back to article Microsoft tries to trademark 'Mod' in the US

Microsoft is attempting to trademark the phrase “Microsoft Mod” in a move being interpreted as step towards renaming the Windows 8/8.1 interface. The software giant in December lodged a wordmark filing with the US Patent and Trademark office (USPTO) to claim “Microsoft Mod” and “Microsoft Office Mod.” The filings were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft tiles?

Please send my cheque by mail.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Microsoft tiles?

Windows Mothra still is better.

2. Proud Father

Quadrophenia!

Cool, all we need now is a Linux distro called 'Rockers' and we can have Mods vs Rockers!

I'll get my parka.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

Re: Quadrophenia!

I was thinking Google Rocker or Apple Rocker, but very much along the same lines, so have an upvote instead :)

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Hey, I passed my driving test on a Lambretta LI-150 wearing a parka. I still passed despite one of the cables connecting the gearchange mechanism to the gearbox getting rather frayed making changing down very difficult.

Now I ride a Triumph Tiger 1050 but I like watching Quadrophenia simply because a few of my old mates are in it.

As for the distro's. IMHO Ubuntu is for Mods. Slightly dated and Fading away whereas Mint is the one that rocks at the moment.

1. Proud Father

Ha those were the days! It was the throttle cable that frayed for me.

My power options were sometimes limited to:

1) Zero (ignition off)

2) 3/4 power

3) Full power

Fun times :)

3. Frumious Bandersnatch

Cool, all we need now is a Linux distro called 'Rockers' and we can have Mods vs Rockers!

But they'd probably get sued by the Rockstar consortium.

4. TheOtherHobbes

Won't get fooled again [tm].

5. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

OK, Rockers Linux needs version names. Orderly list please.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Childcatcher

Never mind all this! - are the kids alright!?

7. big_D Silver badge
      Megaphone

We are, we are, we are the Mods

Hmm, a youn Toyah and Leslie Ash... I'm more of a biker than scooter rider, but everyone on two wheels is a compatriot, when the NTB drivers are out to get you.

8. beep54
      Joke

In the film A Hard Days Night, Ringo was asked if he was a mod or a rocker. He quickly came back with, " I'm a mocker." Sorry. Always loved that bit.

3. Volker Hett

The punters are excited

first reactions in the news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E4znu82XhE

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Re: The punters are excited

Kinda reminds me of how Microsoft treat their users these days.

4. Roger Greenwood

(TM) or (R)

As I understand it in the UK/EU anyone can slap a (TM) on anything, the (R) however is a registered trademark and should be respected accordingly.

5. MaFt

Makes sense to me...

'TM' in the UK *is* a registered Trademark. The 'R' is non-existent here.

As for 'Mod' I think it makes sense. When they weren't allowed to use Metro anymore they always referred to it as their 'Modern' looking interface - Mod is obviously short for Modern. "Microsoft Office Mod" sounds better spoken than "Microsfot Office Modern"

1. ISYS

Re: Makes sense to me...

Mod is now normally used as an abbreviation of 'Modification'

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

lots of script kiddies breaking out their LUA code to try and get automated gold mining working in MS Office....

2. Roger Stenning
        Facepalm

So by their way of thinking, the current version out there is Windows Mark 8 Mod 1? Oh frabjous joy. Not.

3. big_D Silver badge

I thought it was short for modulo.

4. Jess

Re: Mod is now normally used as an abbreviation of 'Modification'

Makes sense to me, you need to mod the system to make it useable on a single screen machine that isn't a tablet.

5. Robin Bradshaw

"Mod is now normally used as an abbreviation of 'Modification'"

I think it still is being used this way, as in you'll have to modify it to make it usable.

2. Richard Jones 1

Oh, for a few moments I thought it was the other side of Microsoft Roc(ker). The thing is their new offerings are off their rocker.

3. DaLo

"'TM' in the UK *is* a registered Trademark. The 'R' is non-existent here."

Eh? The ® signifies a registered trademark in the UK. ™ Symbol has no legal significance but can be used to show that you believe that the mark would qualify for protection from passing-off.

4. Nick Ryan Silver badge

You have it the wrong way round.

As DaLo has noted above, (R) is the Registered Trade Mark. "TM" represents just Trade Mark, or for those that know anything about the subject, is often more accurately interpreted as "Totally Meaningless".

Anybody can append "TM" to a word or identifier, applying for and being granted a Registered Trade Mark costs a minimum of £170 and goes through a set process prior to acceptance. The IPO (Intellectual Property Office) has the details on their website.

