back to article NASA opens its Jupiter photo album to honour Pioneer 10

NASA has opened its photo scrapbook to remember the Pioneer 10 spacecraft, which on 4 December 1973 passed within 130,000km of Jupiter, in the process returning some decidedly non-hi-res snaps. Pioneer 10 images of Jupiter. Pics: NASA The agency explains: "Launched on March 2, 1972, Pioneer 10 was the first spacecraft to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. phil dude
    Happy

awesome.....

nice images to start the day...;-)

P.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: storming pictures

Nice images to end the day ;-)

2. Just_this_guy

Very jovial images. (SWIDT?)

You could lose the Earth in the Great Red Spot alone. Make an awesome splash. :)

3. AMB-York Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Come on Nokia

Forget that stuff about taking wedding photos on a phone. Send one up to Jupiter instead.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Come on Nokia

Nowhere near good enough! I want to take pictures of Jupiter like that, from where I'm standing now. On my phone. I expect perfection, naturally.

I don't see why that's any more ludicrous than the people videoing The Rolling Stones on their phone, from the back of the stadium...

1. DiViDeD

"people videoing The Rolling Stones on their phone, from the back of the stadium"

Or the ones whipping out their cameras to take pictures of the Olympic opening ceremony or solar eclipses, after making sure that their flash is on of course. After all, they want every hair on the head of the guy in front of them to be perfectly illuminated

2. Sander van der Wal

Not that hard, actually. Put a proper telescope in front of your smartphone and you're off. And then, put a better camera at the end your your telescope, grab Autostakkert!2, practice (quite) a bit, and you'll be making shots like these: http://www.damianpeach.com/jupiter.htm

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or cyanogens Maxim DL pro.

Or registax

2. DiViDeD

Fully Agreed!

Damian's shots are a brilliant example of what can be done by a (seriously dedicated!) hobbyist from right here on the planet

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

That brings back memories

I followed all the Mariner, Viking, Pioneer, Voyager mission as a kid/youngster. Awesome era of space research. I will raise a glass to this anniversary, and all the engineers and other (other) visionaries involved.

5. wolfetone Silver badge

Surprised NASA didn't put the Cassini photos through Instagram for that "retro-Pioneer" feel to its photographs.

6. Stoke the atom furnaces

New Horizon

Interesting article, but our author could have included New Horizon's flyby of Jupiter on February 28, 2007.

New Horizon came within about 32 Jovian radii (3 Gm or 3M km) of Jupiter as it used the planet for a gravity assist to speed it's way to study the Pluto/Charon system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Horizons#Jupiter_gravity_assist

7. Stevie

Bah!

Bread and circuses for the credulous. These so-called "images" were all hand painted in a secret NASA studio and photographed using specially nerfed cameras with conventional film. No need at all for expensive spaceships.

Indeed I recognize those so-called "Pioneer 10" photos as being derived from art on a card given away with Mr Softee "Zoom" ice-lollies in 1966.

Happy

Re: Bah!

Bah! Yourself. Mr Softee "Zoom" ice lollies are also fakes, created using suggestion and LSD in the water supply. Who'd ever be stupid enough to fall for the idea that milk and water can be served on a stick...

1. Stevie

"Milk"? I fear in your haste to fabricate a counter claim you have selected the wrong confection.

"Zoom" and its Walls-owned knock-off stick-mounted rocketry-themed refreshment "Sky Ray" were both what is known in the trade as "water ice". A bit of flavoured syrup, some water in a mould. Add stick. Fast freeze. Add more water c/w different syrup and freeze. Do that again to provide enticing three-stage frozen snack. Wrap in paper with secret pocket containing delightful card of same format as cigarette cards and tea cards. Sell to children, who will save wrappers and send 2 shillings or so for an album in which to keep the cards.

Milk superfluous to needs.

I thought the zoom had the layer of yoghurt-y stuff on the outside, with the hundreds-and-thousands. Must have been a different rocket shaped one.

Or possibly proof that they were just figments of our collective imaginations...

1. Annihilator
            Coat

"I thought the zoom had the layer of yoghurt-y stuff on the outside, with the hundreds-and-thousands. "

That lolly sounds fab...

Ah yes. Fab. That was it, thanks. They weren't particularly fab in my opinion, more tasteless. But they were rocket shpaed, and surely that's all that matters.

1. pepper

I love you all for being so ridiculously insane! Please dont ever change(The lizard people are coming!).

8. OldBoi

Last pic

That's some selfie

1. Yet Another Hierachial Anonynmous Coward

Re: Last pic

Not that good - I don't see David Cameron bombing in the side......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like