back to article Frustrated fanbois rejoice as Facebook releases MIDAS Mac security tool

Facebook and Etsy have teamed-up to develop and publish as open source a security tool for Apple's Macs, following similar moves by Google. The "Project MIDAS" Mac intrusion detection framework was announced by Facebook in a blog post on Friday, and sees the two companies collaborate on a tool to help companies manage large …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and slowed the pace at which it updated … its workhorse Mac Pro.

Not just that, the MacBook no longer exists, they've beefed up the MacBook Air to "replace" it. Machines like the MacBook A1278 I'm typing this on are a thing of the past.

Today's MacBook Pro is getting skinnier and skinnier. Today, it's basically a slightly fatter MacBook Air with a faster CPU and available with larger SSDs (512GB, versus 256GB in the MacBook Air).

I think someday we'll say goodbye to the MacBook Pro, like we did with the original MacBook.

2. Mike Flugennock
    Devil

Facebook and... Etsy?

Oh, Christ. We are in such trouble.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

MORE Mac malware???

FTFA -"This gives you the ability to quickly audit your assets for threats like IceFog, Dockster, Imuler, Morcut, PubSab, etc," they write.

Wasn't it just a week ago that the fanbois were on here screaming again that Mac users "don't have to worry about Malware"??

Yeah, I'd trust an unsecured Mac. As long as the power cord was ripped out and there was no battery.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: MORE Mac malware???

"Yeah, I'd trust an unsecured Mac. As long as the power cord was ripped out and there was no battery."

I'd trust *any* unsecured computer under the same conditions and further add that all mass storage capability also be removed.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a chance

A thumbs up for effort, but part of the exercise when acquiring tools that have to ensure your security is checking where they come from. In this context, even the slightest whiff of Facebook makes this a no-go from the start (the "get go" was just too obvious, sorry :) ).

So, although I'm happy with someone acknowledging that Macs need securing too (albeit taking less effort to do so), I'm going to say "no thanks". The source of this "help" is too tainted for my liking.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

apple is getting way to political

I just went to the apple website and was greeted with a picture of Nelson Mandela.

Not a fan of Mandela. The U.S labeled him a terrorist for a reason. His wife was convicted of supervising the beating death of a 14 year old boy who did not want to join the ANC.

I am old enough to remember what was really going on, before the press started to rewrite history.

Windows is looking better and better.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: apple is getting way to political

Corporations have free speech. The SCOTUS said so.

There were and are no saints there or anywhere else in the world, but there sure are shitloads of sinners.

As for Windows, I only like it for its job security in keeping it secured.

Personally, I'm typing this out on a MacBook Pro, while the television is playing a show from my MythTV box that runs Linux and heavy storage is on a FreeBSD box.

My wife is the only one using Microsoft Windows. Her primary usage is web e-mail, secondary e-mail I insist she use with me via Thunderbird and she spends way too much time on Facebook, either on the main Facebook site or playing Facebook games.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: apple is getting way to political

The crucial thing about Mandela that everyone seems to miss is that he was a great man because he turned his back on violence. The pretence that he was always whiter than white I feel does him and the anc's cause a disservice.

Companies like Apple seeking to link themselves with his image is a bit puke-making, though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like