5. PassingStrange

>'TM' in the UK *is* a registered Trademark. The 'R' is non-existent here.

As others have said - that's totally back to front.

In the UK the "R" in a circle denotes a registered trademark, and it's an offence to use it incorrectly. It's not illegal to use "TM" to indicate that something is being used as a trademark, but it nor does it have any legal significance. (Source: www.ipo.gov.uk)

1. Havin_it

>In the UK the "R" in a circle denotes a registered trademark, and it's an offence to use it incorrectly.

Crikey. Then El Reg are in a spot of bother... What's the standard fine for misuse, multiplied by every article on the site? Are we accessories for reading them?

I've probably transgressed a couple times myself, when writing swears in a child-friendly f@%™ing manner.

Wur aw gettin' the jail!!

1. Jonathan Richards 1
          Go

Spot of bother avoided

> Crikey. Then El Reg are in a spot of bother...

Not at all. The masthead sports Community Trademark EU003348381, registered in 2003.

1. Havin_it

Re: Spot of bother avoided

Eh, I was referring to the one that suffixes the text of every article... You know, the last byte you see before you weigh up the fateful decision of whether to venture into the land of Commentardia...

6. sorry, what?
    Facepalm

FFS (TM)

The word "Mod" or "mod" has been used so much in all sorts of scenarios including software modules and software modification I can only assume Microsoft have a new ('humanities' flavour) 16 year old "marketing" person in charge of this...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: FFS (TM)

And I guess at 16 1/2 you must be far smarter than the 16 year old marketing person.

Read the f'ing article and not the link bait heading; they are not trying to trademark "Mod" but "Microsoft Mod" and "Microsoft Office Mod", the latter two, I'd say are pretty unique.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think you misunderstand the intent of the poster.

He, like me, associate the term "mod" with its prevalent usage within the computing and gaming community to mean a modification, often unofficial, to software to change/enhance its function.

That may, or may not, be what Microsoft mean in this context. The particular association with Office and Metro made in the article is pure speculation on the part of El Reg.

2. sorry, what?
        Happy

@Lost all faith... Oh to be 16 1/2 again! Well... perhaps not.

btw, see @skelband's excellent reply to you.

7. James 51

I can't find the correction button so:

"the naem with one of its European partners"

I am guessing that should be the name.

8. Nya

TIFKAM

Thought we had already settled and called it TIFKAM? even pages not on here, and the main press have used it. Although I guess licensing it off the Reg might of been a bit highly priced for them, there is after all only so many pints you can get stacked onto one of the licensing types.

1. Eponymous Cowherd
      Devil

Re: TIFKAM

They can call it whatever they like, Modern, Mod, Metro, TIFKAM.

I'll still just call it Shite.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Joke

Microsoft have a lot of prior art in that area though, so I doubt they could trademark it now.

2. The Brave Sir Robin

Oddly enough. I was going to say exactly the same thing but prefixed by the word utter.

9. Mag07

TM does not require registering anything, and can be used freely until someone that has that particular word/phrase/whatnot registered, complains. R - stands for a registered trade mark.

1. vagabondo

My understanding is that a trademark exists as a consequence of its use as such within a field of activity. Registration is useful in the case of a dispute, by providing a verified date for claimed use. i.e. not essential, but desirable.

10. Chris Evans

A Trademark is not a Patent

Why the sloppy reporting of: "The patents were uncovered by NeoWin..." Tabloids journalists get this sort of thing wrong but I expect better of a Technology Website.

1. vagabondo

Re: A Trademark is not a Patent

except in the USA?

1. frank ly

I believe there are subtle differences in the use of language, between the English speaking countries and the American speaking countries.

1. Darryl

Ahem...

'The English speaking countries and the American speaking country."

No plural on the 2nd one

You're welcome

1. sam bo

I beg to differ , most Taiwanese and Phillipino English speakers have an American accent. Probably a few others too where the English is American due to their cultural domination. Even in the English colony of Australia the kids affect a bastardised American/Australian accent as a matter of course.

1. Zot

True, I have emails from people from all over the world where English is not their first language, and they spell everything in the American way without any exception, just like The Register it seems.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft really do need to sack their marketing and branding people, they really are rubbish.

One of the big brands they have, XBox was rejected by the marketing team until consumer research proved that XBox was the most favoured name out of a list of possible names.

1. Charles Manning

" XBox was the most favoured name out of a list of possible names"

It makes you wonder how crap the real names were that theshiny-pants marketing lizzards proposed.

