back to article Google tips hat to St George - finally

We're delighted to announce that Google has, after several years of nagging, finally got its act together and acknowledged the patron saint of hoodies, speed cameras, overvalued property, and binge drinking. Google's Saint George masthead Yes indeed, it's beers all round at the Googleplex for restoring English pride in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

I smell racism afoot!

Although El Reg is based in England, even the English fall into that eternal trap, England = UK. This is just not true, and with a .co.uk domain, you ought to be fighting for equality. We would like to see, FOR EXAMPLE, a St Andrew's Day acknowledgement on Google. UK != England. Fight, damn you, Reg, fight for the oppressed minorities!

2. Stewart Knight
    Coat

I'll be the one.........

Morris dancing outside

or not!

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

Good news indeed

By Jove, jolly good show

Mine's the chain mail one, and the white surcoat with the George cross

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

.co.uk

So, if we're not allowed to talk about the patron saint of England with a .co.uk domain - who's going to set up the .en registrar then?

Paris - because she understands being a saint!

5. Colin Guthrie

That's the problem with the world....

Most people (including many English people sadly) refer to the UK as "England". I was mighty pissed off on St Andrews day that the Scots didn't get a mention.... why is Google being so small minded? Jeeze without the Scots you'd not even have tellys let alone computers....

I'm sure the Irish got a mention on St Paddy's day.... so stand with me my Welsh brothers and sisters as we push a reluctant Dave and Andy out to clash with the big boys as we all stand in a circle chanting "fight, fight, fight!"...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hmmm...

I wonder if it's a good time for us English non-patriots to all mail the Googletards and bitch about unnecessary shows of nationalism.

7. Sean Purdy

Racism?

St George was Turkish anyway....

8. Solomon Grundy

Google UK

Too bad the nifty logo is only available on the UK version of Google.

9. Mike Crawshaw
    Thumb Down

No Surprises....

Google are probably acting on orders from Gordon Brown...

One thing I will give the Yanks is that they are generally pretty patriotic (ok, sometimes stupidly so) and the number of flagpoles flying their flag in front gardens over there is staggering - not to mention the number at workplaces. Over here, fly the Union Jack or English flag and you get arrested for "inciting racial hatred" or some other absurdity*.

*my gf is Indian parentage, and when she puts up the English flag round World Cup etc, she gets left alone because it's just too confusing for them... *grin*

10. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

St Patrick?

Surely St Patrick is the patron saint of binge drinking?

11. spiny norman
    Unhappy

No pleasing ...

I see they've completely ignored Shakespeare's birthday.

12. James Weston

RE: .co.uk et al

I guess you haven't seen this then: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/190839/campaign-begins-for-eng-domain.html

13. Dave Harris
    Happy

@Sean

Hence the kebab, i presume

14. Bodolph
    Happy

@Sean Purdy Re: St George Turkish!!!

I beg to differ - Anatolia was Greek at this time - he was Greek. Still doesn't explain why we don't have a local boy/girl as our national saint though!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

England still in UK - SHOCK!

Whilst UK != England, England is still in the UK.

I bet google wish they'd never kicked this off by marking st patricks day.

>Most people (including many English people sadly) refer to the UK as "England".

Well, England is most of it. ;)

This is because when Brits go abroad and people ask where they're from the Scots say Scotland, the (northern) Irish say Ireland, the Welsh say Wales and the English say either the UK or Britain.

BTW The Reg did a St Andrews day splash didn't it?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ Colin Guthrie

People in Wales have computers?

but, but, but - that means you've also go electricity!

When did this happen?

17. Liam
    Coat

in the uk patriotism = racism, apparently!

there has been cancellations of st. george's day parades because it might offend none-english. what a farce! do the immigrants actually feel offended by the st. george cross? i mean its englands flag (sorry im english, not british or a UK'ian?!?), its ridiculous. if you cant even fly your own countries flag what kind of country are we living in?

i was also hoping for today to be a national holiday - its about time we had a couple more in this country!

im sure england is the only country in the world where the government makes you feel ashamed to feel english. maybe if we got rid of all the scottish and welsh mps we might have abetter country? i mean how can a scotsman (im not even including gordon 'darth vader' brown) rule over what happens in england?

mines the one with the lance and a necklace made out of dragons teeth :)

18. Simon

Patron saint of....

