back to article Self-destructing selfies? Not so fast! Snapchat now offers one-time Replay

Stealthy selfie service Snapchat has added a new feature to its mobile apps that makes it possible for users to hang onto messages for longer than the senders may have intended. Dubbed "Replay," the feature added to Snapchat 6.1.0 for Android and iOS allows users to view a Snapchat message, image, or video a second time before …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The classic blunders

Never fight a land war in Asia

Never trust an online service provider with your privacy

1. Super Fast Jellyfish

Re: The classic blunders

Don't you mean, don't trust any free online service provider?

TANSTAFL

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Sure because you can trust expensive ones like EMC (owners of RSA) or IBM (whoops we are banned in China for spying on our customers) ?

2. Neoc

I think you'll find it's TANSTAAFL:

There

Ain't

No

Such

Thing

As

A

Free

Lunch.

Grok?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was sent a selfie

It was a picture of a really large hairy arse with something written on it in. I do not want to see that again, especially as it was a wrong number.

2. ewozza
    Megaphone

I created TxtGone - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/txtgone/id722557310 - for a client, it allows you to send selfies which only last a few seconds before self destructing. No replay feature in TxtGone :-).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

C'mon, don't down vote this shameless post.

It has 5* rating from a whole 5 users, it has a privacy policy on Facebook (oh the irony), and the"About" section makes no mention of the product he is trying to promote, but it does mention other products you can't seem to get details on from the website.

Still, at least he tried. Bless.

3. Old Handle

Wow! Very Fail! Such undesirable!

Not that there wasn't already plenty wrong with snapchat, but this is an absolutely horrible idea.

First of all, this means the pictures have to be stored even after they're viewed, so there's probably some fairly simple way to recover them. Second, even without doing anything that could loosely be termed hacking, there's nothing stopping someone from using the replay feature to show a private picture to a third party.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow! Very Fail! Such undesirable!

Plug your phone into your PC and recover the data. Simple.

2. auburnman

Or having a screengrab app up and running in the background ready for the second viewing.

3. Cubical Drone

I have said it before and will say it again, the difference between something on the internet and a tattoo is that no matter how expensive and painful, at least a tattoo can be removed.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    FAIL

One replay per day

Just enough for someone to be 'inspired' enough after the first view to Google how to get round Snapchat's security before viewing the photo a second time and getting round it.

5. Interrobang

A "holiday present" for who?

So it's a feature which can only be used once a day, you say? How long until a paid-for option appears for extra "replays"? Yeah, Spiegel's just a fun, cool hipster dude, not looking to do a Zuckerberg at all, nosiree...

6. John Tserkezis

"Stealthy selfie service Snapchat has added a new feature to its mobile apps that makes it possible for users to hang onto messages for longer than the senders may have intended."

Yeah, it's called facebook, twitter, flickr, dropshots, photobucket, tinypic and freaking hundreds more. Not only do they do a better job (they keep photos indefitely vs a day) they've ALL been doing it for much longer.

Like most of the other comments, here, this is such a massive fail, they're no longer offering a specific service that others' don't, rather than a substandard service that others have pretty much nailed.

7. Vociferous

For the longest time I didn't understand the appeal of Snapchat...

I couldn't understand why anyone would want self-destructing photos?

Yeah, in hindsight I can't believe how naive I was.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like