1. Captain DaFt

" XBox was the most favoured name out of a list of possible names"

"It makes you wonder how crap the real names were that theshiny-pants marketing lizzards proposed."

Given Microsoft's normal naming conventions, I'd dare say that Their marketing dept was wanting to name the original Xbox the 'Windows Gaming Console - Home Edition'.

12. T. F. M. Reader

The mods and the trads

I suspect a lot of ... eh ... tards here will remain trads, with start menus and everything. Despite the trad-marks. Well, you gotta be somebody, ain't ya?

That Italian coat, please, I'm outta 'ere.

13. Vociferous

Yeah, this wont cause confusion...

...I take it there's no gamers at Microsoft, or anyone who tried entering "mod" into a search engine.

14. Why Not?
    Coat

Surely they would be better going back to the Glory days of 3.1/4.0? That was windows New Technology.

Maybe they can make this Windows 'Tiles Technology' =Win TT?

Modern Technology = Win 'MT'

or

Windows Tile Features = WTF?

Mines the one with the Win7 CDs in it. Microsoft normally get it right on the odd version (NT4 & win 95 being the exceptions)

1. Joel Mansford

NT4 & Win 95 the exceptions

Actually, NT 3.51 with the 'new shell' addon was the one that got it right, NT4 happened to be the marketed version of said product. Yes, there were some changes to where the video drivers sat, but fundamentally 3.51 with the Win95 shell got it 'right'

2. Steve Renouf

Or maybe. ..

Technology In Tiles (TIT)

3. DJSpuddyLizard

>Surely they would be better going back to the Glory days of 3.1/4.0? That was windows New Technology.

>Maybe they can make this Windows 'Tiles Technology' =Win TT?

>Modern Technology = Win 'MT'

>or

>Windows Tile Features = WTF?

>Mines the one with the Win7 CDs in it. Microsoft normally get it right on the odd version (NT4 & win 95 being >the exceptions)

RT = "Reduced Technology"

1. Euripides Pants

Re: RT = "Reduced Technology"

That makes too much sense, it can't be true.

4. unitron

95 actually an even number. Sort of.

"Microsoft normally get it right on the odd version (NT4 & win 95 being the exceptions)"

95 was the follow up to Windows 3pointwhatever riding on top of DOS, so it was really Windows 4.0 (not to be confused with Windows NT 4.0)

If you screw around with Regedit, you can probably find places where it's called 4.0

15. disgruntled yank

Microsoft Mod?

When you dress up Gates or Ballmer in a black turtleneck to compete with Steve Jobs?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft Bob

That's what Microsoft Mod reminds me of. It's what Windows 8.x reminds me of too.

Handy that....

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will the UK's MoD now have to change it's name?

Or is this just an extension of the Submarine Command System Next Generation (SMCS-NG) (Windows For Submarines)

18. Hans 1
    Joke

xBox Modders

They wanna get all those modder sites down!

19. WonkoTheSane

/me rushes to trademark "Microsoft steaming pile of *&^T"

Because "Truth in Advertising"

20. Hans 1
    Windows

As for a name for the Metro ui ... xBox ui, it was the first incarnation of a MS tile ui and is just as useless.

BTW, unity and gnome 4 also think it's bright to have tiles, apparently, I mean those big fat icons that take up whacks of space and make it very hard to find the program you are looking for ... I guess they are trying to cater for the window cleaners that are shifting to Linux en masse.

21. Paul Shirley

one of its European partners?

Surely the problem was that the German Metro brand owner was not a Microsoft partner in any form giving MS no leverage to bully and nothing that particular supermarket chain wants to bargain with.

Given that any online "Metro Store" would suffer feature creep (as seen over at Google store), killing a potential competitor would make sense to a retailer with no MS dependencies. What's wrong with Windows Modern though (or even "Windows Metro"), if they're allowed to bolt Windows and Mod together they'd have no more trouble doing Windows Modern and it's a hell of a lot more stylish. Even if the product it describes is the opposite of stylish ;)

1. Jodo Kast

Re: one of its European partners?

Google is your friend: "Source confirms Microsoft abandoned Metro due to trademark gaffe"

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We know why it's called Metro

As Windows 8 has gone down the tubes...

23. Anonymous C0ward

People try to put them down...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stupid. I can think of better names than "MicroSoft Mod".

And I can see how conversations will go.

"Have you tried the new MicroSoft Mod yet?"

"Which one are you talking about? Windows 8? Windows 8.1? Metro? Modern?"