...Moscow too!

So do we see it on google.ru too?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

St George?

Considering George isn't actually a saint anymore and hasn't been for years, I think a lot of people are getting excited over nothing....

20. Chris Phillips

Cheers Lester

Well great, joke or non-joke there goes another English hack perpetuating the exact reason why St George's day has the BNP laden image it sadly has these days. why the arse can't the press just be genuinely supportive and proud about it? Bloody fool you are lester.

21. Chris Walker

English Non Patriots

"I wonder if it's a good time for us English non-patriots to all mail the Googletards and bitch about unnecessary shows of nationalism."

Quick answer to that - no.

22. D. Hayes Blanchard
    Happy

Cry God for Harry, England and St George!

Happy St. George's Day from an 'Anglicized' American. I'll be popping round to my local after work (not located in the U.S.)

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Colin Guthrie

If you want to fight for Google to do something for Scotland on St Andrew's day then no-one here is stopping you.

I believe that 80% of the UK population is English (or at least lives in England, there are something like 14 million people living in London and only Guy Ritchie is actually English).

Also I thought the TV was invented by an American called Farnsworth P. Cousinmarrier or something similar and the computer was invented by arguably one or more of:

Charles "English" Babbage

Blaise "Pass me the cheese, I need to surrender" Pascal

Herman "The German" Hollirith

Tommy "Never even been to Scotland" Flowers

So not really any Scottish claim on the computer then. Unless I am massively mistaken. Which could be the case, I am rather depressingly sober at the moment.

24. steogede
    Stop

re: St Patrick?

>> Surely St Patrick is the patron saint of binge drinking?

By that measure, St. George is the patron saint of not giving a toss.

Google could simplify things by not honouring any of the national saints, just St. Isidore of Seville (April 4th) - the patron saint of both the Internet and computers. Though I suspect St. Bernardine of Siena (May 20th) is more likely, as he's the patron saint of advertising.

25. Mike
    Stop

@AC[1] & Colin Guthrie

Funny you should have that opinion that we are the great racists.

In my experience (as an Englishman), normally we're the only part of the British Isles that ISN'T allowed to be their home nationality.

If an Irishman, Scotsman or Welshman (no, this isn't the start of a joke) put down 'Irish', 'Scottish' or 'Welsh' then there are no questions asked, as they're showing they're proud of their heritage. If we put down 'English', however, we are frowned at. "You can't put THAT, you have to put 'British'". I know, I've had forms returned for doing it.

Likewise, our parliament (and government) is full of Celtic gents, despite all 3 other factions having their own parliaments/assemblies governing many of their own matters. Can I just enquire how many of YOUR assemblies have English representatives in them? Tell me that, then we'll discuss who the racist nations are, perhaps?

Oh, and @Mike Cranshaw, why would Gordon Brown be backing an English matter? Try listening a little closer and check out his history and I think you may find he's not an Essex boy...

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whingers!

I don't see a bloody outcry when St. Paddies day is marked by a celebratory google logo... because most use St. Paddies day as an excuse to go out and get plastered on the black stuff.

Get a bloody life!

27. Stephen

yay

Well from my perspective St Patrick's day seems to always get all the attention (with Irish Americans, Guinness and what have you) and the other patron saints do get forgotten.

I do also agree that its only fair that the Scots and Welsh get their mentions as well.

Also on the subject of St George's day, its not just about England you know... Other countries have St George as their patron saint including Georgia (hmm lets think on that name for a while shall we?) So lets get some recognition for St George, St Andrew and the others please.

28. Anton Ivanov
    Boffin

It is not just English Pride

My great grandfathers led troops under the St George Banner long before that, fought a foe that was considered invincible, were outnumbered 2:1 and won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kulikovo

All of that under St George's banner.

29. Tom
    Happy

Mailed

Every year I'd mail these goips about this and got a personal reply every time, explaining thew choices they have to make on banners every year and the choosing process was very complex, bollocks! every year they have a paddys day banner, my problem is that they have a .co.uk domain and snub old george every year. Any one else notice the dragon looks a little ashen faced today?

