back to article Sensation: Chinese Jade Rabbit FOUND ON MOON

China's Jade Rabbit (Yutu) moon rover is on Luna's surface and ready to roll. As China's National Space Administration's website hasn't had meaningful updates since 2009, we're reliant on state media service Xinhua for the news that the Chang'e-3 lander touched down safely and Jade Rabbit is now rolling about Luna's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    1. Martin Budden Silver badge
    2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Most

Most of the technology has been "borrowed" from the Americans.

Still when China set up their permanent moon base next year, plant a flag and claim it as a new territory, Mr. Obama can sit back and satisfied remembering the day he cut NASA funding.

1. Charles Manning

Bloody cheating Chinese.... It's outrageous

They should have stolen the tech from Germans like the USAians and Russians did.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Bloody cheating Chinese.... It's outrageous

Don't forget they also stole from the Brits. Miles M.52 springs to mind

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Most

It's probably running XP and the Chinese space agency is controlling it using a web interface running pirate copy of XP with IE6.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"It's probably running XP and the Chinese space agency is controlling it using a web interface running pirate copy of XP with IE6."

If that were so, kudos to them for their budget control.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Headmaster

Thanks Obama!

Still when China set up their permanent moon base next year, plant a flag and claim it as a new territory, Mr. Obama can sit back and satisfied remembering the day he cut NASA funding.

Oh, so Obama cut back NASA and ate YOUR MOM's apple pie?

You can fault Obama for a lot but a cutter he ain't. He has the full power of the printing press behind him.

Proposed NASA Budget Cuts Spark Bitter Debate in Congress

A NASA authorization bill drafted by the Republican majority of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology proposes to slash NASA's funding to $16.6 billion for 2014 — $300 million less than it received in 2013, and $1.1 billion less than President Obama requested for NASA in 2014. The bill — which authorizes spending levels but provides no actual funding — would roll back NASA’s funding to a level $1.2 billion less than its 2012 budget. Democratic members of the committee spoke strongly against the proposed cuts, which Republicans say are necessary under the federal sequestration cuts prompted by the Budget Control Act of 2011.

2. mikecoppicegreen

If it aint broke, don't fix it :)

3. Joe User
            Trollface

If that were so, kudos to them for their budget control.

But when it gets a BSOD, who's going to press the Reset button?

3. RISC OS

Most assemebled in america computers are assembled from parts created in china... what's your point?

4. John Bailey

"Most of the technology has been "borrowed" from the Americans."

Who "borrowed" it from the Germans.

1. Don Jefe

To be fair, technology from the Germans was a prize of war. Losing your technology developments and expertise are some of the downsides of losing a war. That's the way it has always worked. Had things gone differently, Germans would claim leadership in radar, encryption, space exploration, aviation and vodka.

Holmes

Life would by like a manly Perry Rhodan novel!

And hopefully not like that PKD story, "The Man in the High Castle".

But you must note that the US had Goddard (ignored) and the Soviets had Korolev (sent to the gulag to mine coal until death until there was a sudden impressive need for expertise).

2. DrGoon

To be fair, technology from the Americans was a prize of war. There may be a few more billionaires in the US, but they're playing for highly outsourced multinational corporations, not the real home team.

3. No, I will not fix your computer

>>To be fair, technology from the Germans was a prize of war.

The hardware, to some extent yes - although the land race between the Russians and the Americans could mean it was "stolen from underneath the Russians"

The people, no, that was definitely stolen, instead of the (known) war criminals being punished for their part in the suffering (such as the camp at Dora) the Americans doctored false histories and work permits for the ex Nazis to be allowed to (il)legally work for the US. This was in stark contrast to the Russians who never let any captured Germans to work directly on their missile programs, and had either repatriated or charged all their detainees by 1951.

>>Losing your technology developments and expertise are some of the downsides of losing a war.

Not for those who ended up safe from trial in the US, even Arthur Rudolph was allowed to escape back to Germany after the statute of limitations for his crimes had expired (leaving him drawing a pension from the US). As usual, the "downsides" of war were not suffered by those instigating and manufacturing the war, but the every day people who died in the camps and under the bombs.

>>That's the way it has always worked. Had things gone differently, Germans would claim leadership in radar, encryption, space exploration, aviation and vodka.

Actually, I think you'll find that Russia was ahead in most of these areas, Germany was financially "all in" with no possibility of going back because their economy was already ruined, the only option was to attempt to win whilst already being overdrawn (kind of like the US is now).

5. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Still when China set up their permanent moon base next year, plant a flag and claim it as a new territory, Mr. Obama can sit back and satisfied remembering the day he cut NASA funding."

Apparently, the education crisis continues unabated.

First, the moon is open to *all* nations, do Google "Outer Space Treaty". Let me help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

Second, Obama didn't cut anything. The US Congress sets the budget. NASA's budget was cut by Bush the Lesser, along with the space shuttle program being shuttered by Bush the Lesser.

Damn, but our education system has turned out incredibly ignorant, selective memory, parroting their betters, idiots.

Perhaps ancient Athens had the right of it, the idiot may not vote. Only the educated professional could.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"First, the moon is open to *all* nations,"

Although I agree in principle, if the Chinese do set up a moonbase, who is to stop them claiming some of the moon? I could see lots of huffing and puffing at the UN while China just gets on with whatever they want. Pretty much everyone buys more from China than they sell to them. China owns large chunks of "western" debt. In term of capitalism, they've got the US beat. That gives them some big sticks to beat the "west" with.

Russia "lost" the cold war because the US spent them into the ground. In those terms, China is the new USA.

1. Don Jefe

Everyone likes to talk about the UN or the NATO or other entities and alliances who 'protect' things, but the fact of the matter is that whoever can take something can have it for as long as they can hold on to it. That's how countries are made, how they've always been made and how they will be made in the future and there's fuck all anyone can do about it if the expanding entity can't be beaten militarily. Brute force still runs the world, don't think for a second it doesn't.

If China decides to claim the Moon and can defend its claims then it will belong to China. Full stop, end of story.

That being said, China is not the new US. People who talk about globally expansionist China obviously haven't bothered to see what China says on the matter. The Chinese do not give one fuck about the rest of the world. Absolutely no cares at all, zero. They actually go to great lengths to tell people that, but the proles don't listen.

The last two decades of China's Commercialization have been undertaken with the sole goal being the creation of their own middle class they can sell their own wares to. They don't care, at all, about dominating trade, or anything else, outside China. They've reduced their external investment nearly 20% this year and have a 15 year roadmap to reduce their current outside investment nearly 70%. Their middle class is beginning to stabilize and the country is going back into its shell.

There's a reason nobody considers China a superpower, not even a greater power, even China themselves. They don't want to play with the rest of the world. We think we're using them for great deals on labor, but they're using us to build themselves a nice little country where all our bullshit doesn't bother them at all. I can't say I blame them either.

My point is, they don't want the Moon.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What no one has seen

It wouldn't surprise me if a little door opened on the side and a few Chinamen in space suits got out and started walking around. Pound for pound they are generally smaller than Americans so more can be carried in the payload.

The obesity crisis in the USA was responsible for cutting back manned flight, the fuel costs to get the Americans up into space were astronomical.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Well done China.

Landing stuff on other worlds/moons is not easy. Great job!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well done China.

As anyone who has played Kerbal Space Program knows!

But it gets easier. :)

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Well done China.

"Landing stuff on other worlds/moons is not easy."

Landing stuff on other worlds is as easy as getting that stuff to those worlds. In short, not very hard.

Landing stuff and having it survive the landing, the radiation, thermal stresses, etc and work, now *that* is hard!

Great job, China!

3. tempemeaty

Go China!

Being in the US and watching NASA going about the business of avoiding manned missions beyond earth orbit and doing little to nothing with the moon, I"m hoping China finds a ton of things there that shame NASA and the Gov. Let the new space race begin!

1. taxman

Re: Go China!

China could find a ton of stuff left behind by the US and stuff sent there by USSR.

Or perhaps the odd golf ball or two.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Unhappy

Or perhaps the odd golf ball or two.

At least there's little chance of them being hidden in long grass. Still - I wouldn't put it past the buggers to find something to hide in. Anyone wanting to understand stealth technology could do worse than study a golf ball :(

1. apjanes

"At least there's little chance of them being hidden in long grass."

No, but the sand trap's a bitch!

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"China could find a ton of stuff left behind by the US and stuff sent there by USSR."

It *would* be funny if the PRC sends a mission in the future that uncovers the old reflectors that the US lost back in the 1970's and brings them back into operation.

4. John Tserkezis

I'm impressed.

A photocopier doing dounuts.

I would have been impressed even if it were in the back parking lot, but the moon, even more so.

1. Ronny Cook

Final Frontier

The next lander will incorporate a DVD duper. The moon being extraterritorial, I suspect Earthly copyright laws don't necessarily apply.

China: To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly copy where no man has copied before!

2. Dazed and Confused

Re: I'm impressed.

