back to article Australia's new year tech headlines … for 2015!

Technology predictions are a dime a dozen at this time of year, because vendor-land stops even releasing press releases about version 6.3 of its products. With that news-making tactic abandoned, vendors and their PR armies move on to “predictions” offering searing insights. Security vendors point out that our hyper-connected …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another prediction

Some premises that were on the FTTP list will be getting wireless instead. Not really a prediction as such. This is what an NBN rep told our local council.

2. Sanctimonious Prick

Australia to Phase Out Digital TV

... as the whole country uses the Internet for all forms of media!

Now that'd be funny!

3. Thorne

How do you?

"Pressure to do so will come from the fibre-to-the-premises-or-nothing crowd, which may finally figure out that it needs to engage meaningfully and not just send in petitions."

How do you engage meaningfully with politicians? Bribes?

1. rwerkh

Re: How do you?

Yes good point.

The issue is nto fibre or nothing - It's Internet or next to no internet for many people.

Nothing that has been proposed looks like fixing the actual issues for the people with horribly slow internet.

I have engaged meaningfully about the actual consumer issues - the response was meaningless.

4. ggm

ggm@pobox.com

Draw a 250m circle around the Australian exchange and then count the customers who lie outside that distance.

Now draw a plausible FTTN deployment predicated on the 500m distance for the proprietary Alcatel Vectoring model, and draw the 250m circle again, and look at the customer count who is outside the V.fast distance.

Now count how many extra head-end cabinets with fans, and powerdrain you need to get the customers inside the 250m distance.

DOCSIS 3.1 has more chance. there are enough people close to the ribbon that can work. Its not zero capital investment, and it means re-regulating the layer-2 as a competitive entry platform because otherwise you just gave a shitload of money to rupert.

5. Gray Ham Bronze badge

In other news ...

Depsite an heroic effort, Vulture South's Solar-Powered Electric Earthbound Dirigible Overlander (SPEEDO) fails to complete the World Solar Challenge, after the brave playmonaut pilot is found to have melted in the desrt heat somewhere near the Tropic of Capricorn.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Joke

Re: In other news ...

It's a tight squeeze inside SPEEDO's cockpit.

2. Oengus
      Joke

Re: In other news ...

Playmonaut found melted in SPEEDO near Tropic of Capricorn identified as as Prime Minister Tony Abbott

6. Sanctimonious Prick

OH C'mon

I thought phasing out digital teevee would be a funny thing. Imagine, no more adverts. The media fuck-knobs never thought to use digital media as a mainstream distribution method that included little ad-lets. Let the fuck-knobs go broke. Let the people who understand what the people want, take their billion dollar jobs!!

7. Sanctimonious Prick

Rant! Rant! Rant!

DAmn I go off! Just can't help myself, really.

Alcohol. Damnit. Gf is gonna dump me coz I rave on about the Internet too much.

Back on topic...

Edward Snowden is found dead. Massive secret files about real alien, off-world intelligent life is released to all media agencies.

Hehe. Hehe. Hehe.

8. Urh
    FAIL

This is my prediction for May 2014

"NBN to be scrapped, sold off, in bid to end budget crisis"

Ever since Turnbull assumed the role of Comms minister, he has been sabotaging the NBN. Step 1 - sack the NBN board and fill it with cronies. Step 2 - deliberately fudge the numbers in that pathetic joke he called the Strategic Review (the review claims there are no irregularities with NBNCo's reporting, then proceeds to pull numbers out of its ARSE to make FTTP look bad from a financial perspective). Step 3 - propose a half-arsed alternative plan in order to keep up the appearance of giving a toss about the public. Step 4 - have aforementioned plan vetoed by Joe Hockey under the guise of being fiscally responsible. Step 5 - Sell off what little infrastructure has been built.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like