Happy Solstice, all :-)

This topic was created by jake .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Happy Solstice, all :-)

Or Merry Christmas, if you prefer. Yes, today (Solstice) is the Day that the Councils of Nicaea intended to to be celebrated as the birthdate of "Jesus"[0], thus bringing the "pagans" into the fold[1]. December 25th is a(nother) figment of the deluded's imagination.

[0] If there actually was a "Jesus", he was probably born in April or May[2], when the Romans demanded taxes be payed in the location of birth.

[1] Anyone who can't see sun-worshiper symbolism in christian art is deluded.

[2] Traveling on foot in Palestine[3], even today, can be hazardous at this time of year[4].

[3] The so-called "State of Israel" is an invention of the PTB during the post-WWII years[5].

[4] Am I the only one who giggles when believers depict a newborn surviving a snowy night in an uninsulated, unheated barn?

[5] Note I'm not taking sides ... All parties in the mid-east conflict(s) are at fault.

1. Corinne
      Happy

Re: Happy Solstice, all :-)

I missed the Solstice on here, but happy Yuletide in general to you Jake.

One version I heard about why the date of the 25th ended up being used rather than the actual solstice is that it takes approximately 3-4 days to be absolutely sure the sun is rising earlier each morning (allowing for things like cloud cover etc.).

I'm feeling a bit morning after-ish right now, but could happily go on for ages about just how many aspects of Christian symbolism are borrowed from other religions - Easter is even more fun than Christmas, with even the name having pagan origins :)

1. Swarthy

The thing that makes me laugh, every year, is the hard-line Christian types we have in the states protesting Halloween as "pagan" or "satanic"; when, in fact, it is the only truly Christian holiday remaining in the calendar. St. Valentines day doesn't count, having been co-opted by Hallmark many years ago. (and it's not a proper holiday if you have to go to work on it)

1. Corinne

Oooh yes Swarthy, even the name of that holiday is Christian - from All Hallows Eve i.e. the day before All Saints Day.

One of my favourite laughs is when devout Christians use a 5 pointed star or fairy (as opposed to angel) on the top of their tree and really don't see the irony while they denounce pagans.

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge
        Joke

Corinne,

allowing for things like cloud cover

Then we can be glad it wasn't decided in the UK. Christmas would be in April or May :)

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Am I the only one who giggles when believers depict a newborn surviving a snowy night in an uninsulated, unheated barn

jake, you're definitely not the only one. Although, had it been this year, the newborn would freeze its bum off in an uninsulated barn. Then again, they (at least in rural Turkey) used to build their living space on top of the cowbarn because the cattle dispensed quite some heat.

2. Sokolik

The Solar Calendar is Wonderful

Happy Solstice to you, too, sir! The solar calendar provides a wonderful necessary rhythm to life. Too bad locked up in our autos and homes, few of us notice it much. However, when my primary transportation was a bicycle, the solar calendar was very noticeable. Living in the northern hemisphere, this day always brings to mind "Here Comes the Sun": we're now on our way back to its primary exposure. Thank you, George, for the great musical addition to this day.

3. jake Silver badge

Happy Solstice, All :-)

During the meanwhile, I need to take the dawgs out for a late night pee and/or poop ... and I'm absolutely certain the various other critters around here will be delivering presents for me to collect before morning, as usual.

We're still harvesting Peppers (Bell to Scorpion) here in Sonoma, and have a few Tomatoes ripening, despite the recent deluge (22 7/8ths inches in the last 5 weeks).

Ain't life wonderful? Looking forward to next year's solstice.

This topic is closed for new posts.