Photocopiers on the moon,

makes a change from mooning on the photocopier

5. raving angry loony
    Coat

Hey, are they using the same sound stage that NASA used when they faked the 1969 moon landings?

yeah, yeah, do let the door hit me on the way out...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Obviously fake - the flag is red.

We know from the Apollo landings that the moon is B&W

1. MrT

B&W...??

I know Bowers & Wilkins were used at Skywalker Sound, but I didn't know they had their own stage... ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Hey, are they using the same sound stage that NASA used when they faked the 1969 moon landings?

I don't know about that, but it certainly looks like they're using cameras from that era.

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Communist nations 2, Capitalist nations 1

Although the capitalists still win on countback due to them having landed and returned 12 men.

Good job China, see you can do good things!

1. Tom 7

Re: Communist nations 2, Capitalist nations 1

In that case do the Vikings win America?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"In that case do the Vikings win America?"

I doubt that they'd want it now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

China seems to make a lot of money, hardly the "commies" you talk about.

The commies are now the USA:

MUH SPENDIN'

MUH PENTAGON SPENDIN'

Holy shit, there was some laissez-faire under all that lard, I am sure....

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Holy shit, there was some laissez-faire under all that lard, I am sure...."

The only thing that laissez-faire can apply to in the US budget is for the DoD and black budget. Hands off of those or one's political career is ended.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Conspiracy Theory - Shadow's angles

Whats wrong with copying "that" from America ?

De (ng) ja vu ? Anyone ?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

400,000km

to shoot a selfie. Next it'll be twerking.

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I'm just disappointed they named the probe 'Jade'

'Jessica Rabbit on moon' is a much nicer headline.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm just disappointed they named the probe 'Jade'

Or 'Rampant'.

http://www.saatchigallery.com/dealers_galleries/FullSizeArtWork/dg_id/20727/image_id/211470/imageno/6

10. Joey

I wonder how long it will be before the first Lunar Chinese Restaurant opens? Fu Yung Moon

1. roytrubshaw

McDonalds on the moon

"I wonder how long it will be before the first Lunar Chinese Restaurant opens?"

Anyone remember Lunar Lander on the GT40/VT11* and the only McDonalds on the moon?

Happy Days.

(*Buy one get a PDP-11 free!)

1. Peter Simpson 1

Re: McDonalds on the moon

Oh, yeah. They had a GT40 setup at the DEC Westfield plant where I worked a couple of summers while in Uni. I was miserable at it, but impressed by the game.

Stumbled onto the Chinese landing and watched the whole thing "live" on the web as it touched down. Very impressive and totally autonomous, even to the point of hovering while it searched for and chose a suitable landing site.

11. Thecowking

Wow

First controlled lunar landing in my lifetime and the comments pages are full of petty racism.

Really? They did what no one else has had the gumption or ability (or both) to do in over 40 years and people decide it's all a cheat or worthless because they're not white? Or time for some good old racial stereotyping, I mean after all it's not like the Chinese have any track record in innovation over the last six millenia is it?

I can't decide if it's just jealousy or plain bigotry. I'm normally pretty thick skinned, I've made my share of dentist time jokes, but this is a truly remarkable achievement and it's being mocked simply because it wasn't the West that did it.

I'm going to get a lot of downvotes for being a sanctimonious prick (probably true), but this event deserved more than some back handed compliments and petty racism.

For shame.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm going to get a lot of downvotes

Not from me. I appreciate jokes, even some racist ones, but I think some of the commentards weren't joking at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm looking forward to Wuxia Movies made on the Moon. The martial arts should be amazing.

1. Zot

"I'm looking forward to Wuxia Movies made on the Moon. The martial arts should be amazing."

Hey, I didn't expect diary to come in between assault vehicles and assault ships!

2. T. F. M. Reader

Re: Wow

I don't disagree with you where real petty racism is concerned, but:

a) I really suspect you misread a significant amount of history-rooted irony - and bitterness? - targeted largely at the West (and maybe Russia to an extent) that you needn't find too contrary to your position. There may be more or less fortunate ways of expressing historical allusions and ironic chuckles in web comments, but frankly, I do not detect too much genuine malice in this case.

b) You should not forget that there have been several controlled martian landings of highly successful autonomous and remotely controlled rovers in your lifetime (I am guessing a lower limit on your age here, forgive me). Dismissing them out of hand would be a bit unfair, with no disrespect to China's impressive achievement.

1. Uffish

Re: history related irony

a). You say history related irony I say spoiled brats having a little temper tantrum.

b) Spot on. The USA has nothing to worry about space-race-wise.

