back to article IBM spends holiday season wrangling e-tail FAIL

Australia's largest department store's website crashed for the week of post-Christmas sales, leaving IBM and possibly Oracle scrambling to fix the mess. The department store chain that suffered the outage is Myer, Australia's analog for the UK's John Lewis or North America's Macy's inasmuch as it is positioned beneath more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given how some kit like this is designed versus what it should be I think it's fair to assume that either someone tripped over a network cable, or office cleaners used the power socket for vacuuming...

2. jake Silver badge

Whatever,

Outside of the drooling masses, who purchases anything online?

Honest question ...

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Whatever,

I know I do. Not very often, but a couple times a year. Usually when I'm after something that no brick-and-mortar shop has in stock; it saves me at least a week in waiting time, plus usually a bit of cash. Plus, some cool things are only available that way; that's how I got my Pis, for example.

And then there's everything job-related...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

> some cool things are only available that way; that's how I got my Pis

I though cold Pis was widely available in Australian drinking establishments?

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Outside of the drooling masses, who purchases anything online?

Those of us who don't want to be attacked every five seconds by sales drones desperate to hit their targets?

3. Bill B
      Thumb Up

A good post. It managed to combine a sneering superiority together with a complete ignorance of the realities of the marketplace in a single sentence. Just for that I gave it a thumbs up.

4. John H Woods Silver badge

Honest answer ...

I don't know, because I don't know if you consider me one of the drooling masses :-)

I live four miles outside Stratford-upon-Avon. Driving into 'town' (and parking) costs more than having most items delivered to the house next day, even if I valued my time at 0/hr (which I don't). I work mainly from home so delivery is not a problem and even when I am out during working hours I have completely trustworthy neighbours (and live in a place where all but the highest value items can be safely left outside the house anyway).

Online retail in the UK often undercuts retail prices very significantly, which is another factor: I bought three 1m HDMI leads through Amazon for less than the price of a single one from our local consumer electronics outlet. Outside big cities, local retailers have limited stock - I can buy e-cigarette liquid locally, but not the brand my wife uses.

Being in the UK, I have a lot of additional rights when I buy online, the key one is the ability to return items uncontested if I change my mind for any reason. I don't worry too much about ID theft, having taken a few basic precautions, and if the worst came to the worst I'm not worth that much anyway.

I suspect a lot of people find themselves in the same circumstances; does that answer your question?

Edit: I do, however, support my local shop and non-chain and small-chain local businesses.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

"the key one is the ability to return items uncontested if I change my mind for any reason"

Unless you use Steam...

1. Captain Scarlet

@Tom

You can get a refund as long as you don't run the game or application purchased, have done it before a few years ago and see no reason for them to change it (Right click the game and there should be a refund option, although I am unsure how many days its there for)). The only problem is the amount will probably get refunded to your Steam Wallet these days.

5. bigtimehustler

You actually managed to answer your own question...its clearly the masses as you quite rightly said yourself, you not doing so being in the minority. Obviously someone left their brain behind in the office when they left for new years!

6. Eponymous Cowherd
      Facepalm

Re: Whatever, (way to go, jake)

Considering the nature of this site. I'm guessing you just insulted 99.99% of everyone who reads your post.

Graciously yours, The Drooling Eponymous Cowherd.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Obvious troll is obvious troll, and it's Jake, shock.

3. Stretch

Should have bought Hybris

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
      Coat

Hubris is close enough

They bought Oracle...

4. Eradicate all BB entrants

I wonder if another service .....

...... had the temerity to breathe near one of the Oracle listeners ports.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It doesn't matter

Sure, if this was ebay.com we'd have something to worry about. But it's Myer guys. No one was buying online with them anyhow. They couldn't have bought this worldwide coverage!

6. Steve Foster
    Facepalm

CV Writing...

"whoever designed and tended the myer.com.au disaster recovery plan is about to revise their curriculum vitae."

Whoever chose to implement a site upgrade/change just ahead of a known high utilisation phase is also likely to need to do that.

1. Tom 13

Re: CV Writing...

I re-read the article just to be sure. They don't mention it being upgraded right before the big sales season. More likely the switch was made during an expected slow time this year and has been functioning fine ever since. They implemented some sort of automated expansion function and ran the standard tests which it passed. And since everything has been smooth nobody was expecting problems during the actual stress of holiday buying. Except the standard tests didn't actually tickle the flaw in the setup while the real traffic flow did. And if they implemented this back in February of 2013, everyone involved is probably scratching their heads trying to remember WTF they were thinking when they mapped out the plan.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: CV Writing...

@Tom13, plausible. Seen that happen with a big system which had websphere in it. Passed tests, crashed on the day.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They use WebSphere??

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .... Ha ha ha ha .... Ha ha ha!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They use WebSphere??

you mean anything that implements java ?

8. Anonymous Crowbar

Websphere is a joke. The amount of pain using the IBM site itself is nonsense. Gateway errors, Page display errors, no errors, no loads etc.

I hate when I have to go to IBM looking for APARs, or even just information..... :(

9. Steady Eddy

IBM Websphere

Was what Comet used. And look where that got them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: IBM Websphere

Comet who? Other companies like David Jones (Myer's competitor), ING, a lot of banks are using Websphere aok.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like