back to article JK Rowling badmouths eBay

The row continues between eBay and Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. As the world awaits the seventh and final Potter tome, the Indian Express reports that eBay has filed papers with the High Court in New Delhi, claiming that Rowling and her representatives are causing the company "immense humiliation and harassment." The two …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hate2Register

Ebay gets a wand up it's $£&*

You'd think that the high-rollers at Ebay would have settled this little embaressment ages ago. But no, they have to try to force Harry Potter to eat his own wand.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not surprised

I've been overall satisfied (and no doubt lucky) with ebay and my dealings with them. My account has never been hijacked, and I've never had more than a minor dispute in hundreds of transactions. But the thought of having to contact them to resolve ANYTHING makes me cringe. Even in my attempts to contact them over minor tribulations & when reporting fraudulent auctions, they treat you like a machine, and good luck getting anything but a general form letter in response. While I understand that there's plenty of scammers, morons, and generally disgruntled people out there that abuse the system, perhaps customers with many transactions and great feedback should be rewarded with a ticket to a higher level of customer service. "The customer is always expendable" seems to be their motto...

3. heystoopid

Not unsurprised

Not unsurprised , as the wheels of justice in India , operate to their own perverted logic and grind exceedingly slowly , for even now much of Union Carbide's Bohpal's settlement has yet to be passed onto the surviving victims , and the ex chairperson of Union Carbide who deliberately scammed and levered the US State Department , into giving him a free get out of jail card for life card for the multiple involuntary manslaughter charges and deliberate breaches of assorted health and safety regulations left over from past colonial times (it's not called Foggy Bottom , for nothing , and whilst he resides in America , to this day State still refuses to extradite him to face all charges!) .

Or how soon we forget , the artfully evasive Indian resident by the name of Harshad Mehta's along with his brothers financial pyramid round robin disaster of the early nineties which in turn cost both the Indian State and Government Bank's directly involved in the scam a very large slice of their depositors invested savings in this unregistered speculation. In response the Indian Government Officials took local bribes , then fined the Foreign Owned banks which were indirectly involved in the scam , let off all the local Indian born resident embezzlers involved in the scam! , and then used the fine from the Foreign banks which had been held in escrow since 1992 to cover the bulk of the internally embezzled Indian Bank funds!

So why indeed , should the US owned "Ebay" believe itself to be above the law and seek a speedy end to the past owners fraud(they should have put in escrow the bulk 90% of the payment to the previous owner pending outcome of any legal restitution due under Indian Law!)

Sadly , those that fail to heed the lessons in history about India and it's convoluted financial mismanagement at all levels of Government, do repeat the same mistakes!

4. Jim Hunter

Scary..

.... so all the organisations including the NHS that are prepared to offshore all their database handling, records, financial transactions etc. have considered the implications. After all it only takes a very small number of people involved to flog a lot of ID information

5. Chris Miller

Not good for JK's image either

Remind me, how much did Ms Rowling earn in royalties last year? Do her representatives on Earth really need to get so excited about squeezing a few dollars more from some of the poor (OK and eBay as well).

6. Martin H Watson

eBay Jim, but not as we knew it

Three or four years ago I used to use eBay quite a lot. It was an environment that was honourable and there were lots of bargains. I recently decided to look at eBay to buy a Web cam. I was shocked at some of the negative feedback given but my biggest moan was the number of companies listing items as 'buy it now' for little more than 99p and then charging £10 first class post and packing, from English addresses. This is a clear avoidance of eBay fees and I reported several such listings. Unfortunately eBay do not provide any feed back to me as to whether my complaints were justified. Should I bother continuing to report this flagrant cheating?

It's eBay Jim, but not as we knew it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

B*******'s..

Aren't they? I mean, first the stupid yanks rename the book to "Sorcerer's Stone", even though there's a historical reason why it's called the Philosopher's Stone (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Flamel), but then they go and try to rip off our books (our being the British Empire... :p). It's very disrespectful, yet quite typical of Ebay, who as many others before me have said, have a very shit idea of what customer value means.

Thumbs down for Ebay.

Re: Chris Miller

So what? Let's say she made a bundle, but that's her right, she wrote the books and regardless of whether she made x amount of gbp last year, that doesn't strip her of her right to nip ebay in the arse.

I say go get them, JK!

8. Giles Jones Gold badge

Hasn't she got enough money?

While nobody would want to see pirate copies of their work on ebay, she is a multi millionaire.

I guess she is looking beyond Harry Potter when her popularity may decline. I'm not sure she can create another line of books as successful as the Potter books.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Immense humiliation and harassment."

"Immense humiliation and harassment" - terms some people link to Ebay's (and PayPal's) terms of service.

10. Andre Carneiro

eBay: a good idea, absolute cr*p service

On the couple of occasions I had to deal with eBay support I found their service to be slow, incompetent and inefficient.

Like someone said: eBay's motto seems to be "the customer is expendable".

JK Rowling maybe be loaded, but so are the founders of eBay, so THAT argument wins no sympathy from me. At least JK does HER job properly.

