back to article Former HTC staffers charged with fraud, leaking company secrets

Five former HTC employees, including one former executive, have been charged in a Taiwanese court with leaking corporate secrets, accepting illegal kickbacks, and falsifying expenses. According to the Wall Street Journal, Thomas Chien, formerly VP of product design at HTC, has been charged with leaking details of a future …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. asdf

Sense is garbage

Wow they actually think Sense is valuable intellectual property? Granted version 4 is the last I used but none of the versions stayed on my HTC phone for a whole day. When the reference vanilla AOSP version totally destroys your laggy eye candy crap implementation then you fail. Still they will convince some tech stupid judge how it cost them billions probably.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sense is garbage

What's touchwiz then?

HTC Sense is very lightweight now. Samsung's Touchwiz is the laggy, bloated crap now.

The real problem is why all of this crap exists in the first place.

It's got nothing to do with if it is valuable or not. If you worked at a company and found that your work had been sent to other companies illegally you would be pretty pissed off.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>If you worked at a company and found that your work had been sent to other companies illegally you would be pretty pissed off.

No as messed up as my current company is I would be grateful yet more code the company produced isn't being thrown away due to petty inter department jealousy and short sided clueless management having no idea what they need.

2. Sampler

Each to their own, I liked how Sense improved the windows mobile experience and still enjoy it on android with none of this lag you speak of, but then I've always gone for the flagship models (Prophet, Kaiser, Rhodium, Desire, Desire Z and now a OneX). It's actually made me resistant to purchasing a phone from another provider, especially when seeing stock android on my partners Nexus4, even though it's time to pick one up - maybe I'll wait for the new model mentioned in the article.

One thing I do like is the Galaxy S4 Active and Experia Z1 are both waterproof, a feature I hope HTC will 'innovate' into their next model, I'm getting the Sony for a work phone so we'll see how living without Sense UI goes along..

2. Jean Le PHARMACIEN

Schadenfreude for Senso?

(if you dont get it- look it up - Microsoft thrown in for good measure)

3. Don Jefe

Hey, you there, Mr. Analyst

You gotta keep my name out of this, but it's big, really big and wanted you to get the scoop. Here is is: You know HTC, the mobile phone hardware guys? Yeah, so they're in a lot of financial trouble. They had a nice thing going as a repair service provided, big bucks, way bigger margins than in new hardware, but they wanted to see their name in lights. So they started making their own phones running Android, but they had absolutely no idea what they were doing! Can you believe that? They couldn't even start their new operations successfully, fell flat on their faces.

Yeah, it gets worse. Their implementation of hardware and software was horrendous. Highest 3-day return rate in Verizon & AT&T history. And they couldn't even fix their own equipment! They forgot how to repair things. Their repairs were done by a 3rd party! They outsourced their core competency!

Anyway, the key guys already bailed, but a lot of people are going to catch hell. They've already targeted a few people who had no place to go and couldn't leave. Yeah, they're going to charge them with bribery and fraudulent expense claims! Can you believe that? It's about $1M and they're blaming these guys for problems. Ha! They could have saved a lot of money by just giving everybody in the company $1M cash, each, and going home. HTC is so broken $1B wouldn't help them.

Now they're pointing fingers, if you've got any interest in that company get out now. That horse is dead.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HTC needs to try something different. With Samsugn the dominant Android player and even they want to expand out of it with Tizen. HTC should be looking at selling phones with an OS choice. Android is free as is Firefox OS and Sailfish OS. There is no reason why HTC could not take a single phone and offer all three OS's on it or even allow the consumer to pick. All can run on the same hardware, so giving the consumer a choice can only increase their sales.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LOL

"HTC should be looking at selling phones with an OS choice. Android is free as is Firefox OS and Sailfish OS. There is no reason why HTC could not take a single phone and offer all three OS's on it"

That's a joke, right? They can't even support one OS properly on the phones they already offer: See the comments on http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/2/2013/12/27/htc_android_update_infographic/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: LOL

I see that you don't have an open mind or a clue. With Jolla not having a hardware partner and they are producing their own phones in the interim, this would be a win-win for both. HTC could let Jolla handle the OS and customizations and HTC would handle the hardware aspect of it. The issue Jolla has is getting the components; being a small player they can't get the latest and greatest and with low volume, thye can't get the price breaks.

Firefox could be willing just like Jolla is.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: LOL

What an interesting definition: "open mind" = "anyone who agrees with me", although I suspect the irony of that will escape you.

HTC are in trouble as it is and the last thing they are going to want to do is to increase their cost base. They obviously also care about having their own "secret sauce" otherwise they wouldn't have bothered doing the Sense UI. Your suggestion flies in the face of those things and would benefit Jolla (a potential HTC competitor) greatly whilst providing only dis-benefit in return to HTC. Dream on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like