back to article BEASTED: Apple fined $666k in Taiwan for iPhone price meddling

Colossal shiny-gadget empire Apple has copped a festive shoeing from Taiwanese regulators, receiving a T$20 million (US$666,700) fine for attempting to the fix prices that could be charged for its iPhones sold on the island. The Taiwanese Fair Trade commission told media that Apple Asia, Cupertino's regional tentacle, was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Only me!
    Gimp

Music?

Well stone the crows.....is this a shock to anyone that Apple control pricing of ALL their products?

Anyone for a cheap music download?

Gimp icon, because that's the way Apple like their suppliers and customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Music?

Not just Apple, a lot of companies do. MAP pricing, that sort of thing. That's typically used by manufacturers of high end stuff, for example AV components, so the shops that sell their gear won't get undercut by a discount reseller on the internet (i.e. to avoid "showrooming")

What I don't get is why Apple should care in this case. Unless they have some sort of deal with the carriers where they pay Apple x% of the sale price, Apple gets the same price for each phone whether the Taiwan carriers are charging full retail or selling them for 20% off hoping to sign people up for contracts. Is there anyone selling iPhones in Taiwan other than the carriers and Apple itself? Why should Apple care if the Apple Store pricing is undercut? A slightly lower price will result in higher sales and they come out ahead!

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

The seventh iSeal

" copped a festive shoeing ... US$666,700 "

Clearly a "beastly" shoeing, but then I heard that "6" is a lucky number in asian lands?

Well, our evangelicals will probably looking through Revelation NOW, looking for signs that Jobs is somehow connected to the Apocalypse of St John. Well done, Taiwan. Occupy Xtians!

1. Eddy Ito

Re: The seventh iSeal

It's a good thing it wasn't in Hong Kong because in Cantonese it could go either way.

2. Captain DaFt

Taiwan Judiciary has a good memory, and an ironic sense of humor.

The original Apple went on sale in July 1976 at a price of US$666.66

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes I'm sure they calculated the 20,000,000 new Taiwan dollars fine based on its conversion rate to US currency...

3. deadlockvictim

The size of the fine

The size of the fine, btw, was picked because Steve Wozniak liked the look of all of the 6's together.

4. Mtech25
    Devil

Hold on a second

Isn't the new number of the beast is now 616? Maybe he had to swap providers and couldn't be bothered to keep the old number.

5. Stevie

Bah!

Not sure of the relevance (or usefulness) of the abbreviated-to-death Chinese history lesson, nor of the value of comparing Taiwanese markets to those on the Red Planet-sorry-mainland, especially as the article took that comparison nowhere.

Perhaps my copy is missing a page?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like