30. Charco
    Thumb Down

@ Liam and @Anonymous Coward

Liam, Tony Blair is Scottish and no-one complained about him...until he *cough* entered and illegal war...

Why should a Scot, as part of a United Kingdom, not be allowed in to the UK Parliament? Does that mean people in Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland should refuse to have an English Prime Minister? Don't be so bloody stupid.

Anonymous Coward, it's not racist in the slightest. Although the Register is a UK website it's also an English one. There's nothing stopping you starting your own petition to Google demanding a St Andrews day one or a Burns Night one.

The logo looks good. Pity it's UK only.

31. Charco

@Lee

No-one knows who really "invented" TV but John Logie Baird was the first to actually make one work (as opposed to simply having designs and patents). Even then it only recreated crappy face shapes.

Like most technology of that period various countries believe a different person invented it.

32. Mike Crawshaw
    Go

@ Mike

Mike, my bad - guess I wasn't clear.

I should have put "Google WERE probably acting on orders from Gordon Brown LAST YEAR..." rather than what I did.

Oh, look! A "Preview Comment" button! I wonder what THAT does??

33. Elmer Phud
    Alien

at the risk of being called 'unpatriotic' . . .

I've never quite been able to work out what 'English' actually is.

A language made up of all sorts including thing brought back from the colonies, a language with loads of French etc. etc. in it.

A monarchy that has never been English, the ruling nobility using a French model.

And to top it all a patron saint who was made redundant some time back who came from somewhere in the Mediterranean supposedly fighting a mythical creature.

It's a bit late trying to reclaim Blighty as it's all been foreign for centuries. We'd just forgotten that us invading other places is a fairly recent thing - before that it was an all-European fixture.

'English' really is the Chicken Tikka Masala, the white of the chicken and the red of the sauce -- not a bit of white rag with a red cross on it.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

We've got flags flying in our village! ...

... so far, nobody has complained, probably because they are all English, inbred, white and talk like Pirates about Tracters and Combine 'Arvesters.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ Chris Walker

One of the finest attributes of the English is that, apart from big sporting occasions, can't be arsed with all the patriotism bollocks. We leave that to countries with serious insecurities. Here are a few thoughts on patriotism for you:

"One of the great attractions of patriotism - it fulfills our worst wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully and cheat. Bully and cheat, what's more, with a feeling that we are profoundly virtuous." - Aldous Huxley

"The people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger." - Hermann Goering

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it." - Malcolm X

"Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles." - George Jean Nathan

"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons." - Bertrand Russell

"To be accused of a lack of patriotism by Rupert Murdoch is a bit like being told to sit up straight by the Hunchback of Notre Dame." - George Galloway

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it." – George Bernard Shaw

And best of all:

"The English are not usually given to patriotic boasting - indeed, both patriotism and boasting are regarded as unseemly, so the combination is doubly distasteful. But there is one significant exception to this rule, and that is the patriotic pride we take in our sense of humour, particularly our expert use of irony." - Kate Fox

36. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

china too

St George also patron saint of China.

Figgers, eh?

37. Gildas
    Coat

To Be Fair to Google

They have used a St George logo on April 23rd every other year from 2002. This is not the first year St George and a Dragon have appeared, it's the fourth.

No mention of Shakespeare, though.

Coat - mine's an anorak.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Elmer Phud

But that's the good bit about what 'English' actually is, it's a mix of the cultures we've been in contact with blending in the bits we like.

A good thing surely?

I'd hate it to be some thing constantly yearning for a golden age in some distant past that never really existed.

39. Sketch-UK
    Stop

Saints day, why bother?

As England is largely non-religious country (not including those people who only go to church for Christenings, Wedding and funerals), is a saints day really relevant?

Maybe a national holiday to celebrate the good things about England without a link to any ex-saint would be more appropriate.

Naturally, Scotland, NI and Wales would need to have days as well, so why not make it the same day.

Of course, what we really want is just a few more public holidays....

40. Wize

Being a Scot...

...I'm pleased you managed to get them to put up a St George banner.

But like so many others are saying, will you do the same for St Andrew and St David? Will you have a go at them every time they miss one of them too?

41. NB
    Coat

sounds familiar...

"The people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger." - Hermann Goering

Hmmm, sounds like almost every American politician currently in office...

