back to article Steam and Origin gamers knocked offline by SEPARATE DDoS attacks

Valve's online gaming platform Steam and Electronic Arts' Origin were hit by separate DDoS attacks over the weekend. An assault by a crew calling themselves DerpTrolling left EA Origin's online systems intermittently unavailable for around 24 hours while a separate attack knocked steam offline for around an hour on Friday. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Irongut

Steam was affected for more than an hour. All weekend it was having problems and telling me it could not contact the Steam Network probably because my network was down. No it bloody wasn't.

Note to other programmers... never assume the problem must be at my end because your end could never go down, oh no.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Steam Cloud

I had problems with Steam Cloud for over 9 months, and they kept on telling me it was my end / my ISP / my router / my AV.

Turned out, it was their end. 5 minute fix and all was well again. Can't say I was impressed with their support.

And don't bother following their twitter account @steam_support. Thats only used to keep you posted on client updates, not the actual support stuff you'd be interested in.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suppose a slow hand clap is in order, some people have nothing better to do.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Hives of villany affected

4chan was also down for the count, AFAIK

3. NomNomNom

that'll sure teach them for that thing they did

4. David Webb

Awesome

Steam was also hit with a huge DDOS last month, though really it was caused by their winter sale (which cost me lots of dosh, but the new tomb raider for £8, bargain).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Awesome

Awesome, nearly as good as my deal I have to share with everybody.

Last year I picked up a stick of brocolli from Lidl's for only 69p.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Last year I picked up a stick of brocolli from Lidl's for only 69p."

Duly noted.

NSA

2. Tom 260

It was more the giving away of Left 4 Dead 2 as a Xmas Day freebie that wasted their servers, though only the ones serving up the store pages, the rest of the Steam platform didn't appear affected.

5. Efros

Seems to have been widespread major DDoS attacks going on

3 of the largest private trackers have been under attack for the last 4 days, two have been knocked off the net. Conspiracy theories abound, zeiko has been blamed, Hollywood, MPAA, RIAA, and Old Uncle Tom Cobbley.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eveonline

got hit as well by Derp on the 1st Jan but weathered it really quite well.

the attacks apparently were focused on a streamer called PhantomL0rd who then got doxd and had an unpleasant time (including arrest)

no mention by elreg tho, y u h8 eve?

7. Captain Scarlet
    Mushroom

Blast them

Was in Payday 2 and was actually in a game with people who werent trolls

/me waves fist after being disconnected in the middle of the game

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like