back to article The Pirate Bay changes domain again … TWICE!

The Pirate Bay's ongoing attempts to find safe harbour continue, with the torrent-tracker site hopping to another domain twice in a week. Last week, the site tied up in the .PE domain administered by Peru. Locals seem not to have offered it a warm welcome as it soon set sail for a .GY address in Guyana. But the Caribbean …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Boyce
    Pirate

Metaphor

Perhaps "...continue its game of legal thar-she-blows." ?

1. jai

Re: Metaphor

game of legal battleships?

2. auburnman
      Facepalm

Re: Metaphor

Continue it's search for a safe Harbour. Not had your coffee yet?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Safe Harbour has already been used...

...earlier in the piece.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Safe Harbour has already been used...

"legal game of sub hunt"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're in an interesting battle...

... which seems a little pointless.

They must be able to work out that setting up a private server (or two) to provide a private DNS service, running a TLD of their own choosing, and having their users add it to their DNS server list would kill any measures that could be taken to block them.

So what is the point of the pissing contest they seem to be deliberately engaging in?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They're in an interesting battle...

i think you put a little too much faith in TPB's users. surely any tech-savvy freetard has already found alternate means of getting torrents that isn't anywhere near as close to the public eye. I imagine anyone still using TPB either wouldn't know how to mess about with their DNS lists, or wouldn't put the effort in to do it on a regular basis

2. Killraven

Perhaps it's just the entertainment value?

3. jubtastic1

Except that would require distributing an easily blocked IP address, and avoiding that scenerio is the reason we have this domain dance.

Basically, they have to finish their p2p browser before they run out of domains.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Except that would require distributing an easily blocked IP address

I want to see the court ruling for blocking a server which provides no services other than DNS, in fact I want to be present for the court case. I really, really want to see a barister stand up and make that case.

I bet a few DNS service providers would want to be present for it as well...

Just how far do you think they can get away with breaking the internet before big tech starts standing up and saying "hang on a minute..."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No problem

Google always finds them.

Oh no!

Maybe Google is IN ON IT TOO!!

4. Tank boy
    Pirate

Perhaps they should get a domain in Somalia, they already have a lot of pirates.

1. Phil W

It would seem someone has already registered both piratebay.so and thepiratebay.so.

piratebay.so has whois info pointing to a holding company in Sweden....

5. Sanctimonious Prick

It's A Little Bit Scary

Don't ya think? I find myself wondering if I'm accessing the real site or not, with all these changes.

6. Ketlan
    Devil

Row, row, row the boat... etc

"Yes it would have been nice to keep the lame aquatic metaphors going, but we couldn't think of one that worked."

What a shame. I was enjoying that. :-)

7. frank ly

The life aquatic

" Briefly adrift, the site resurfaced ..."

You could have got some submarine references in there too.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: The life aquatic

You could have got some submarine references in there too.

I think they did, only they ... er ... went under your head.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Adam Foxton

That's something completely different

And the reason I can never go back to sea-world.

9. Stretch

club-a-seal

10. Tom 7

Cant they pull a reverse Torrent

host it everywhere and nowhere at the same time - like most large companies help desks?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do they even need to do this?

If they are doing something illegal, can't they be shut down?

If they are not, then leave them alone!

If they can host anywhere in the world, surely that shows that the law might be wrong,

any REAL crime is a crime everywhere in the world usually... I.E. Murder, Theft, Arson, Rape (Well maybe that last one is a grey area in some countries)

They are letting people download stuff for free, Potentially harming the sales of things....

But that is the key word, potentially.... How many people who download would have brought if they couldn't download?

When it comes to TV, I bet its in the fractions of a %, and those that would probably still do when its available on DVD/BluRay.

When it comes to Movies, I bet its even less... I am sure many download films they would never have brought, but would watch if it was on TV.

If the media moguls started making media available in the formats we want, then maybe, just maybe they can reduce piracy...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If they can host anywhere in the world, surely that shows that the law might be wrong,"

Not really, all the "REAL" crimes you talked about - you can still commit them anywhere in the world too.

2. Vociferous

> If they are doing something illegal, can't they be shut down? If they are not, then leave them alone!

They have some of the most thuggish and best funded lobby groups after them. RIAA & company have hundreds of millions of dollars and dozens of tame politicians to spend on hunting them down and pressuring any country which harbors them. Imagine having the Church of Scientology trying to ruin you, with the full support of the US government -- that's pretty much the situation TPB is in.

Personally I don't see how it could possibly be illegal to do what TPB does, but the legal systems in half a dozen countries, including their own Sweden, vehemently disagrees. Sweden slapped TPB's founders with longer jailtime than you in Sweden get for assault, and fines 400 times higher than Sweden on average awards victims of aggravated rape, so clearly TPB is guilty of that most heinous of crimes: annoying well-funded and well-connected lobbying groups such as the RIAA.