On another note, why should Scottish and Welsh MP's be able to vote on issues and laws that only effect England? If they can do that then surely English MP's should be given the right to pop into the Scottish parliament or the Welsh assembly and vote however they please there. This seems only fair.

Let's face it, the only way our so-called Govt (I hardly consider 32% of the votes cast by only 60% of eligible voters to be an electoral mandate) gets its way in Parliament is by shipping in these external electoral interlopers and having them toe the party line because they know it won't affect their constituents.

We should have an English parliament for laws and issues that only effect England in which only English MP's can vote. That is the only fair solution and the only way to truly solve the West Lothian question.

While we're at it can we also be allowed to declare our country as England on web forms? I hate having to select 'United Kingdom' because I consider myself English, not British, not UK'ian but English. England is the nation of my birth and heritage and I will not be made to feel ashamed of that no matter what the namby pamby politically correct wankers say about 'offending non-english'. I'm sorry but who's country is this?!

</rant>

Mine's the one with St. Georges Cross on the back.

42. Adam
    Happy

@ St George? by AC

"Considering George isn't actually a saint anymore and hasn't been for years, I think a lot of people are getting excited over nothing..."

Hmmm, I think you're getting confused. In 1969 the Roman Catholic Pope revised the Roman Catholic church's list of saints days. For Roman Catholics, St George's day is an "optional" celebration, but St George is, nonetheless, a saint.

I doubt any downgrading would have been observed in England anyway, even by Roman Catholics.

So, unfold your arms, get out of your huff and enjoy yourself!

43. Chris Hunt

@liam

"There has been cancellations of st. george's day parades because it might offend none-english"

Is that true, or did you read it in the Daily Mail?

44. David Webb
    Happy

As a Welshman

As a Welshman, if anyone asks I'm British (its a lot easier, especially with Americans who have no idea where Wales is), however if I say "I'm British" people assume I'm English.

After I have beat them around the head with a daffodil and explained that English != UK, and of course used the phrase "Bloody English!" several times, its all settled.

This one time I was chatting to an American and they asked "where are you from?" I said "UK", they said "oh, I'm from MA!" or something, then asked "which state is UK?"

Anyhow, that dragon looks cute, and whilst you English may have a bloody great dragon killer, us Welsh have a dragon... wait... umm... yeah...

Happy St Georges day ya bloody English ;)

45. TrishaD

@JonB

Quite so...

Lets face it, you cant get much more culturally diverse than having a patron saint of England who was actually Armenian

46. George Johnson
    Thumb Up

Apologies to the great Bill Bailey...

England!

No 1 - Obesity!

No 1 - Childhood asthma!

No 1 - Binge drinking!

Champions!

47. Liam

@ Chris Hunt

nope (the only time i read the mail is to take the piss out of the idiots that read it :))

the mrs saw it on the news or something apparently. its like when the footy is on - the st georges cross gets classed as the BNP flag :(

im sure 1/2 the english in this ountry think the union jack is their flag :(

48. Elmer Phud
    Coat

@JonB

"But that's the good bit about what 'English' actually is, it's a mix of the cultures we've been in contact with blending in the bits we like."

Yup, it's just that those who usually consider themselves to be 'True Brits' (yeah I know, but you try telling them) tend to think that somehow there has been a culture that arose all by itself, without any outside influence.

Douglas Bader -- now that sounds a bit of a Scots/German mix to me.

Another image shot down in flames.

I'd get my tweed coat but even that comes from Scotland.

49. Dean Burrows
    Flame

Look and listen...

I cannot believe what I am seeing...

Assuming that 90% of El Reg readers are, like myself, involved in some computing career of some form...

Why the hell are you all arguing patriotism or facts when you have a NATIONAL excuse to bunk off work and go for a drink?

Think what the Bastard would do then hang your heads in shame as you fumble blearily for your 8th pint...

The Flame because I am on my 8th pint and in complete lack of control of my emotions...

I may go and change printer access priviliges out of sheer mind-numbing evilness when I get back to work....

50. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@Tom Re Paddy's Day

Actually they don't have a Paddy's day logo EVERY year. I checked and they didn't have one in 1999 (yer I know but) or in 2003.

