injuries often result . The discovery and use of fire by the sect is predictable and represents an escalated level of threat .

Good to know that the police are alert , prepared , and most of all that members of the public are willing to " have a go " in order to thwart the evil of ...........etc

a google search reveals more..........

38. merv rodgers

fibber

Must have been averse to the truth

now how does that children's rhyme go "Liar Liar ..."

39. Michael Souris
    Thumb Down

@ "starts gluing old Kit Kat wrappers to jacket"

Don't bother, they're made of plastic, now.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TASER PANTS

This gives a whole new world of meaning to the caution to "keep your powder dry".

41. StillNoCouch
    Coat

Not Phunny

The last time this happened to me, I was in no mood for jokes.

(Yeah, the one with the burnt gerbile in the pocket)

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New unit of measure?

Either for "untoward incident" or "wardrobe malfunction" or simply "acute pain".

In the "wardrobe malfunction" category, 1 Ontario Tasing = many thousand Janet Jacksons, and about .1 Shirts of Nessus.

In the "untoward incident" category 1 Ontario Tasing =~ 1 milliNavarino

43. Tonto Popaduopolos

Goodness gracious

........................................... (You know the rest)

44. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

State What?

Last time I checked it would be a Provincial unit not a "state" unit.

USA = States (oh, and Puerto Rico and Iraq)

Canada = Provinces and Territories

France = Departments

Germany = Lander

Australia = States and Territories

New Zealand = Had a provincial era, sadly forgotten.

etc. etc.

Now isn't that Yankee Doodle Dandy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like