"Uh.....no, I was talking about.... You know what, fuck it, forget I ask."

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MODODO

They should've went for MODODO Microsoft Office / Operating DODO. Sounds vaguely African too so they might get some of the peed off Ubuntu crowd

26. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Mod? Metro?

We have another name for it. But I'm not certain the USPTO will grant a trademark for something made up from the number keys shifted.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

I feel my vowels moving.

Are we sure that is an O and not an A?

Microsoft Mad interface?

Office Mad Pro, Mad Outlook and other Mad offerings.

28. fishman

Back to the 70's

"Mod" was popular back in the 1970's (and probably the 60's, too). Remember the TV show "The Mod Squad"?

When I think of "Mod", I think of Disco and bell bottom pants - things I don't want to relive.

1. Euripides Pants
      Windows

Re: Back to the 70's

I think I've found their target market....

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2013/may/10/pictures-of-week-mod-couples#/?picture=408060865&index=0

2. Captain DaFt

Re: Back to the 70's

"Mod Squad"? Is that what Microsoft's naming their version of the 'Genius Bar'?

(I keed, I keed... I hope!)

1. Euripides Pants

Re: Mod Squad

That would be the new name for the Geek Squad at Best Buy....

29. MissingSecurity
    Trollface

Oh, I get it....

They plan on changing it to do something else every release until the system is so fragmented we'll be taking about how MS Mod - eXt3m3 Sweetness was way better than MS Mod- Bunny Foofoo, but how we all can't wait for the last MS Mod - Facepalm.

30. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

Microsoft FAIL

Doesn't matter what they call it. It's still a touch-optimized UI forced onto a computer with a mouse/keyboard and an upright display. And it still sucks.

31. This post has been deleted by its author

32. All names Taken
    Joke

Metro to Me-troll ?

1. Havin_it
      Windows

That's now got me thinking (Microsoft) Mee-krob.

33. P. Lee

The funeral pyre

The tagline was going to be Mod->Earn!

Instead, I'm hoping for Mod->urn

What? Why? When? How? Not analysis questions for your next project, but things that went through my mind when confronted by TIFKAM. At least when I learnt vi, it gave me new, more powerful ways of doing things.

34. Bladeforce

Microsoft should have TM'd

the words Bugs/malware/virus/trojan/adware/updates/nsakey/fud/extortion/theft but alas they are synonymous with those anyway

35. Robert Forsyth

MS name for app?

Apple have App

Google have apps (should that be Gadgets?)

Mozilla have Add-ins

Microsoft could have Mod

for a widget which enhances the existing product, such as an Microsoft Office template to do your tax returns

Apple Apps

Google Grommets

Java Jars

Mozilla Firefox MFs

Microsoft Mini-apps or Minis

1. Spoonsinger

Re: or whats wrong with Microsoft Eadon?

That could work on so many funny levels, (well ok one) - but would indicate a new start in a walled garden.

36. nuked

Maybe so they can force Google to remove links to anything that would make their shite software even remotely useful...

37. Zot

An ugly thudding word, 'mod.'

It's painful watching MS do things like this, but the name isn't as bad as 'Zune.'

1. Terry 6 Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: An ugly thudding word, 'mod.'

I was just thinking about what impression the word made on me, then I saw your comment and just, well, agree.

Says it all.

"An ugly thudding word"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: An ugly thudding word, 'mod.'

Yeah. Even Microsoft junk sounds better

38. Truth4u

Terrible name

Why not call it Windows Mobile, because the old Windows Mobile was so terrible that the name is tainted forever? Yep, I think that's the only reason.

39. roselan

In 10 years

We will still call it metro.

or maybe os/3.

40. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

Windows Mod sounds awful to me, like "modification". Or reminds me of Mods and Rockers of course (not that I have a clue what they are - not quite old enough!). Seriously they ought to come up with a better name. Metro was a good name, pity it can't be used. As a footnote I'd just like to say how much I hate MS office when you install it coming up with a video clip which speaks to you "welcome to your modern office"! Cringeworthy!

41. itscoldhere

Lame name (as usual)

Apple just need to roll out their old Windows geek vs. cool Apple dude, to put this latest flaccid MS marketing attempt in it's place.

Who actually comes up with these lame names? Time to hire an advertising agency that isn't run by old white guys who think a BlackBerry is the last word in coolness.

42. shaunhw

Microsoft Crap ?

Microsoft Retro ?

Microsoft NotWindows ?

Microsoft SinclairSpectrum

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about

Arrangement of Rectangular or Square Executables - or ARSE ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like