back to article Toshiba tweaks SSD model: She's flashy, but she's not dense ENOUGH

Toshiba has rebuilt a 1.6TB SSD originally made with 24nm flash cells and used denser 19nm flash, generating better read performance at the expense of write speed – it wasn't quite made of the write stuff, so to speak. The PX02SM is - was - a 200GB - 1.6TB SSD for enterprise read-intensive applications made from the aforesaid …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. i like crisps
    Big Brother

From the main photograph...

...i'm trying to figure out which one of the chips contains the NSA's backdoor?...a sign of the times i suppose.

2. petur

Acceptable performance trade

write 20MiB/s slower, read 200MiB/s faster... sounds like a good compromise

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slow write, fast reads...

Write slowly to read faster should match home user / consumer / enthusiast patterns, and I would love a 1.6TB drive reading at 900 MiB/s on my personal machine. Please, oh please, continue researching in that direction, to make it cheap even for home users to slap such a beast in a home pc, without dealing with RAID setups.

I once messed around with virtual drives (that borrow from your RAM to create a 'virtual' HDD storage, hence the name) that achieved 1000 MiB/s reading rate. Well, this thing can reach almost the same speed from an actual drive. Impressed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slow write, fast reads...

Actually, it looks ideal for virtual machine image storage. Think the likes of OpenStack Glance, or in VMWare for storing operating system ISOs and images.

Stuff you read from much more than you write to.

4. foxyshadis

Going from 4:1 to 5:1 isn't much.

Dropping to such a low process size is almost entirely about cost savings at this point, so the $/GB will be much more important than raw performance once the real drive comes out.

5. ByteMe
    Thumb Down

SSDs getting slower, not faster

Yikes. Under real workloads, this SSD wasn't that fast to begin with (see review below). Now writes are even slower? This is a perfect example of how all SSDs will get slower as they're forced to move to the more-dense next generation flash. As Toshiba and Samsung race to 19nm or smaller technology to extract bigger die yields (i.e. more profit), SSD manufacturers are going to be forced to transition to it. Doesn't sound promising.

http://www.storagereview.com/toshiba_px02sm_series_enterprise_ssd_review

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like