51. This post has been deleted by its author

52. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@TrishaD

He's been Turkish, Greek and Armenian so far in this thread, and wikipedia reckons his mum was a Palestinian. He deserves sainthood purely for ethnic diversity!

53. Pete Spicer

4th time around!!!

Google has celebrated St George's Day with a logo 4 times now - 2002, 2004, 2006 and of course today.

I'm just pleased that something so big as Google recognises our little island!!

54. Stephen

Cancellations

"There has been cancellations of st. george's day parades because it might offend none-english"

From the same source who said the Red Arrows were barred from the 2012 games for being "Too British"?

But hey we love to make fun of the political correctness gone mad in this country. Oh and Welsh and Scottish MPs barred for voting on English laws thanks.

55. Nick Rutland

Patron saint of ...

... Barcelona as well.

Olay!! (phonetic, because I can't do accents)

56. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

@I smell racism afoot!

Hate to be pedantic, but...

English is not a race.

Sorry about that all you English types out there. I'll be down the pub. Maybe we can all join hands and sing a happy song of peace and harmony or something.

I've left this anonymous because I really really hate being pedantic.

Actually, it isn't pedantic at all - I'm just being precise.

57. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear numerous...

@Several people - it's not the Union Jack anymore, it's the Union Flag

@NB - "why should Scottish and Welsh MP's be able to vote on issues and laws that only effect England?" As a Scot in London, I'm with you on that one. Jolly good jape how they let that slip through the net though...

I guess the reason St Paddy's day gets a mention every year is because it's huge in the ex-pat communities - i.e. the US, possibly the biggest Paddy's Day celebrations? A fair amount of New Yorkers count themselves as Irish (and indeed Scottish) due to the emmigrations that happened 100's of years ago. Most people of English ancestry are still here.

Here's a question which requires complete honesty though - how many people here would realise it was St George's Day without the media coverage or a line in a calendar? Most English people I know have no clue on the day or the run-up to it. Not sure if this is cause or effect of the limited celebrations though...

58. yonorri
    Coat

I just wanted to say...

Mines the flame proof one.

59. Gianni Straniero
    Thumb Up

Elvis McGonagall

By George! by Elvis Mcgonagall

Once more unto the breach, dear Morris Dancers

once more

Jingle your bells, thwack sticks, raise flagons

Cry “God for Harry and Saint George!”

Gallant knight and slayer of dragons

Patron saint of merry England –

And Georgia, and Catalonia, and Portugal, Beirut, Moscow

Istanbul, Germany, Greece

Archers, farmers, boy scouts, butchers and sufferers of

syphilis

Multicultural icon with sword and codpiece

On, on you bullet-headed saxon sons

Fly flags from white van and cab

But remember stout yeomen, your champion was Turkish

So – get drunk and have a kebab

60. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

the Welsh had this already..

us Cymraeg had St David's day represented on Google this year. Now the Sais have their guy. If the Scots have their St Andrew missing, it's because they haven't hassled google. (hint: you can email the logo designer and ask him... politely... en-masse..)

61. Richard Tobin

Bollocks to the lot of 'em

I live in Scotland and I've not interest in seeing St Andrew's or any other saint's ady celebrated. It's just the medieval church's answer to Hallmark cards.

62. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: I just wanted to say...

Good God, was that actually an IGMC that wasn't attached to a quip or even a preceding sentence?

It's a new low, folks.

63. Sean Purdy
    Pirate

Dear AC

It is still the Union Jack - when you fly it on a ship. And the Union Flag otherwise.

And to Liam - I'm sure more than 1/2 the people in this country think it's their flag, because it is.

More pointless debate on the interweb, hurrah!

Oh, and the Jolly Roger, because that's the nearest the icon set has to a flag.

64. pctechxp

.en Top Level Domain

Come on El Reg, get Nominet to set one up, I'll be second in to register my domain.

65. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

who cares?

