back to article Just when you were considering Red Hat Linux 6.5, here comes 7

Mere weeks after shipping the final version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.5, Shadowman has announced the first public beta of RHEL 7. "Simply put, we believe Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 represents the future of IT," the company said in a press release. No, really. Describing the new version as its "most ambitious …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I wonder if they've hired any tech writers in the last 2 years

Somehow I really doubt it.

1. Infidellic_
      Thumb Down

Re: I wonder if they've hired any tech writers in the last 2 years

If the sheer amount of TODO statments in their RHEL 6 -> 7 migration document is anything to go by I'd say not:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html-single/Migration_Planning_Guide/index.html#_file_system_formats

2. Paul Johnston

Not sure...

Not sure I want "most ambitious release to date," what I want is something stable and robust, evolution not revolution.

See Maria DB is in and firewalld.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not sure...

Carry on using 6.x then.

1. Nigel 11

Carry on using 6.x then. Until 2020

Or even 5.x (EOL in 2017, with three years extended support available after that) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Version_history

2. andro

Yeah, start testing it if you want and submit bugs to the trackers. But dont plan on using it in production in 2014.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

"Stay on target, Red"

2. keithpeter Silver badge
        Linux

Beta DVD... was Re: Not sure...

...downloaded and dd'ed to USB stick and boots into installer OK. I'll put it on the 'messing about' laptop and keep the 'proper work' laptop on CentOS 6.

I like CentOS 6.x as a desktop, we shall see what RHEL 7 looks like with Classic or KDE. Rumours of some wifi drivers being taken out of the kernel (mostly a server OS after all).

3. Velv
    Trollface

Red Hat, Fedora, Oracle, Kernel, 2.5 6.5, 7.0, 3.10 3.80.

This is even more confusing than Microsoft ...

4. Mad Jack

and will it have python > 2.4 FINALLY?

I'll believe it when I see it.

1. pixl97

Re: and will it have python > 2.4 FINALLY?

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -q python

python-2.7.5-10.el7.x86_64

[root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Everything release 7.0 Beta (Maipo)

2. TrevorH

Re: and will it have python > 2.4 FINALLY?

You seem to have missed RHEL 6 entirely then. It's had python 2.6.6 since 2010 when it was released.

5. pixl97

Much needed packages finally here.

I installed downloaded the boot iso and did a net install inside a virtualbox today. The install worked rather well. Many things like setting the root password could be done while the packages were installing allowing the installer to do 2 things at once. Systemd and firewalld are going to take some getting used to though. The updated httpd-2.4, mariadb(mysql)5.5, and updated php were much needed.

6. Daniel von Asmuth
    Windows

Samba 4

We have been told that with the release of Samba 4 Linux can be used as an Active Directory domain controller.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like