2. No, I will not fix your computer

>>You should not forget that there have been several controlled martian landings of highly successful autonomous and remotely controlled rovers in your lifetime

Technically a "controlled landing" means landing something in a controlled manner, chute/balloons are not controlled, but retarded, and curiosity was a hybryd, a controlled payload drop with a "crashed" landing stage, although I do agree "Dismissing them out of hand would be a bit unfair", and curiosity was definitely a bit special, however, a controlled landing is far more relevant when it comes to it's applicability for human space travel, after all, you'd hope it's not a one way trip, and soft landing a return module is critical for that.

3. ian 22

Cowking, have you forgotten context? This IS el Reg after all.

4. Spoonsinger

Re: Wow, 40 years, bla, bla, racism.

It's probably only an indicator of peoples fears that other people have caught up - mind it's taken 40 years, so what are they moaning about?

World wide human society has had only a very few number of actual innovators who came up with new ideas, (mad or otherwise) - the rest are worrying about their mortgage or how to feed their nine children in a desert, (etc). However it also has a very efficient economic structure which can distribute those ideas. In the past it took time for those ideas to propagate - now it's somewhat different. Just live with the fact that people are a) frightened of change, b) other people thrive on it, c) change is going to happen whether you like it or not.

12. thesykes

All they have to do is trundle over to where the lunar rover was left, take a pic of an empty space and let the conspiracy theorists explode. They can ask their friendly North Korean Photoshop experts to knock something up.

1. ian 22

I call conspiracy

The Jade Rabbit shown here on Terra was wrapped in gold foil, while the one shown (purportedly) on Luna is clad in silver! Hah! Explain that, comrad!

13. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Surprised

No one mentioned the Toy Franchise yet?

The Chinese are missing out not having at least two toy versions:

"lego" clone version

"Tomy" ready made remote controlled version

For rich kids (Geek Adults):

iPhone controlled version with camera

Chassis for Raspberry Pi/Ardunio with the dish as a functional 5.8GHz WiFi link.

My coat has an Argos Catalogue in one pocket and ToysRus in the other.

Great Achievement. After all they didn't steal German Factories and Scientists in 1945 though fought the Japanese to a standstill, while having a civil war and occasionally fighting Russians (pre 1939).

14. Van

Some of you should stop being jealous. You'll be able to buy your own from dealextreme next year ;)

15. Flywheel
    WTF?

So *that's* where our £27 million went! Money well spent eh?

16. RISC OS

An easy way to get funding back fro nasa...

...hack the jade rabbit and run down the american flag.

The US will have no problem funding moon landings to raise it again.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

set course for the sea of tranquility

lets see how long before the us starts testing nukes on the moon suface.

1. Mtech25
      Mushroom

Re: set course for the sea of tranquility

Well it has been in planning since 1958

2. cray74

Re: set course for the sea of tranquility

The US abandoned the idea of nuking the moon in the 1950s. Today, there's far too much dollar value in space hardware in cislunar space to be scrambled by the x-ray pulse of a vacuum nuclear detonation to consider it, unless a Texas-sized alien spaceship needs to be disposed of by Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Jade Rabbit" what a name !

was I the only person who when they read "Jade Rabbit" thought the Chinese were going to make sex toys for fat and ugly Essex girls ? not that there's too many fat and ugly girls in Essex, just quite a few thick ones .

( from a fat and ugly Essex boy )

Pint

Re: "Jade Rabbit" what a name !

Pass the mind bleach please.

19. Gobhicks

A bit of perspective needed

Personally I'm delighted to see humans pursuing the exploration of space and the things in it, and kudos to the Chinese for joining in.

But:

a) They haven't done anything that hasn't been done before

b) It would be remarkable if a nation of their size, wealth and capabilities couldn't do this, it's just a question of them deciding it's worth their while

c) Millions of people walk about with more computing power in their pockets than was used to accomplish the last soft landings on the moon, including missions that got real live people there and back again.

Come on China, do something pioneering and really impress us!

1. MajorTom

Re: A bit of perspective needed

The point is, they're training a new generation of rocket scientists / program managers / engineers how to fly spacecraft. Doesn't matter that this has been done before, you need to start with a smaller scale project.

They're being very methodical, more tortoise than hare ("Rabbit" notwithstanding).

2. Chozo

Re: A bit of perspective needed

Be careful what you wish for - old chinese proverb

If the Chinese have copied much of the tech from the Americans little Martian rovers then Jade Rabbit could be still going like the Energizer bunny a decade from now.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like