back to article Lenovo: It could be YEARS before a US smartphone launch

Chinese hardware giant Lenovo appears to be delaying its plans for a US smartphone launch, after executives at CES last week dampened previous claims from the firm that it would happen in 2014. CEO Yang Yuanqing told the Wall Street Journal back in May 2013 that he expected the company to launch a smartphone business Stateside …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So they're planning to wait until the market shares have solidified?

Planning to wait until there are no killer features left, just incremental updates? (too late - that's already happened) Planning to wait until the Lenovo name is even more associated with yesterday's technology in the minds of many people (i.e. associated with PCs)

Yeah, that seems like a good plan.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

So they're planning to wait until market shares have petrified?

Hi, DougS,

Building one smart mobile platform to rule all of them, is not something that can be rushed and left to fat chance and slim hope to supply. It is what intelligence machines can put into and onto the browser and internets that dictates what you believe to be true of tomorrow for presentation and virtual realisation, today.

And as is widely perceived, are the Chinese masters of the long game, blowing cooling and bitter sharp winds from East to West.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So they're planning to wait until the market shares have solidified?

"Yeah, that seems like a good plan."

But you've just said it, that the existing markets are commoditising fast, so it doesn't make sense to pile in and fight with HTC, Huawei, etc for the unprofitable scraps of the Android market (in which the real value is being made by Google).

There's waves of technology evolution, both hardware and software. In Lenovo's position I'd say they're very wise waiting to see what happens next. That might be wearable tech (and might not), it might be home and device integration, it might be the waning of Android and rise of a new phone OS with a different economic model, it might be a far more content-centric model that links content to users rather than devices. If I knew I'd be so rich I wouldn't be spending my time posting this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So they're planning to wait until the market shares have solidified?

Ledswinger,

Lenovo is a fairly trusted name in the enterprise world - all those companies that used to buy IBM Thinkpads now buy them from Lenovo. Coming out with me-too tablets and smartphones gives them a leg up on everyone but Samsung and Apple, because they have better name recognition and association with quality in people's minds than companies like HTC.

Your argument sounds like "we totally missed the boat on smartphones and tablets, so we should just ignore that market altogether and hope we're smart enough to catch the next big thing". I wonder if there were companies that thought that way about the PC market....companies that have been dead and buried since the 90s...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like