back to article iOS motion control iRing here at last ... but it's NOT made by Apple

In 2013, the rumour mill churned out the possibility of the Apple iRing motion controller and 2014 sees this become a reality. However, the iRing isn’t made by Apple but by IK Multimedia, a music technology firm that has an enduring love affair with iOS. IK Mulitimedia iRing iOS motion controller As far as styling goes, IK's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lottie

Hmm

Looks a bit annoying in that it's not a ring, but I can see how this would work quite well with performing DJs/ live mixers. Especially in those colours.

Now what would be really cool would be a DMX controller! With the SDK being free, I'm sure it won't be too long before we get one.

1. AndyS

Re: Hmm

I suppose the advantages of it not being a ring are that one size fits all, and it's very easy to put on, take off, and pass around for others to use.

I guess it would be easy to drop too, but if that's a real problem it would be pretty trivial to create a version that is, actually, a ring. Or for an owner to mod one themselves.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Looks a bit annoying in that it's not a ring,

I expect Apple had already patented rings with holes in the middle

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Now what would be really cool would be a DMX controller!

There are quite a few DMX devices that support MIDI triggering, and all the iDevices have Wireless MIDI baked in... so you should be able to hack / patch something together. There are also a few open-source applications that map iDevice sensor output (accelerometer etc) to MIDI.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iRing

Hope it doesn't give you "(i)Ring-(i)Sting"

Cheers

Jon

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems totally pointless.

1. AbelSoul

> Seems totally pointless.

Unlike your comment which adds an immeasurable amount to the debate.

4. JDX Gold badge

Whether the applications are useful, I have to applaud the simplicity.

1. EddieD

I agree totally.

Whilst not having the functionality of a Kinect, it's a darn sight cheaper and simpler.

And for those worried about dropping it - a wee bit of elastic glued to it will work wonders....

1. JDX Gold badge

And so cheap they could give them away or release 3D print specs, to drive adoption.

2. IKMultimedia

Thanks! The simpler the better! Nothing in the way to hinder creativity!

5. Mark Wilson

So now we can have an iTheramin!

1. Financegozu

Finally someone with a clue!!

Congrats!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

If it's a big success, they'll have to bring new people on board: "IK Multimedia - come work for us; we're iRing..."

7. Nanners

Just so you know

IK makes some of the best keyboards I've ever played... and I've played a lot.

1. IKMultimedia

Re: Just so you know

Thanks! We do try to make the best tools possible, we are all musicians here and love to make what we would use!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't find the original article but

here's a precious snippet :

[quote] There are a number of technologies around the corner that will be incorporated into the PC--whether we want them or not. Many of them will add functionality we don't need and won't use. Despite the illogic of some of these ideas, the makers persist for the simple reason that none of them know what they're doing. [/quote] John C. Dvorak, back in September 1998

That was a beautifully written article. If someone knows where we could get it, please share the link with us.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>> IK Multimedia, a music technology firm that has an enduring love affair with iOS.

How sad. Get out more!

1. IKMultimedia

We have actually been developing for Mac and PC platforms for well over a decade before we ever started on iOS and later on Android platforms. We are well respected for our contributions to music technology and software which helped us bring the same to iOS.

10. Halfmad

Gets right into the bit of your hand where the germs love too, excellent!

Looks pish.

1. theokurgan

I concur, it doesn't look great. Would love to see it in person, 20 quid isn't a big spend but this time of year every penny is a prisoner.

11. PhilBack
    Thumb Up

Actually a good idea to control some stuff on Ableton

I am using a controller on the iPad and it works pretty nicely.

Rings could be interesting for creating movement patterns to control filters indeed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like