Nah, I say "Go, girl, and hit them for all you can!".

"Immense harassment and humiliation to eBay" indeed.... Hah!

11. Jim

Ebay is a monopoly where you do not get to pass 'go'.

Ebay sellers are fed up with ever increasing commission fees; buyers are fed up with getting scammed. But where else is there to go?

Have a google for "SS2BM" where disgruntled Ebayers can take part in an event called 'Summer Solstice Blue Moon". The idea is to raise the profile of alternatives to Ebay.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eBay and piracy

eBay couldn't care less about piracy. I bought a boxed set of DVDs through eBay advertised as being originals in the original shrink wrap. The buyer had a several-thousand rating, was an eBay top-seller, his own shop - you name it. In short, I trusted the eBay system.

The disks were pirated DVD-Rs (very well printed). I contacted eBay straight away, but their answer was pretty much 'get stuffed'. I filed a dispute and made clear I was willing to provide the disks to eBay as evidence. They ruled against me. When I went to their pages that talk about piracy and tried to raise the issue as a case of breach of copyright I got the standard 'eBay takes all cases of breach of copyright extremely seriously' automatic response, then nothing.

Not that the original copyright holders were much more interested. So much for that F---ing annoying unskipable advert FACT puts on the front of every DVD.

Six months later I got scammed on Amazon when one of their resellers (again very high reputation, claiming original disks) shipped blatant fakes. To their credit Amazon did refund the money, but they have never closed the seller's account.

I can only conclude these companies make too much money from buyers prepared to accept pirated goods to go to the trouble of enforcing copyright.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

piracy = money for eBay

If eBay did care about piracy they'd employ a team of 'counterfeit hunters' to spend all their time just looking for fakes & scams in the most popular areas of eBay that fakes & scams appear in. But the only way listings are pulled and accounts suspended are when someone rats on the listings/sellers, apparently a lot of the time it's rival sellers trying to quash their competition.

But the lowly bidder doesn't really have much weight when it comes to informing eBay about counterfeit DVDs etc, if the DVDs in the listing look authentic (ie, all the relavent age rating, content specs & most importantly a fake barcode on the back) then there's extremely little chance of the auction getting cancelled, even when the content on the DVDs haven't even been officially released on DVD anywhere in the world, and even when the copyright owner is a VERO member and informs eBay the auction listings are for items breaking copyright laws.

From eBay's point of view it would be counter-productive to put more effort into stopping it because of the cost involved and the reduced revenue from no sales of counterfeit goods through their site.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pay Pal Better

I've recently had disputes with 2 Chinese suppliers on Ebay purporting to supply from UK address's. They goods were either not as described or just didn't arrive. Ebay were useless but Paypal were surprisingly supportive.

In the case of none delivery I got my money back less £15 and in the other case the whole amount.

Also if you dig around in Paypal's automated phone system you can eventually speak to a real live human who I found was very helpful. Action within 2 days of phone call, now that's why I continue to use Paypal.

15. MattW

"goodwill and reputation"?!

How can you damage what doesn't exist?

Matt

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pay Pal Better??? WTF!!!!

>>now that's why I continue to use Paypal.<<

But you actually noticed that PayPal is a) no auction house itself, b) that PayPal is a payment processor only c) PayPal and EBay are in essence the same company under the same ownership?

Carry on trying to sell your stuff over Paypal pal. If you should ever succeed we all would be interested to hear about it.

Your comment is rejected because of missing knowledge...

17. bond Bond

re: Pay Pal Better??? WTF!!!!

I cannot agree more! Once you are in their system, they are in control over everything.

18. Nix

'Big Surprise'

E-Bay dragging it's heels and refusing to take action against a nefarious seller who generates profits?

Perish the thought!

Whether or not JK 'has plenty of money' seems besides the point to me. If some impoverished reader would rather scavenge across the web for a free copy of her latest book than pony up the cash, so be it. But printing, binding and selling them?

Come on now, I think that's pushing it.

19. Daniel Ballado-Torres

Copyright? Hah!

Maybe its me being Mexican, but copyright infringement is so commonplace over here, that someone ratting out "PIRACY!!!" would just get laughed upon. Even by the cops!

Then of course, paying full price and then getting duped by receiving pirated goods ... well that would infuriate anyone. Especially if it's baaad quality. (Or not even what you asked, I remember a friend getting reamed when he bought "Spiderman (2002)", then found out he had actually been sold that crappy 70's "spiderman" movie. Ow.)

But there's a lot of semi-legal stuff on sale in eBay or MercadoLibre (the Latin American eBay): some sellers buy stuff in the US, smuggle it illegally, then sell it by MercadoLibre. Voila! Your illegal imports are sold "legally" and you've successfully circumvented import laws.

Now I don't see eBay going after these guys ... they make up most sales in the MercadoLibre subsidiary.

20. Laie Techie

JK Rowling Site

I've noticed that on her site, Rowling often states that readers shouldn't buy or believe "leaked" manuscripts on eBay, but that doesn't go as far as harassment or libel, does it?

This topic is closed for new posts.