back to article New York City plans massive free Wi-Fi zone

New York is poised to set up a huge free Wi-Fi program that could reach 80,000 people. Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the NYC Technology Development Corporation and Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications will set up the network in Harlem's business districts. Under the plan, a wireless network will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dick Emery

'Pinch' & zoom

Insert jokes about purloined fondleslabs. Bonus pints(sic) for not making any racial references.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At this very moment

teams of lawyers working for the Telco's and Cable companies are preparing lawsuits to stop this idea in its tracks if the experiences of other states is anything to go by.

In some places their 'bought and paid for' politicians have passed laws forbidding municipal wifi schemes.

I wish him luck (is it re-election time already?) but this is probably doomed to fail miserably.

3. Ragarath
    Trollface

All linked to

An 8Mbps ADSL connection that may or may not be running at full speed on a good day, if the wind, moon and stars are being nice.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Harlem.

Get ready for a surplus of 'almost new' access points on Fleabay.

5. Sir Sham Cad

SIngle service provider

Where I've seen "free Wi-Fi City" actually work There has been a number of private providers depending on the area. If there is one company going to get the contract to provide a large-scale infrastructure then that's a lot of pork that someone else isn't getting. I agree with AC (09:49) that those who aren't getting any pork and yet see their business undermined are going to raise hell. However the fact is that it's easier and a lot faster to implement several small infrastructure projects than one huge one and for that fact alone I remain sceptical that this will work as planned.

6. Wemb

Given there was a starbucks on almost every other block, I'd says it already has a free wifi cloud. I certainly didn't need to ever walk very far to get a signal from a free wifi connection last time I visited.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Im for public wi-fi

Where i live, the telcos decided to configure the home routers with a private and an open wi-fi lan. That way they can provide thousands of hot-spots without installing outdoor antennas. Your bill don't get lower despite the fact that its you who is provinding the electricity...but, New York or any other city in the world, could make arrangements with the telcos and pay for that free hotspots and maybe the costumers could get a disccount on their monthly bill. The problem is, how to prevent the telcos go mafia-style and fix higher prices between them...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like