back to article Feuding fanbois in a flap over piracy haven in new iOS 7 jailbreak tool

The “evad3rs”, the crackers behind previous “jailbreaks” for Apple operating systems, have released software they say makes it possible to use an iOS 7-powered device with app stores other than Apple's. Available here and billed as “Compatible with all iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and iPad mini models running iOS 7.0 through 7.0.4 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fair?

"That's seen as unfair because the various actors see jailbreaking as a legitimate activity that deserves fair recompense. "

If you go and live as a pirate you can't complain about a lack of law and order.

Pirates aren't known for the generosity :o

1. ThomH

Re: Fair?

Jailbreaking isn't piracy because it doesn't involve distributing something for free that the publishers desire to be reimbursed for.

Jailbreaking is also legal in most places. It's even explicitly legal in the USA thanks to an exemption to the DMCA — presumably because there's no MPAA/RIAA-style body opposed to it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sorry, but thats utter tripe. Jailbreaking is only legal under the DMCA if it's used as a means of carrier unlock. It just so happens that you need to jailbreak to remove the carrier lock, Jailbreaking also unlocks piracy as a side effect.

What that means that using Cydia ISN'T covered unt he DMCA clause, nor is anything else that 99.99999999999% of jailbroken iPhones are used for.

The reality is, Jailbreaking is seen as a way of getting pirated sofware/malware/viruses. Let's not pretend it's any different.

1. Noragretz

Obviously you have never jailbroken your phone, and are completely unaware of what jailbreaking is. Imagine if your Microsoft Windows computer only allowed you to install Microsoft approved software. But there is another program you really like. But unfortunately Microsoft doesn't like that program because it also changes the appearance of their start menu icon. So they block that application from approval and won't enable the program to be used on your computer.

Is that Fair?? You own the computer, you should be able to install what ever dang software you like. If the computer messes up, or the software causes a security breach... then I say it's not Microsoft's problem, its yours.

This is where Apple falls short.... They absolutely won't allow unapproved apps on your phone. There are tons of apps that are available. They are original pieces of work developed and unapproved by Apple, not pirated apps.

Is it Fair that Apple continues to copy the most installed jailbreak apps and adds them into the latest operating system without giving full credit to the original developer?

Many apps in the Cydia store have to be paid for also. They just change the way the original operating system operates. Something Apple can't stand for.

I always jailbreak my phone, I love having text to speech when I drive in my car. I love having my phone automatically go into silent mode as soon as it connects to the wifi at my work, and go into a normal sound mode when I leave my work. I love being able to set my phone to send automatic texts to my banks everyday and get my current balance (read to me out loud) while I'm driving down the road to work in the morning. Oh and I love the cursive text font with little hearts on every page of my phone. And Dammit... I want 5 icons in my dock not 4!

Please tell me which apps these are pirated from? And Please tell me how these apps are stealing from someone, considering I PAID for all those tweaks and the original developer received the payment directly.

Yes jailbreaking does open up ways to get pirated app store apps. But the average user doesn't do that or know how to do that. And the ones that do are Losers! And yes the Evaders and other jailbreak devs are trying to block out those ways to pirate apps.

I hope I have at least educated you a tiny bit about what Jailbreaking is.

1. Scorchio!!
            Thumb Up

Thank you for expressing my thoughts so fully and accurately for me. You have outlined some of the thinking behind my irrevocable decision to not ever buy the fanoi toi.

2. wbaw

So, why do you buy such a locked phone & keep funding Apple to make them more locked?

1. Noragretz

Because above all else... It just works! The easiest to use operating system, and much less buggy than the competition. Universal integration with a broader range of products.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Stupid enough?

Is anyone stupid enough to jailbreak iOS 7 and then download apps from a Chinese website?

1. Station Grey

Re: Stupid enough?

The Chinese perhaps?

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Jailbreak is the act of making a device you own usable any way you want, just like a computer.

To 'jailbreak' my Android phone for example, I go to Settings > Security > Unknown sources and check the tickbox. This allows me to install the F-Droid and Amazon app stores. F-Droid is an open source app repository, Amazon offers a different free app every day.

What's so bad about it?

1. ukgnome

@ Dan 55

That is not jailbreaking, that is allowing apps from outside Play

there is a whole host of additional features that jailbreaking a phone can give you access to.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: @ Dan 55

Like what?

You might be confusing that with rooting.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"There post also describes a dispute"

Their seams too bee a typo hear.

1. xyz Silver badge

Re: "There post also describes a dispute"

Deer Sirs...

They're not spelling mistakes. Crap english is how you tell it's malware. As a non Apple-teeny, this all just feels like handbags at dawn stuff.

Warm appreciations

etc

2. Steve Renouf

down't yoo meen a tiepow?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"down't yoo meen a tiepow?"

I thought that was the capital of Taiwan.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I looked beyond the broken walls of my beautiful garden, and all I saw was rust and decay"

1. Scorchio!!

My search failed, so please enlighten me; Blake?

4. Vociferous

Ethical

> Jailbreaking types feel it is ethical to make it possible to use iOS devices outside of Apple's walled garden

Of course it's ethical. How could it possibly not be ethical to decide where you want to legally buy your own software for your own device? Has Apple propaganda really managed to brainwash people into thinking that freedom and choice is unethical?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Ethical

Hush!

2. wbaw

Re: Ethical

It's unethical because you could choose to buy a different phone that could be customised without jailbreaking. By buying Apple you're giving them the money & sales figures to justify locking it down. Eventually they'll do it right & you wont be able to jailbreak your new iphone.

I don't see any problem if you were given your iphone or stole it.

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Coat

What!

access a local alternative app store called Taig

Hosted in Ireland?

6. Alan Denman

No fuss.

IOS users have, on the whole, become very institutionalised, so I doubt there will be much fuss.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No fuss.

"IOS users have, on the whole, become very institutionalised, so I doubt there will be much fuss."

When you think about all the landfill Android gash being touted in China (along with some decent stuff), and the malware infested cess pits of third party app stores out there, it seems distinctly possible that rather than hoping to break out of the the walled garden, many Chinese customers cannot wait to get inside and hear the clang as the gate shuts firmly behind them.

That's not being institutionalised, it's a very valid response to having your Android UX ruined by malware, crummy hardware, crummy software, or crummy accessories. We all know, after all, what can happen when you don't use an authentic Apple charger.

2. Fatman
      Joke

Re: No fuss.

You have an error in your statement.

A better worded one is shown below:

IOS users have, on the whole, become very need to be institutionalised, so I doubt there will be much fuss.

There!!!

FTFY!

7. Zot

I was with you until 'Apple charger'

I really don't blame for that, it's a good idea, as melting your face on a lithium melt down from some dodgy charger would be last thing I would want for my lawyers, I mean, customers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like