back to article Australia rebukes Apple for 'false or misleading representations'

Australia's Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has slapped Apple and extracted an “enforceable undertaking” from the company that will result in fines – or worse – if the company continues to ignore its own warranty and return polices. At issue are Apple's 12 month warranty and 14 day return policies, which weren't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. poopypants

It's a Christmas miracle!

I'm smiling!

1. Gannon (J.) Dick

Re: It's a Christmas miracle!

Coal in Siri's stocking, fursure.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

They didn't go far enough

They should have also done them for false advertising, as I doubt at least half of their "geniuses" have the required IQ to qualify for that title.

Although, you could almost say Apple will suffer enough, as those government brochures are truly horrendous to behold.

1. Tom 35

Re: They didn't go far enough

The cover looks like a not bad match for iOS7... rest is kind of bland though.

3. Denarius
    Mushroom

not a problem

TPP will fix consumer protection issues. Was TPP copied from the Rules of Acquistion perchance ?

1. Black Betty

Was thinking this myself. Re: TPP

The blanket meta regulation which forces all treaty partners to abide by the lowest common regulatory denominator, could well see future warranties become comparable to those which once came with "genuine" designer goods purchased in a Kowloon flea market.

4. Big-nosed Pengie

It's OK

The Trans Pacific Partnership will solve all these problems.

Your iThing is a crock? Stiff shit.

5. xyz Silver badge

Yup, I've been on the receiving end of Apple's warranty policy

Bought 1 Apple product and never again. I now automatically associate Apple with a second hand car lot and just imagine some Arthur Daley type in a T shirt trying to flog me a polished turd.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have never needed to use the warranty on an apple device, mainly because I have never had an issue. And I suspect that perhaps I never will.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Same here

But I've never had an issue due to not having the need to buy myself a iProduct. Then again, my mental health is stable enough that I don't need to validate myself with an iShiney.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Same here

I don't think it's about unstable mental health (well not all the time anyway). I honestly think that the majority of iShiney users have them simply because it's the easy choice, and the user basically can't be arsed looking at (better) alternatives.

Then there are a few iShiney users who are forced into iShiney world because the device belongs to (or is reimbursed by, bought by, etc) their employer: many companies support only iShineys because implementing proper security on a wider range of devices involves more effort... which now that I think about it amounts to the same thing as in my first paragraph: they can't be arsed.

iShiney = the lazy choice.

2. Alan Denman

Yes, Aussies have gone all soft.

Real men are glad to know that when we eat our steak and kidney pie, that scrumptious kidney might just have got someone an iPhone.

Statutory rights, warranties and stuff like that are for softies.

7. Adam 1

> erect a web page explaining its policies

Although the link will probably be put below the fold using fancy CSS trickery.

1. John Bailey

Because that worked so well last time..

2. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Pint

Meh

As an Old Pro once told me, "seen one erection, seem them all"

8. kiwimuso

"cruelling punters"?

And was I under the impression that our Aussie mates actually spoke a form of English, despite their many euphemisms.

Tsk, tsk!

Mind you, we have some weird sayings as well, but I think that this is stretching the bounds of English just a little too far.

Queue some down votes because "I'm just not with it, man".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: "cruelling punters"?

Queue some down votes because "I'm just not with it, man".

Was that meant to be ironic or did you not realise that "queue" and "cue" are different words?

1. kiwimuso
        Facepalm

Ironic? No. Just having a senior moment and not thinking hard enough.

Of COURSE it's bloody 'cue'!

Sorry.

2. Swarthy

Agreed. "Verbing weirds language" - Calvin & Hobbes

1. kiwimuso
        Pint

Aha, but the punchline, I like immensely.

"Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding." - Calvin & Hobbes

Sadly for some people, it is already an impediment - and that's just standard English, be it the U.S. version or the rest of the world's version(s).

Beer, for no other reason than looking at that tall frosty amber liquid with a beautiful head on top makes me crave one. Off to the fridge!

/*/NEWSFLASH/*/

Oh no! I just noticed "dudding customers" as well.

Is this guy Sharwood REALLY a journalist, or just someone they pulled in off the street to write the story. Or maybe he's just being 'ironic' as well - I hope!

9. gannett
    FAIL

It's just so "Me too"

Apple got a slap from EU for exactly the same thing. see http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

and when you have had a MBP 2012 laptop costing £1400 need a £470 new logic board after 14 months you will understand the need to do this. Pity USA folks that don't buy the extended warranty or those many folks with 2011 15' MacBookPro with failing Graphics chips (again) in forum https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?start=375&tstart=0

10. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like