back to article Australian political games could see full TPPA treaty revealed

The Greens in Australia are trumpeting a win after a motion was passed in the Senate calling for the federal government to publish any Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement treaty text before Australia signs on the dotted line. The Greens needed the vote of the federal opposition, the Australian Labor Party, to secure passage of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Scoular

The only reason not to let the public know is that the people are being sold out yet again to US commercial interests. It seems very unlikely that the public interest will be served but business interests will love it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TPPA!

Just let me know when we should all bend over and take it.....

1. Thorne

Re: TPPA!

Where's the trade part? I can see the part where our government promised to sell us out to American interests but I can't see the part where we get anything in return.

We should at least be supplied with vaso...

1. Grikath

Well... That is probably the embarrasing bit..

The whole treaty is just one page, with the text "Bend Over!" in bold print..

2. Euripides Pants

"I can't see the part where we get anything in return"

You get to enjoy the same privileges you have now.

3. Big-nosed Pengie

This is treason, pure and simple.

And as much as I despise the current AU government, I despise their predecessors hardly any less.

1. silent_count

And that's why we don't have the death penalty any more - treason is a capital crime and neither the current nor previous governments fancy being hanged.

I can't help but feel that we should have made Bob Katter the PM.

4. Lapun Mankimasta

The self-same US copyright and "Intellectual Property Rights" regime that's running the US software industry into the ground? Jerry Pournelle once said in his Chaos Manor column in Byte that if a foreign power had imposed the US education system on the US, it would be regarded as an act of war: I think you could say the same thing about the US IPR regime.

1. John Gamble

Hyperbole

Okay... I dislike our current copyright system, and bravo to Australia for shining a light on TPPA negotiations, but "running the US software industry into the ground"? Cite, please?

Speaking of citations, crediting the National Commission on Excellence in Education's famous quote to Jerry Pournelle says something about your own education.

5. alain williams Silver badge

How far in advance ?

2 minutes ? Or something equally slim to avoid changes before it becomes law.

6. i like crisps

Democracy....i remember that....

...died in the 70's didn't it?.....oh wait a minute....we never really had it to begin with did we?

7. ops4096

Minor Party ?

Go the Greens !

8. phil dude
    WTF?

secrets etc...

secret treaties, signed in secret.

That will end well...

P.

9. JaitcH
    Thumb Down

US Fuel additive blocked in Canada but overturned by WTO

There is a US fuel additive, whose name I can't find, that was been blocked for use in Canada as it is poisonous to young children.

A US company used an international agreement to overturn the Canadian law - so now we have this US muck harming Canadian children's health. AND CANADA had to pay MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in damages, too!

Few of these agreements are good and SECRET AGREEMENTS are NEVER good.

P.S. I forgot to add, this muck is banned for use in the USA

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like