back to article IT bankrolls all-India ambulance service

An IT industry backed non-profit is rolling out an ambulance service across India, giving the vast continent a single emergency number for the first time. The Emergency Management and Research Institute (EMRI), which has been bankrolled by the family of Satyam chairman Ramalinga Raju since 2005, has been building up the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars Silver badge

Flying Doctors .... Eternal Path Syle

Bravo, India. We are humbled by your Vision and ITs Forthrightness of Purpose.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds great

Can you imagine what some 1st world charity's implementation of this would be like?

Local solutions to local issues.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

UK IT ....

Amazing what you can do with a real IT industry

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

This shows what a corporation SHOULD be like!

Can you imagine a western BANK doing something like this?! No adverts, no "days out to a local shelter to laugh at the poor unfortunates", no champagne lunches while pretending to care about kids with shingles, just money and effort given to a problem, not to make money from it but to actually HELP the country that they are making a profit from.

Maybe the PFI muppets in this country could learn a lesson from it!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Sounds Great

You are spot on regarding local solutions to local problems.

For example, the Australian flying doctor service began in 1928 using a fabric-covered De Havilland model DH50 aircraft on-loan from the Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service (now known as Qantas). In 1930 the service went national and became known as the Aerial Medical Service. It became the Flying Doctor Service in 1942 and received its Royal moniker in 1955.

Initially communication relied on a two-way pedal radio which did not require batteries, and transmitted information by Morse code. By the mid 1930s voice communication was possible, giving rise to a thriving social network in the outback. This led to the establishment in 1951 of ' School of the Air', which used the RFDS radio network to link children in remote areas to teachers.

This all originated locally, without the involvement of government committees, or the publication of white papers.

6. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Magic Circle Sourcing ......Tata for Now ......More Anon.

"Amazing what you can do with a real IT industry" .... UK IT .... By Anonymous Coward Posted Wednesday 23rd April 2008 09:05 GMT

I wonder if IT can be InSourced, AC, to make AIdDirect Impact Flow of Enlightened and Enlightening Source? Is there any worthy White Knight Errant/Business Angel from the St George's Dragon's Den to Joust the AIRWaves and Create a Venerable and Veritable Tempest Storm in the Cloud to Clear the Way for the Sun and ITs Rising Houses....... Sweet Perfumed Gardens ...... for RockIT Chips into FlowurPower2.

Which would be, but just One Tangent in which to Spin the Best of Beta Tales/Entangled and Entangling Strings/Energised and Engaging Threads.

A Question for/from/to aman who can, Mr Caan? :-)

Now that is a Novel Tangent Registered for all to See? And a QuITe Perfect BetaTest for Quantum Communications' Semantic Subliminal Channels ...... those one with unwritten Code/CodeXXXX.

7. Sean Purdy

Waste

"as a public-private partnership, it had a tighter focus on waste and expenditure than public organisations"

If only that were the case in .uk

PS wonder why they didn't use 112

8. M7S

@vishal vashisht

I think what is reported here is a great idea, but to be fair, my UK employer is a bank subsidiary, and when times were good paid for most of an ambulance for a UK charity, one for which I am a volunteer, greatly helping our work where the NHS cover (particularly doctors able to attend serious accidents, which my wife does as a freebie) is very poor i.e. outside London. That said, times are hard now and if any nice bank or IT firm wishes to help replace some of our worn out kit (medical or IT) or vehicles (sponsorship opportunities available), post a message here and I'll be in touch. The "Vulture" ambulance perhaps?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

@amanfrommars

Yes quite, however as we no longer sell sevices, engineering or houses to each other, then suggest we get finance from mars?

10. amanfromMars Silver badge

Way Off Shore, Safe Havens..... Equity Seventh Heavens for the Astute NEUKlearer Investor.

"Yes quite, however as we no longer sell sevices, engineering or houses to each other, then suggest we get finance from mars?" ........ where a most novel arrangement would be Offered, AC. Pay As you Go .... with Full Money Back Bank Guarantee, should you wish to Swap Portfolio Interests/Satellite Pilots.

SuperSubAtomic ....the Sensitive Yin to Primitive Sub-Prime Yang.

11. Steven Hunter
    Joke

Negative Connotations?

"escapes some of the negative connotations of the US's 911 emergency number."

Look, William Shatner isn't *that* bad an actor. Besides, he's Canadian anyway.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Phew!

I took one look at the title and thought all our ambulance service are belong to India. That would be one helluva outsource!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Outsouce our ambulance

nahy outsource the managers, they ar the problem, also our greedy MP's and Eurocrats whilst were at it. Democracy at its best, by the people for the people :)

14. Hrishikesh
    Coat

@Waste

Unfortunately, a lot of the Indian IT companies are singularly focussed on the US market (not to mention that any hollywood movies would not reference 112, possibly even in a european setting!) so I doubt most Indians know what 112 is (except a secret handset unlock code on our mobes, with calls being blackholed).

Traditionally, we have used 100/101/102 for Police/Fire/Ambulance services, but I can never remember which is for which, so a unified number is certainly a good thing.

Mine's the one with the wig, the fake beard and a chain of 108 Rudrakshas hidden in the inner pocket

15. Demian Phillips
    Happy

Number is significant.

108 is an auspicious number. Number of beads for prayer for one.

This topic is closed for new posts.