"My mother was half English and I’m half English too

I’m a great big bundle of culture tied up in the red white and blue

I’m a fine example of your Essex man

And I’m well familiar with the Hindustan

Cos my neighbours are half English and I’m half English too

My breakfast was half English and so am I you know

I had a plate of Marmite soldiers washed down with a cappuccino

And I have a veggie curry about once a week

The next day I fry it up as bubble and squeak

Cos my appetites half English and I’m half English too

Dance with me to this very English melody

From morris dancing to Morrissey,

all that stuff came from across the sea

Britannia, she’s half English, she speaks Latin at home

St George was born in the Lebanon, how he got here I don’t know

And those three lions on your shirt,

They never sprang from England’s dirt

Them lions are half English and I’m half English too

Oh my country, what a beautiful country you are"

Patriotism is just silly, 'nuff said.

66. Not That Andrew
    Coat

Who gives a toss

See you down at the pub!

67. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)
    Coat

@ Sarah

Yes.

68. Dan Moore

British does equal English though really

Other countries' views/stereotypes of the UK are almost entirely based on England, and in fact probably so are ours. That's what you get for being the dominant culture. That's why people in England confuse England and Britain and often get confused between celebrating being British or English. In Scotland and Wales they don't have this since there's a seperate Scottish or Welsh idendity. The English one as I said gets confused with British.

All of the countries that "properly" celebrate their national day aren't a weird mix of three and a half countries.

And I believe that parade that was "cancelled" was in fact just recommended to be redirected on the advice of the police because it was going through an area that had race riots a few years ago. Then the organisers threw a hissy fit and cancelled it themselves.

Of course it's much easier to blame it all on "immigrants" isn't it?

69. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Andrew Orlowski

What's that? A comment from Andrew "No Comment" Orlowski?

My eyes must be playing tricks on me.

70. WhetPhish
    Heart

God Save Our Real Ale!!!

Google always has shamrocks on St Patrick's Day, daffodils on St David's day, etc. etc. so why can't us English celebrate our nationality for a change? It seems these days to call yourself English and fly the flag of St George must mean you are either a neo-nazi or a football hooligan!

Viva inglaterra! ;)

71. Dave Bell

They got it wrong.

What day is this, who should we celebrate?

Some foreign bloke, or someone of our own?

We have his face, and what he did create,

And language grown from all the seed that's sown.

He was an actor, and perhaps a thief;

Handsome, flash, his wife left far behind,

He might have followed older, banned, belief,

And grief his youthful features slowly lined.

Yet from his age his words fill all of time;

He still speaks clear, of love, of joy, of death.

Where e'er we go, he holds our hearts in rhyme.

Who was St. George? Who catches thus our breath?

So drink to Will, and toast him in his haven.

Today's his day, the famous Bard of Avon.

72. ian
    Thumb Up

John Bull then?

With St. George both Catholic, imaginary, and non-English, I move that we adopt John Bull as the official personification of England. He is English and has no religious connotations and so has fewer levels of mis-direction.

Either the St. George Cross is re-branded, or we replace it with something associated with bulls...

73. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Not on .com, it's not

Unlike the St. Patrick's day logo, it only appears on google.co.uk, not .com

74. Daniel B.
    Unhappy

The UK

I remember a girl on a BBS that has the nadle "England". Someone asked "Who's England" and I answered, as a joke: "It's one of the constitutent countries of the United Kingdom".

The follow-up from one of the SysOps cracked me up in laughter:

"Aren't those the same thing?"

Note: In the Spanish-speaking world, "Inglaterra" is commonly used (England) and "Reino Unido" (United Kingdom) isn't used except in official uses. Something similar happens to the Nederlands, as we call them "Holanda" (Holland), as the actual name (Paises Bajos) just doesn't stick. Oops!

Sad face because I can't see the Google banner, not even from the .co.uk site :(

75. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Ethnicity on forms...

@Charco

I have lots of fun with ethnicity questions, essentially I refuse to answer them in any way that fits within TPTB's preconceptions.

Since I'm a little rotund, have a beard and am frequently grumpy and my ancestors came from Scandinavia, I list myself as a Viking.

If someone were to return a form for that reason, they might be walking a little strangely shortly thereafter.

--

Berserker

(yes, one of those with the horns on it)

76. babz
    Stop

Like the scots need it

You cant go 100 yards in Scotland without seeing a Saltire adorning a car, building or on an item of clothing.. do they need yet more nationalism?

77. Chris Hamilton
    Thumb Up

Petty racist xenophobia abounds....

