back to article Samsung Nexus S beats Galaxy S III – at detecting GAMMA RAYS

Late last year, an app called GammaPix garnered some media attention as a kind of low-cost geiger counter. Now, a US test lab has confirmed that yes, smartphone cameras can detect radiation. The idea is simple enough: the CMOS cameras should generate some kind of signal in the presence of radiation, so all you need is an app …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And infrared!

Point a remote control at your smartphone camera and check the viewfinder - you should be able to see the light!

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: And infrared!

I've long used that to test if batteries in a remote are working.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

So how long it will survive around a gamma source

So how long before Android coredumps next to a gamma source? The same thing you see on the sensor is also happening on your RAM and flash :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting

How hard would it be to put a scintillator strip INSIDE the housing, close enough so the sensor can see the reflected light but not so close that it interferes with the front camera?

Interesting idea, no?

4. Anonymous Coward 101

The circumstances in which this is a useful tool are in which there is no mains power to charge your phone.

5. Robin Bradshaw

Radiation is so last year :)

Thermal imaging is going to be all the rage for 2014, even if its only 80x60 pixels.

http://www.flir.com/flirone/

I cant wait for a phone with the Flir Lepton sensor builtin.

1. ridley

Re: Radiation is so last year :)

I am suspicious of the FLIRONE why are there no pictures/videos on the site that illustrate what to expect?

Every video or picture on the website comes with the caveat "Thermal images shown are for illustration purposes only, and may not have been taken by the camera series depicted."

2. annodomini2
      Mushroom

I was under the impression that a normal CCD can do thermal imaging, the problem is the lens?

1. Robin Bradshaw

No a normal CCD with the IR filter removed can film near infra red, like the IR diode in your TV remote control but wont record thermal IR.

And yes im suspicious of the lack of actual images on the website, you can see actual imaging on various youtube videos such as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICAzaZ1RTt0

But i do have a feeling there are some software shenanigans going on as the sensor is aparently 80x60 pixels, still quite impressive though.

6. ukgnome

I will find this very useful when I try to find the best radioactive source.

Soon my quest for super powers will be complete.

What's that? Samsung are the best detectors!!!!

Hard Pass on that one!

7. sandman
    Mushroom

Totally equipped

Excellent - now I've got a useful warning device to go with my tinfoil hat, lead-lined boxers and iodine tablets ;-)

8. Evoflash
    Coat

All too late

for Bruce Banner.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course Samsung phones are best for this. They have to be ready for anything given their neighbours to the North.

10. NP-HARD
    Thumb Up

That's all well and good but...

which mic is best at detecting whale-song?

11. Steven Roper

Another step towards...

the transformation of mobile phones into Star Trek tricorders.

Now all we need is a phased chroniton detector and we're finally there!

1. Bloakey1

Re: Another step towards...

I am waiting for the scratch and sniff screen.

Who needs super powers when there are other issues closer to home that need to be grasped and dealt with in no uncertain manner.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE. Re. Another step towards...

Could work, you'd need a small reservoir containing odours in the form of tiny heat activated capsules and something like a thermal inkjet printer head to activate them.

I can envision cosmetics companies promoting this to sell their products...

Re. touch screens, magnetorheological fluids can be made transparent now and then addressed using a very simple coil printed onto a PCB under the screen so your phone could have a proper keypad.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like