1. Bernard M. Orwell

What I don't entirely get is why the DMCA doesn't protect TPB in the same way it does for Google et al.

Under Title II of the DMCA act (Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act) OSPs/ISPs are rendered immune from prosecution for content uploaded or distributed by the providers users. It's this specific clause that allows services like YouTube and Google to continue to link to copyright material and not be prosecuted for doing so.

What is it that TPB is doing differently (and wrongly) that causes them to be an exemption to this exemption?

[Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act#Title_II:_Online_Copyright_Infringement_Liability_Limitation_Act]

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's a question of intent. Delivering iffy content isn't the main business of Google or YouTube. Calling themselves 'The Pirate Bay' may have been a self-scuppering move now that things have turned out like this.

1. Hud Dunlap
            Big Brother

@molety. How do you think you tube got started?

Youtube is just as bad as any of the pirate sites. It really annoys me to see pirated copies on youtube with a commercial in front.

My understanding is Youtube is mis-using the Fair Use Doctrine. The Talking Heads on TV and Radio ( and I don't mean the group) use copyrighted items all of the time it is legal because they are making commentary on it. Notice YouTube allows comments.

Plus Google is a big campaign contributor. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

2. SkeithTOD

Here's sane idea....

making lobbying a federal crime, if you destroy the heart and soul of the treat then they have no chance of recovery, its exactly what they are trying to do to TPB.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advertising revenue

The sale of DVDs pales into insignificance when you look at the lost advertising revenues.

And pay TV subs...

I've watched the complete Walking Dead.

No ads

No subs

I'm naughty.

1. Wize

Re: Advertising revenue

And watch on the device of your own choice without having to sit through the piracy warnings or trailers you are forced to watch on the DVD copy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yet this seemingly simple concept seems to just walk on by...It is quite clearly the cock wombles in charge of "Music megahyperglobalcorp.inc" whom are so far back in the technological closet that they may as well be in fucking Narnia....

2. Sanctimonious Prick

Ditto for Stargate SG1. I wouldn't have bought the DVDs, but I might have watched most of it on the teevee - though I might have missed an episode here and there due to availability. Downloading it using P2P (not TPB) seemed a better choice.

I will attempt to buy Breaking Bad on DVD, if the price is right :D

13. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Coat

Set sail for Argentina

.Ar!

14. KLane

Damn the torpedoes,...

Full steam ahead! (To the next hosting country).

15. Cool Hand Luke
    Pirate

Ever heard of Netflix?

The, I can watch with ads is no excuse to pirate TV shows.

All of the ones mentioned above are readily available via Netflix or Love Film.

I managed to watch Breaking bad from start to finish in two months via netflix, so cost to me was a months sub. You could get through it all during the free trial should you not have anything else to do.

This isn't a "ooh you naughty pirates" rant as I do the odd download myself now and again, but really stop trying to make excuses and just admit you are a freeloading pirate who is too tight to spend your own money on anything.

1. User4574
      FAIL

Re: Ever heard of Netflix?

Ever heard of "The content is not available in your region" ?

When there is near-universal availability of content on Netflix, Google Play, iTunes et al, then I would agree that there are no excuses.

16. User4574
    Paris Hilton

Very Simple

How about they try competing instead of bullying, make the stuff available to people that want it.

Not a problem in the US as you have large amounts of content* available to you on DVD/BluRay from more than one retail source, you have a good selection available to stream and you have it all available on the top-selling smartphone and tablet devices too from either Android or Apple country.

As an American, the inconvenience to you lies in the technical restrictions that lock you to specific ecosystems: Want to play that movie you bought on iTunes on an Android tablet? Tough, buy it again**. Want to copy your paid-for BluRay on your Apple iPad? Tough, buy it again.**

A bit of a problem in parts of Europe*** and other countries**** where the selections available are stunted, releases of new material delayed by months, streaming services are limited or non-existent, online bazaars for your tablet or smartphone are non-existent and then what content is available is more expensive than the same content in other locations. There is a greater incentive to pirate when the content you want is not available in your area for arbitrary reasons or is available at a ridiculous price in a format you have to break to use in the way you want (e.g. DVD -> Tablet).

If they cut the region-restriction bollocks: make content available to stream, to buy digitally and physically regardless of your device choice and make the pricing reasonable there would be less incentive for people to seek out alternative supply paths.

* There might actually be non-US originated content of interest but there is still more available to enjoy in the land of the free.

** There may be workarounds but they are technically illegal.

*** Supposed to be a single market but yet we live in a reality where a BluRay can come out everywhere at once but digital and streaming versions are released in some areas and not in others.

**** I feel bad for Australians that get routinely shafted.

Paris, because it's so simple even she understands.

17. The Crows Nest

The pirates must have somewhere to drop anchor, ever thought of (if tech allows ) anchor out the twelve mile zone literally, like the djs used to do with radio, go into international waters.

This topic is closed for new posts.