As usual.... listen up peeps... yes some un-enlightened foreigners still think the UK = England. As a Scotsman (but also fiercely British), I don't get angry about it (there are 50 million of them and 5 million of us), I just correct them (with a standard 15 minute lecture on the geopolitical history of the British Isles) and move on. In the same way I would correct people for referring to The Netherlands as Holland.

And why shouldn't Gordon Brown and all the other Scots MP's vote on UK matters in a UK parliament. If the English want a parliament, then stop whingeing quietly, blaming everyone else for having some initiative and fight for a devolved parliament of your own. I live in England, and I have yet to see an agreed, consistent approach to a campaign for a devolved parliament that doesn't descend into either racist views or ridiculous opinion. In fact in my part of the country, the most vocal activists (the Wessex Party) would happily see England broken up altogether and their little corner return to the Kingdom of Wessex. It's that type of closed in, isolationist argument that causes the English Parliament debate to be thrown out.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is far greater as a whole than the sum of its parts.

78. Richard

The yellow 3/4 O

A mate of mine pointed this out. Does the yellow O that's been partially destroyed look like it's sticking two fingers up at the dragon?

79. IR

Another year of it

This happens every year. The tabloids report a load of rubbish about flags or parades being banned so it doesn't offend immigrants, but it is never true. Occasionally there is a case of a single jobsworth with the wrong end of the stick but a word with their associates and it is all sorted out, but this is never reported.

So every year, people claim that they can't fly their flags because they will be arrested, sued, accused of being racist, or something equally silly and unfounded. So no one flies their flags.

The main reason there aren't many St George's Day parades or events is because it is only shortly before May Day, which has much better prospects for an big event than a guy who has no clear history. May Day has better weather, actual events associated with it (may pole dancing, morris dancing, the green man, etc, all those English things), and it is a bank holiday weekend.

There are usually small St George parades in most towns, but unless you comb the local newspaper or go to church then you won't know about it. Standing in the cold for 20 minutes to watch a troop of scouts, St John's Ambulance and a Salvation Army band isn't really all that popular though.

But don't let facts bother you, just complain that everyone thinks it is racist and don't make any effort to do anything about it. If all the people who complained about nothing happening for St George's Day actually went and did something...

80. Joe Soap
    Flame

English, Not British

I cannot put my nationality as English when filling out forms and have to say that I am British, I am not Welsh, Scotish, or Irish, I am English !

Imagine if Mexicans, Canadians, Alaskans, Hawaiians, and those from the USA could only select the option of "North American" !

Those from the USA are known as Yanks here in the uk regardless of the civil war dividing line.

There are also the Manx from the Isle of Man, and other islands that are part of the British Isles but not part of the UK (Lets not even think about the Falklands issue ).

Being English I speak English, not Scotish, Irish, or Welsh, if you are a Yank then I know you speak a strange corrupt version of English, but not French or Spanish :)

81. anarchic-teapot

@all the moaners

Look, the English get regularly trounced at football, rugby, tennis, golf, cricket... just about everything really, except making real ale.

Fer crissakes let them have *something* to celebrate.

I'll be down the Frog & Rosbif if anyone asks.

82. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

If you care so much then where's your St George's Banner?

Oh it's under the banner advert for NetApps, wow you really do care!

Physician heal thy self.

83. Mr Larrington
    Paris Hilton

Last refuge of a scoundrel?

If TPTB want we ENGLISH to celebrate Will the Quill's birthday, how about giving us a Bank Holibob? We're woefully short of the things in comparison with FOREIGNERS.

84. Sketch-UK
    Coat

Here's an Idea

Let's forget St George and celebrate the true geeks holiday.

May 4th, Star Wars Day.

There are some similarities.

Both celebrate the work of someone called George.

Both are "A Long Time Ago"

Both include the slaying of mythical beasts (i.e. the rancor)

> Mines the one with the extra long light saber pocket

85. Peter Revell

Will the Quill

He died on his birthday.

86. Stewart Haywood
    Flame

Wots all this about 'im not being a saint then?

St George was demoted to a third class saint by the Papists in 1963. He was then restored in 2000. He has never been dropped by the one true Church of England (even if Blair did, in a fit of unpatriotic foolishness, desert to the Hitler Youth led Papist horde).

This topic is closed for new posts.