back to article PS3 to get movie downloads this summer?

The web’s currently rife with speculation that Sony might launch a PlayStation 3 movie downloads service this summer. According to a story by the LA Times, unnamed film studio executives have alleged that Sony’s currently negotiating licensing deal to get the rights to distribute movies over the net to the PS3. Peter Dille, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Corin
    Alert

UK ISP bandwidth...

I can see where this will go, most of the UK ISPs will start bricking it due to their lack of investment in bandwidth, just like with the iPlayer.

This is the time they've been dreading, the introduction of something legit, mass-market, legal and bandwidth intensive; just what they don't want their UNLIMITED!* subscribers to start using.

2. Neil Docherty

It'll be interesting...

As Corin says, the unlimited plans are about to get one hell of a legal hammering. It won't be as bad if Sony builds in scheduling to their downloading so you can schedule stuff to download overnight and ideally have the PS3 turn itself off (and even on) to save on the power (both green and money reasons).

I hope they get the iPlayer properly integrated as well as the workaround method, whilst useful, isn't exactly ideal.

3. Stephen

Australian Bandwidth worse

Though here our ISPs will be rubbing their hands together with glee - they charge ridiculous sums for extra capacity and usually cap DSL accounts at 20GB a month.

We've got a high adoption rate of next gen consoles crap and expensive infrastructure support.

4. Lickass McClippers
    Boffin

Interesting indeed...

...as per, bandwidth and ISPs issue. Glad I shifted to an unlimited package fairly recently. Will be interesting to see what format/size/etc these films come in...

5. paul

No no no

I slated the xbox live service a month or so ago for not going blu ray and thinking video downloads will take its place.

For Full HD with high bit rates for sound and video - the internet cannot deliver at the current time or in the near future at an acceptable rate.

I stand by those comments

6. jai

time...

...to start working on upgrading my internal 60gb to a reasonable sized HD then

7. bobbles31
    Coat

So much for Bluray then.

Surely this puts it in direct competition with their Blu Ray business?

If HD-DVD could have held on just that little bit longer then all these PS3's would have a really low attachment to Blu Ray movie titles.

8. Joe K
    Happy

As for the present....

....tomorrow the COD4 map pack is available ahead of schedule, then on Friday we have "Play against Infinity Ward" day, then all weekend we have double XP.

And at the same time, with luck, we'll also have the free Metal Gear Online beta working, which will get us through to GTA4 Tuesday.

What a week to be a gamer.

9. Ian

@ Lickass McClippers

"...as per, bandwidth and ISPs issue. Glad I shifted to an unlimited package fairly recently. Will be interesting to see what format/size/etc these films come in..."

Hah. Hahahaha. Ahahaha. Oh god that was good, "unlimited" in the UK, good luck with that mate ;)

10. hans
    Thumb Up

Woo Hoo

Quote 'tomorrow the COD4 map pack is available ahead of schedule, then on Friday we have "Play against Infinity Ward" day, then all weekend we have double XP'

I feel...sick....cough....must get ....joypad....

11. Mark Ashworth
    Thumb Up

@ Joe K

Your right, what a week for the PS3 gamer... will see you online

12. Lickass McClippers
    Boffin

@ Ian

Why so funny? My download limit is errr ... unlimited ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like