back to article Nokia offers India £224 MEELLION to keep Microsoft deal on track

Nokia has made a desperate bid to ensure that one of its largest manufacturing facilities is transferred to Microsoft, by offering the Indian government a Rs2,250 crore ($369m, £224m) deposit to unfreeze its assets. The Finnish phone giant has promised to transfer the cash into an escrow account pending the result of a long- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mikel

A redundant factory

Since Microsoft won't be needing to make so many (any) devices, the factory was redundant anyway.

2. Ralph B

Indian versus UK Guvmint

So, despite their reputation for corruption, the Indian Government does at least seem to be doing something to collect some tax revenue from one of these tricksy multinational corporations. Which is more than the UK's HMR&C seems to have managed to do.

Well done, I say.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tax Revenue?

You assume this deposit (bribe) is going into the government coffers???

Ha

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Love it

Nokia the patent troll gets held up by the Indian Government, now that is Karma.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Love it

Any reason to suggest that Nokia is a patent troll? Other than, of course, your fairly consistent stance of anyone who has anything to do with MS=Bad.

1. Mikel

Nokia the patent troll

This is only one of many patent troll entities set up by Nokia. They partner with others and operate these trolls by remote control to pursue anticompetitive business interests.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Re: Love it @AC 13.19

Not only are you content with hiding your identity, you are also content with hiding your brain from any form of learning, especially where current affairs are concerned.

http://www.trefis.com/stock/nok/articles/208546/nokia-gets-aggressive-at-patent-litigation-after-microsoft-deal/2013-10-07

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Love it @AC 13.19

Yep, I'm perfectly happy to hide my identity. I don't feel the need to build up point, I don't like the abuse and I can speak much more freely about my work if I'm anonymous because my employer can't see my comments. This is another trait of Eadon that you're showing, the reaction against people wanting to remain anonymous. I said to him, what I'll say to you: I've been commenting here since you had to email the journos personally, I'll start using my real name, when everyone else uses their real name. I have no idea if you only comment under your handle, or others or anon as well.

Anyway in answer to your snotty comment (you don't have to abuse poeople just because they have a different opinion to you) A company defending their legitimate patents is not a patent troll.

2. Sir Sham Cad

Re: Love it

Patent troll? Nokia? The same Nokia that The EU Competition commission has a) said isn't currently patent trolling and b) decided is unlikely to start now?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/10/ec_competition_chief_points_trollhunting_guns_at_nokia/

Or did you read the many articles that kind of decided to omit this bit:

"the claims we dismissed were that Nokia would be tempted to behave like a patent troll or – to use a more polite phrase – a patent assertion entity"

4. Squander Two

Thank you...

... for introducing me to the word "crore". Learn something new every day on El Reg, much of it true.

1. Ian 55

Re: Thank you...

1 crore = 100 lakh = 100 x 100,000 = ten million for anyone who needs to look it up.

It's why Indian figures have the commas in - to us - odd places, like 12,34,56,789 = 12 crore, 34 lakh, 54 thousand etc.

The pound must have totally collapsed midway through writing that article though: "Rs.700 crore (£70m)" in one sentence, then "Rs2,080 (£207m)" in the next... only a factor of ten million out.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like